Ashamed of the NHS.....

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

Ashamed of the NHS.....

Postby natts » Apr 18, 2007 3:32 am

Hi all,

i havent posted here for quite a few weeks!
Im 22 weeks and 1 day pregnant today, and also have my 20 week scan today (waiting lists!!lol)

I havent posted on here because i was in and out of hospital like a yo-yo! and was feeling very sad & depressed so didnt want to make any of you feel worse!

Anyway im not to bad now after loosing 38lbs in weight i have finally managed to gain one whole pound!
Even though i was yo-yoing in and out of hospital and on max meds and loosing so much weight the hospitals down here (Sussex-UK) do not refer you to a GP as apparently there is no point!!!!
luckily (well kind of!) i have diabetes so i see a diabetic nurse every two weeks who took it upon himself to help me and keep an eye on me. i also see a diabetic consultant every 2 weeks but he really isnt interested in the HG.

Im still sick most days and often run to the toilet whilst at work (now working 5 hour days!) all the time, but i feel ontop of the world! people at work thought they were dying when they had morning sickness nowhere near as bad as i am now, but i explain this is nothing and could quite happily carry on like it forever!

I really am ashamed of my local health trust, i went throught really low points, and often laid in the hospital bed at night crying myself to sleep, yet still no one cared.

Now im feeling alot better i hope to be back on the board alot more!
I hope everyone else is doing well? would be great if you could put an update down!

well im off for my scan now so wish me luck!! girl /boy????????

xxxxxxxxxxxx
natts
Welcomed Friend

Postby sarahkate » Apr 18, 2007 9:51 am

Hello there!

It's good to hear from you. I'm so so sorry you have been feeling so ill and also have felt so unsupported and poorly cared for. Have they changed your meds or are you just a bit better by chance? 38lb is a lot to lose - what were you to start with?

I hope all is well on the scan and it helps you feel more excited about the little one.

I hope also that you keep feeling good - but if not PLEASE feel able to talk about it and be supported here, we will always love to hear from you (I mean this now and before when I said it).

Sarah x
sarahkate
HG Diva

Postby tori » Apr 24, 2007 11:57 am

Hi,
I am also a diabetic. I sufferred from extreme HG last year and had to terminate my pregnancy at 16 weeks because I was SOOOOOO ill. I ahve just found out that I am pregnant again. I think about 5 weeks but at the rate my bump??? seems to be growing I am not sure. Am going for a scan tomorrow to check. I am also seeing an obstetric and my diabetic Dr. tomorrow.
I am feeling really good at the moment and am just hoping and praying to ALL of the gods that HG misses me out this time.

Speak soon,
Tori X
tori

Postby natts » Apr 30, 2007 1:57 pm

Sarah - was stange really, asked doctor to prescribe vitamin B6 to give it a go and he refused as thought it would be harmful... i was really at my teathers end so went and brought 'Pregnacare' which contains 500x RDA of B6, plus a dedicated B6 suppliment(both of which i need to swallow a few times before they stay down) . i dont think it was the total cure but it really helps with the nausea, the vomiting is the same but at least i can carry on!

Tori - congratulations on the news! i hope this pregnancy is better for you! but if its not try ur hardest to keep your sugar levels stable. i understand how hard it is, you go to a very low place, but try to take each day at a time, if you need to cry just cry! let me know if i can help at all.

x
natts
Welcomed Friend

Postby Xphile_mo » Apr 30, 2007 5:22 pm

Sweetie, know exactly what you mean about the NHS!! :( Felt like wearing that on a t-shirt while I was preg! And I'd love to be a nurse, so was really disappointed at most of their attitudes to me with HG! :shock: :roll:

So glad you're feeling a bit better, that's when it started getting bearable for me too - though I'm not diabetic so please be careful! I found the only way to get the GP or m/w's to listen was to start demanding (and I found this easier once I was past the 20 week stage and was starting to feel better - didn't have the energy before that!). Keep going back and demanding that you get what you need, or change docs. I eventually found a great GP who, while he wasn't nec clued up on HG was willing to get me whatever I needed and that made such a huge difference!

Sending you "stay well" vibes! :hugs: :hugs:
Moira x x x

Xphile_mo
HG Expert

Postby HelenA » May 02, 2007 3:41 pm

Oh honey I am so with you, I have had two bad experiences with the NHS, not only for the HG but for my pregnancy in general and births. I am really nervous about this pregnancy. My midwife last time was wonderful, so I'm hoping she's still there (as I only got released from her care 7 months ago), but I will be going to a different hospital for everything including scans this time, as I cannot bring myself to be with the same people who "cared" for me last time.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby Sarah Martin » May 03, 2007 8:38 am

hi nat, im from sussex to and was completely let down by the NHS during and after my pregancy.

My GP diagnosed HG but had no idea what do with me

"just eat what you can blah blah blah"!

My midwife was unsymaphetic and just made me feel worse.

The only good thing was that i had a wonderful labour in a lovely hospital with no problems, but my paperwork somehow got lost and my midwife in brighton had no idea i'd given birth. She turned up when emma was 4 days old all ready to induce me!

Now im fighting to be sterlised as another pregancy will be the end of me, but its all down to money with the NHS and they have none!
Sarah Martin

Postby natts » May 03, 2007 11:05 am

Sarah - what a small world! im going to the brighton (Sussex COunty) hospial as well. i think resources down here are REALLY streched! its sad really. where abouts in sussex are you? how old is your daughter now?

Helen - CONGRATULATIONS!!! i didnt know you were pregnant again! how do you feel? try to get your DH/DP to defend and shout for you, im sure he does but its something we need to prepare for.
natts
Welcomed Friend

Postby HelenA » May 16, 2007 5:58 am

Thanks, it's all still new, and yucky.

try to get your DH/DP to defend and shout for you, im sure he does but its something we need to prepare for.

He's so prepared he's even taken the day off for my midwife appointment tomorrow..lol It's my booking in.

Like I said my midwife is really nice (and it IS the same one as last time, but she doesn't know it's me yet bcause I changed my name after JJ was born..lol). I'm sure she'll get a shock. I think my nearest hospital, aside from the butcher shop I went to last time is in Huntingon, but she'll recommend something.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Return to UK Mothers