Can you get Zofran in the UK?

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

Can you get Zofran in the UK?

Postby cheeka » Jan 28, 2007 3:52 am

Hi girls,

I am living in Melbourne at the moment, I am 11 weeks along and have mild HG. I am lucky that most of my symptoms are being effectively controlled by taking zofran. However, there is a possibility that we will be moving to the UK in a couple of months time due to my husband's job. I am hoping to be HG free by then (aren't we all!!), as I managed to be pretty much fluffy by 20 weeks in my first pregnancy.

To put my mind at rest - or to incite huge panic, I want to find out if Zofran is available in the UK or not. I have done so much better with this pregnancy than the last, when all I had was maxalon and stemitil, I don't want to get over there and find out its impossible to get prescribed.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gill.
cheeka
Been There Done That

Postby Natalie » Jan 28, 2007 8:04 am

Hi Cheeka

In short, yes, Zofran is available in the UK. Because we have the NHS here and Zofran is pretty expensive, it can be hard to get hold of and as far as I'm aware, it is a Consultant only prescribed medication. You can't get it from your regular GP although s/he they can refer you to a consultant who would be able to prescribe it if they felt you still required it and couldn't be managed on any other medication. Over here, the Drs do tend to be more conservative about prescribing Zofran than in the US. Btw, they call it Odansetron over here.

Also, I'm not sure if your nationality plays a part?? I assume you would be entitled to treatment on the NHS but you might need to check that out first. Or you may be able to go private - that's another possibility and then you may be able to get Zofran that way.

I hope that you are majorly fluffy by then... you will be able to fly over here and be ok when you get here! Do you know what part of the UK you will be heading to?

Love Natalie, x

Just remembered - I think there was a thread about this ... well, it has some info. that may be useful to you http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?t=6963
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby sarahkate » Jan 29, 2007 3:22 am

Hi,

As a UKer that has been to Melbourne I hope you will not be bitterly disappointed by.. well.. lots of things, on arrival in the UK.

Anyway the one you are interested in is ondansetron (mostly we use generic names not trade names over here. ) Yes it is available. Yes as Natalie says it is kind of unofficaially consultant prescription only. Mainly because of the cost - I think it is about £25 per tablet.

Are you on anything else? You may find they want to try cheaper things in combination forst. These often work very well - better than people realise. Anyway I think the best thing for you to do if/ when you get here is to register with the local GP and ask to be referred for antenatal care, and make sure you are seen soon and by a dr. If you say you are on ondansetron they will probably send you to see the boss anyway. I was on it - after everything else had failed and several admissions. Unfortunately it is not easy to just get it at the beginning of pregnancy. And even my lovely consultant made me wait (and wait and wait) before trying it and next time (what???) won't give it before 12 weeks.

So it's good news and bad news for you. Does that help??

Sarah x
sarahkate
HG Diva

Postby cheeka » Jan 29, 2007 7:04 pm

Hi Sarah and Natalie,

Thanks for the info, it's given me a much better idea of what the score is.

I won't have any trouble getting treatment on the NHS as I still have British nationality. I am originally from Stockport near Manchester, so I know what I am letting myself in for in terms of moving back! We will probably be living in Kingston-Upon-Thames if we come over, I lived there a while ago when my husband and I both worked in London. I am a stay at home mum now but I liked the town and still have a friend that lives there so it seemed a good idea to go back to what we know.

I'll let you know as soon as I find out for definite whether we are coming over, I should hear by the end of this week or maybe early next.

Thanks again,

Cheeka
cheeka
Been There Done That

Postby sarahkate » Jan 30, 2007 4:02 am

What a whole pile of coincidences! I currently live about 3 miles from Stockport (in Didsbury) and grew up not far from Kingston. Used to love going shopping there! And how lovely will it be to take baby for walks through Bushey Park or by the river.

Had you been coming back up here I could have suggested an obstetrician but have no idea in the south I'm afraid.

Sarah x
sarahkate
HG Diva

Return to UK Mothers