Canadians, BC- Lower Mainland

A place to discuss specific challenges and options in Canada.

Moderator: Moderators

Canadians, BC- Lower Mainland

Postby Lianna » Jun 14, 2007 5:49 pm

I've just been released from my second hospital admission and I am now on home health care. If there is anyone in the Abbotsford- Twassasen area there is an antepartum care unit that is a regional program that runs out of SMH. They are AWESOME and they come to your home and will give fluids as needed. I have an IV in now with a heplock and I'm sitting on my OWN bed :D Wanted to make sure that people were aware of the program as it is the only one in Canada to focus solely on NVP and HG.
Lianna
Been There Done That

Postby bibliojo » Jun 14, 2007 9:05 pm

That's fantastic! (Although sorry to hear that you were in the hospital again) So do you have continually IVs or they just bring fluids when you need them and you get them at home? Do you know how long this program has been in existence? I wish I had known about it when pregnant.
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Lianna » Jun 15, 2007 9:39 am

Joanna, apparently the program has been around for 2 -3 years. Some nurse did her Masters on this subject and saw the incredible need for it and this program was created. I don't think NEAR enough people know about it. I wish I knew about it even a month ago it would have kept me out of the hospital both times. They will do an assesment and then you become "their" patient. They have GREAT training and they teach you how to monitor yourself. They have a sypmtom record, they give you sticks to measure your ketone levels and specific gravity on a daily basis, work out your meds (again AWESOME) they have their own pharmasict who is really knowledgeable and they will give out the gamet including zofran! Based on your daily urine and symptoms they will determine whether fluids are needed. They may discharge you but if at any point you get sick again you call them directly and they will send a nurse out to re-asses. The nurse I met with at the hospital yesterday was just GREAT! She got it. Their primary goal is to keep people out of the hospital. Their philosophy is for us to do what we can eat/drink not to force anything on us and they will get us the rest of the way. I feel so relieved and wish more people knew that the program existed. Oh I forgot to mention that this program is connected to MotherRisk. Not sure why nobody at MotherRisk mentioned it to me? Maybe there weren't aware of my location etc.
Lianna
Been There Done That

Postby bibliojo » Jun 15, 2007 6:35 pm

That sounds amazing! Can you pm me the details so I can make other women from the lower mainland aware of this?

My OB is in Vancouver so I can understand the health regions not communicating but I can't understand Motherisk not mentioning it! I have talked to Caroline quite a bit in the past year and a half! Oh well. Would have been nice but I don't think I'll plan another pregnancy just to take advantage of this! :wink:
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby irisgirl » Jun 17, 2007 8:19 pm

Is this program available in Nova Scotia? Is there a website, and what is the full name of it please?
Leah
Wife to Jonathan and Mom to Caleb Joel and Charity Esther
irisgirl
Been There Done That

Postby Atsie » Jun 17, 2007 8:30 pm

http://www.gov.ns.ca/heal/ccs/

Most governements are trying to get home care everywhere. It is so much cheaper to have people at home for ivs and certain treatments then in a hosptial taking up space.

Lainna, if you have a great Dr please refer them on the referal network (in the For Mothers tab) We need to share the good ones!
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Jun 19, 2007 1:04 pm

I soooo wish they had this on Vancouver Island, too, just in case.
Mom to Alex, 12 -- NVP
Isaac, 10 -- NVP
Naomi, 8 -- HG
Edward, 4 -- avoided clinical HG through aggressive pre-emptive treatment and pure luck (aka medicated fluffy)
Cin
Forum Moderator

Postby Lianna » Jun 30, 2007 2:49 pm

Leah.......... I've been told that this is the only program in Canada but it just doesn't make sense not to offer home health. It saves so much money as well as who wouldn't rather been at home than in the hospital?

Erin..... thanks for the link and I hope more people can get home health care. I will post a recomendation for my doctor. She is kind of learning with me but she is extrememly compassionate, wonderful doctor and is more than willing to learn and make phone calls and look into things. She has been on the phone herself with MotherRisk, has called Pharamacare for me to get an exemption for Zofran heck she even was willing to give me Zofran. Most Canadian doctors won't even prescribe it.

Cin, that would be great if it was on the Island as well!
Lianna
Been There Done That

Postby irisgirl » Jul 08, 2007 12:37 pm

I'm assuming that you have to ask (and beg and plead) for home health care for HG. I spent almost 7 months fighting doctors to give me the medicine that I knew (and they knew, too) worked for me (zofran)! They say there aren't enough beds in the hospitals, but they won't even do what they know will help. I don't understand it. We are originally from the States, and the way of medicine is so different here. The MSI is great, but not when you can't get a good doctor or the medicine you need. It seems to me someone during my 4 hospital stays could have told me there were other options out there! Anyway, next time I know. Thanks so much for the info! I feel so much more prepared for next time from this website.
Leah
Wife to Jonathan and Mom to Caleb Joel and Charity Esther
irisgirl
Been There Done That

Postby carla » Jul 22, 2007 10:51 pm

Do you think they could come to Penticton :-)
Severe HG with DD (Gracee) 30/03/2006
Severe HG with DD (Amara) 01/04/2008
carla
HG Diva

Return to Canadian Mothers