Is it any wonder.....

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

Is it any wonder.....

Postby Natasha » Dec 14, 2006 8:12 pm

...that we brits receive crap care from our docs. I have just been on the NHS website to try and find out about care options and Hyperemesis isn't even in the health encylopaedia. The closest I got was a section on morning sickness which just read

"Morning sickness
Introduction

Many women have nausea or vomiting during early pregnancy. Despite being called morning sickness, some women find the feeling of nausea or sickness can occur at any time throughout the day.

In a few cases, symptoms last the whole day. In most cases morning sickness is mild and needs no treatment. It is a normal part of early pregnancy.

Very rarely vomiting is so severe (hyperemesis gravidarum) that it leads to dehydration (when you are low in body fluid) and serious weight loss, and needs to be treated in hospital.

Most women find that the nausea or sickness is worst at about 9-10 weeks of pregnancy and is over by the 14th week"

Is it any wonder these doctors can't diagnose us properly!!!!
Natasha
Been There Done That

Postby HelenA » Dec 30, 2006 7:44 pm

Yep, I think my dr actually might have read from that website, sounds just like what she said to me..lol And that was AFTER my admission for HG (which was on my notes!!) where I had IV's and antiemetics.

The NHS sucks when it comes to HG. At least my new dr when pg with JJ actually knew what it was and gave me meds before the nausea/vomiting started.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby Natalie » Dec 30, 2006 8:17 pm

I started a thread ages and ages ago so us UK Hgers could rant about how cr@p the NHS is in treating HG patients. It can seriously suck in places.

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

care in the uk........

Postby kk » Jan 12, 2007 9:57 am

Hi all, I must admit that I got the care I needed straight away. There is still alot of room for improvement though especially when it comes to the meds as there is not much choice. Home care would be a really good option to have too. We seem so last season in comparison to the USA!! Someone else put in a post about not taking to the meds over here and I think it is such a shame, especially when it is so real for us hg-ers and the meds can really help. I went to a university hospital in London where they actually had a hyperemesis protocol, there were many other women on the ward with hg too which; I was completely shocked about as I had never even know that hg exsisted till now. When I read some of the horror stories about the treatment some people have had it makes me sad and feel thier pain but also makes me really angry that there can be such an unequal balance in the type of hg care available in the uk. I have found the owrst has been my family and friends having to accept how ill I have been, my partner has been the worst and he still can't understand that at 16 weeks I still have my head in the bin/toilet from time-to-time..... I hope not everyone in the uk has had such a bad time?

KK X X X X X X X
Kate x x x x x x x x
kk
Opinionated HGer

Return to UK Mothers