Zofran,Australia?

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in Australia and NZ to discuss HG and pregnancy.

Moderators: Trudy, Roni84, Moderators

Zofran,Australia?

Postby rozz » Oct 03, 2005 6:17 am

Any imformation about Zofron would be helpful to me,I wasnt given many options about by care during my last 3 pg,s,so any info would be very helpful.
Thanks so much.
rozz,mum to
zachary 1994
jacob 1996
xavier 2004
rozz

Postby Traci in Japan » Oct 05, 2005 7:16 am

Hi Rozz,
I wasn't in Australia for my hg, but I have read that it is available but expensive. I hpe someone who has tried it gets back to you. I will check in again, and if not, I can think of someone I can ask.
Traci in Japan
Australian, three boys (hg pregnancies and births in Japan)
Traci in Japan
Welcomed Friend

Postby Kadinga » Oct 05, 2005 7:28 am

Hi Rozz,

Emmasmummy is on Zofran in Queensland. I haven't been on it myself, but a friend who is a pharmacist mentioned that at our local hospital there have been a number of women who checked in for o/night stays just so that they could get a discount on the Zofran and have their private health cover conribute to it.

You may be in a position where you may need a very aware and considerate doc to presecribe it, though? Do you have much choice where you live?

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

thanks

Postby rozz » Oct 05, 2005 6:29 pm

Thanks for the replys girls.
The cost for me is not a problem and l do have a fairly caring dr.
But....he likes to top me up on iv, in hospital then send me home,well thats what he did last 3 pg,s. If I dont ask for something extra I dont get it! If I go back for #4 ,I need to be less polite and ASK for more help.
rozz,mum to
zachary 1994
jacob 1996
xavier 2004
rozz

Postby Kadinga » Oct 05, 2005 10:46 pm

Sometimes there's just not much room for politeness when it comes to dealing with HG, Roz. :) Before I started ttc I had a meeting with the doc who got me through last time and we put down on paper all the things that I wanted and at what point a simple IV was not going to be considered enough. We are talking about doctors working in the same system here, none of the "that might be fine in their country, or even interstate" rubbish. I'm allowed to self diagnose ketones (I bought keto-diastix over the counter at an Amcal) and take myself straight in for IV. On my second visit they have to check my potassium levels. If that second visit is within one week, or if I have a 3rd visit at any time, they have to check me into hospital and not let me go home until I've kept food down overnight and the next morning. I have a copy of this which is now in the pregnancy record folder that I keep with me. It's signed by my doctor. There's not going to be any arguing over it.

I strongly recommend that if you're considering #4 you get some of this straightened out before you start. I'm sure you remember how hard it is to fight for yourself when you're sick. The great news is you don't have to wait until then.

Wishing you the best of luck

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

I'm in Australia, and had Zofran

Postby di » Oct 06, 2005 2:12 am

Hi there I was on Zofran for most of my pregnancy :twisted: , I'm in NSW. Here, we can get sublingual :P (under the tounge, absorbs straight into the body) and oral - these weren't much help to me, because i puked them back up :x . I was paying $65 for 16 mg (4 tabs) :cry: and most dr's were unwilling to prescribe it, :cry: being a cancer drug and all, and not on the PBS. I was able to find a GP that would prescribe it to me, on a private prescription, and this was a bit more expensive. :x Please also be aware that a lot of chemists don't stock it. :roll: It is good when you can find some that stays down, :D :D and if you can afford it. If you are privately health insured, then they should rebate some of it, and some from medicare. :) All the best, and if there's anything else you'd like to know I'll do my best to find out for you.
Di 8)
Severe HG Jazmin Briella born 27/05/2005.
Severe HG weeks 2-15, Mild week 16 - week 29 Moderate - Mild to delivery. Nathan Finlay, born 5 March 2009.
di
Been There Done That

Return to Aussie/NZ Mothers