My Story

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

My Story

Postby Elie » Mar 01, 2007 4:30 pm

I am on my third and last pregnancy. I've had hyperemesis with the past two but this time was BY FAR the worst! I lost 14 pounds in the first trimester alone. I was hospitalized 4 times overnight for hydration and was in the ER at least twice a week if not more for IV Fluids and Zofran. My insurance didn't cover Zofran in pill form and it was the ONLY drug that made a dent. Caring for my other two kids who are both toddlers during this time was hell. I had nothing to give in the ways of energy or moods. I dragged myself out of bed everyday just for them. When I could eat I could only eat the same things everyday. I am now 7 1/2 mo. along and much better! I've gained back the weight I lost plus ONE pound LOL. I started the pregnancy at 144 pounds and I am now 145. I am anemic but am on iron pills to try and fix that. Its been a long, hard, exhausting, draining, you name it, road. Because of Hyperemesis we have decided not to have anymore children. I just cannot do this again. Physically or emotionally. It really wore on my marriage during those months because my husband had to step up and do EVERYTHING. On my really bad days he had to stay home from work or come home early. My heart goes out to women with Hyperemesis. It is not taken as seriously as it should be by the medical community and people who have never experienced it usually think its all in our heads!
Elie

Postby Susannah » Mar 01, 2007 11:22 pm

Congratulations on making it this far. I am sorry you have suffered through hyperemesis, but am glad you found this forum. I look forwad to seeing you in the postpartum folder in a couple months. Feel free to post in third tri (or anywhere else) if you want. I lurked until third tri and then counted down the days until my due date with the other May moms.
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil