HG not only in the USA

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

HG not only in the USA

Postby stephensmam » Feb 26, 2007 4:54 am

Hi Dr phil, thank you sooooo very much for doing this show finaly we might get the recognition HG deserves, all to often it is fobbed off as a bit of morning sickness and just eat crackers arghhhhh you dont know how very frustrating that is to here that , this is my story

I had been married over a year to my husband paul we have been together since we were 15 i was 27 at this time we tried to get pg and to our delight it took only 4 months, i remember at 4 weeks pg getting a positive test and was so delighted a week later i started vomiting and thought how cute morning sickness already Oh My God the vomiting never stoped just got more frequent by 5 and a half weeks i was in hospital on a iv drip it was the start of months of addmissions and disgharges for fluids , i vomited constantly i cant count how any times but i just kept retching i burst blood vessels in my eyes had a torn osegeaphus (SP) broken veins on my face i couldnt wash broke out in a hugh amount of spots all over my body had ketosis where my body was literaly shutting down, had a terrible taste in my mouth constantly and a horrible smell of my body , i lost 2 stone in a few weks , my husband had to carry me to the bathroom to bathe as i was too weak to walk and that was very rarely as i just was so ill i didnt even have the energy to wash, i became intimate with my toilet bowl i was constantly vomiting into it, my world changed up till Hg struck i thought id been through some tough stuff .... It debilatates you emotionaly physically and mentaly you feel so alone no one understands and the people who are supposed to look after you ie the drs are mainly cluelass and couldnt care less and are more interested in the "other pg women who really have something wrong with them" i never went back to work from 5 and a half weeks pg till my son was 7 months old , I have alway said that at 17 weeks when i was at my lowest in this pg i really wanted to die i just couldnt do it and because abortion is illegal in Ireland i would have had to get on a plane and go to england i didnt have the energy to get out of bed never mind do that but it did end the worst 9 months of my life and i had a baby boy in 1998 all 8 lbs 7 ozs of him i vomited all through the lablur and till the next day then i was ok it took me a year to recover physicaly from that pg i vowed never again but then i discoverd a web site call the hugs board the baby of this board and i had hope i had finaly found some women like me i wasnt mad or making it up it really was a condidtion and i had it well the support i recieved for the wonderfull girls on that site gave me courage to decide to do this again so 3 years ago i decided to get pg i had hg again and this time it was just as bad but i had a dr picked out and we had a plan so i felt in control i was hospitalised from week 6 till week 13 with no going home this time i had zofran iv and meclizine and b6 i tried everything this time but my saving grace was steroids at week 12 i started taking 45 mgs and by week 13 i was at home weak but eating i had lost about a stone in a week but managed to put it back on with the steroids it reduced my vomiting from 70 plus times a day to about 5 or 6 times i was in and out again till the end of my pg for iv rehydration for a few days or a week at a time but i got through it i dont have any family and my husband had to work so it cost us a lot of money to hire people to look after stephen who was 6 at this time and because he has special needs we had to get quelified people which costs more money, anyway it was all worth it i was on the steriods till week 27 wanted to stay on longer but my dr was reluctant but i got through it and i now have a wonderfull son of 8 and a half and a daughter of 2 and a half .

Dr phil I like everyone else who has had hg would have had more children but i cant go through it again the fear of getting pg by accident is so overwhelming sometimes it affects your sex life in your marraige the pain of not being able to have a child when you know you can get pg is overwhelming i know i have another child that i was supposed to have his name is matthew but im afraid he will have to come as my grandchild because i just cant go through Hg again knowing id be away from my two children for weeks on end i dont think we could all survive that.
that is why it is so important to get the message out that HG is not just sickness it eats away at you you family and your dreams of what you wanted for your life yes i got through it , and i have two healthy children but it was very hard getting there.
sorry this is so long but i wanted to give you a perspective on a non USA woman.

love and hugs
lots of love and hugs Jacqueline
HG pg no 1 28/04/98 darling son Stephen ivs only,pnd
HG pg no 2 01/09/04 darling daughter Sarah ivs , zofran, steroids, meclizine, b6.http://lilypie.com/Kids_Birthday_code.p ... y_code.php#
stephensmam
Been There Done That

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil