Any Aussies had home IV's

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in Australia and NZ to discuss HG and pregnancy.

Moderators: Trudy, Roni84, Moderators

Any Aussies had home IV's

Postby kmaw » Nov 13, 2006 2:58 am

Hi I was wondering whether any Aussies have been given home IV's. I am TTC and inquired at my local hospital but they said they dont do it because someone would have to come and visit me everytime I wanted to change the iv bag. Is this right????? Why cant I change my own iv bag. I want to give myself Zofran through my IV. It helps better than the tablets. I have tried the zofran wafers but they did nothing last pregnancy. Can anyone help????

Kell.
kmaw
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Nov 13, 2006 11:01 pm

If you don't get a reply, I've got one lady on the volunteer list who managed to get home IV - in Greelong, I believe? Remind me and I'll get you in touch with her.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby DebbieS » Nov 15, 2006 6:02 am

Kell,
I haven't heard of it being done, but then I never thought to ask my last two times. It's a question that interests me too!

Debbie
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Postby mrs_westyofoz » Nov 21, 2006 5:42 pm

I know in Queensland ( well around my place anyway ) they dont do home IV's unless you can pay for a private nurse to do daily site checks and change the bags. Apparently Blue nurses will do it but the Government wont cover the costs. They would prefer you to have IV as an outpatient or if its ongoing as an inpatient.

But then even with my losing around 27 kilo's this pregnancy they havent thought my HG severe enough to use Zofran soo I guess it does depend on your local hospital and services.

If you live in a major city I would be ringing around the hospitals and ob/gyns and asking questions now before you concieve..

Good Luck
Mary in North Queensland
ImageImage
mrs_westyofoz
Been There Done That

Return to Aussie/NZ Mothers