Home Health Care in Canda

A place to discuss specific challenges and options in Canada.

Moderator: Moderators

Home Health Care in Canda

Postby Atsie » Aug 29, 2005 2:27 pm

Did anyone have any luck having home health care for IV hydration in Canada? And if yes, what did you do to get it?

Thanks!
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Aug 29, 2005 7:10 pm

Erin,

I have never heard of anyone getting home IVs in Canada before, but I would love to know too if anybody has been so lucky as to get set up with them. Anyone???

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

iv at home

Postby allym » Aug 30, 2005 12:16 pm

Hi Erin,

I live in Vancouver, Canada and I asked if I could have iv at home because I felt so much better when I had it in the hospital. I was told that it couldn't be done, so I would just keep the iv needle in my arm and go in for what they called daycare and I would have iv for 8 hours and then go home. I did that for 2 weeks. It was better than being admitted to the hospital.

Alexandra
allym
Been There Done That

Postby bibliojo » Aug 30, 2005 2:36 pm

Hi Alexandra,

Welcome! :D I live in Vancouver too! You got pretty much the same response that I did - you'll have to come in for IVs but they never offered to do daily IVs for me. What hospital was it that did that for you? I'm very interested to know! I also did so much better when I had the medications via IV. Felt somewhat human then! :)

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » Aug 30, 2005 9:42 pm

I do remember someone from another message board who had a picc line at home in Canada. I don't remember where she was (not Vancouver, I'm sure), and I don't really remember who it was, so I don't think that's much help anyway.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby carla » Sep 24, 2005 3:41 pm

They wouldn't give me home I.V. hydration at home. Even after I begged and pleaded for it. They did however allow me to have my I.V. meds at home???? I always had to go into the hospital to get my I.V. and they would usually end up keeping me there for like a week. My sister was able to have home I.V. but she lived in a different province.
Severe HG with DD (Gracee) 30/03/2006
Severe HG with DD (Amara) 01/04/2008
carla
HG Diva

Postby allym » Sep 24, 2005 3:58 pm

Hi Carla,

I see on your ticker we are almost at the same point. I'm due March 29/06. Are you still feeling awful? I started feeling better about 2 weeks ago an although i'm not back to normal, I think this is what they would call regular ms. I was prepared to be sick at least until my third Trimester because it was so bad and I didn't see how anything was going to get better quickly, but all of sudden I feel not too bad. It seems ever since I started to take Gravol 3 times a day with my Diclectin, things slowly started to improve. Everyday I could eat and drink more and more. Where are you from? I think I remember you being from Canada. Im from Vancouver, Canada. I hope your doing a bit better. You and all the other women on this site are in my prayers. We are some tough women to go through what we do.

Alexandra
allym
Been There Done That

Postby carla » Sep 29, 2005 3:19 pm

HI Alexandra,

sorry I missed your post. I live in Penticton. Fairly close to you! I am due on March 28th. SO CLOSE to you!! I am so glad that you are feeling better. I am still suffering with the nausea, but seem to have a handle on the vomitting. I am still having trouble eating! Are you able to keep food down now?
carla
HG Diva

Postby allym » Sep 30, 2005 9:40 am

Hi Carla,

We go to Penticton all the time in the summer. My husband and I always talk about moving out there eventually, too busy down here. How long have you lived there? Is this your first pregnancy? This is my 4th. I have 2 boys 6 and 9, and I had a m/c a few years ago. This will definately be my last. I have been kind of lucky that this is only my second time with hg. My first was really bad, with my second I just had regualar m/s and my third was regular also. I didn't expect it to happen this time, I thought the first was just a fluke....but no such luck. I am keeping everything down now, I have vomitted since week 10 I think. I have gained all of the 13 pounds I lost back. I don't feel great by any means, but I can tolerate this. I hope things get easier for you. Are you keeping anything down? Let me know how your doing.

Love Alexandra
allym
Been There Done That

Postby carla » Sep 30, 2005 2:21 pm

HI Alexandra,

I love Penticton. Originally I am from AB so it is like Heaven here for me. My dh was born and raised here. I have been here fulltime since I finished university. I used to come here for the summers and work and then go back to AB to school for the winter. I guess it has been about 5 years that I have lived here fulltime. I really enjoy it here, and my dh and I are very lucky to have good jobs here to support us. This is my second pregnancy, although it will be our first baby. I lost the first one during a hell battle with HG. This time it has been a bit more tolerable, but still a battle.

I am able to keep food down now, but sometimes I have to not move, for fear of vomitting. There are still many things that I can't tolerate. I still have a huge difficulty with hypersalivation, and terrible smells. I think that I am getting better. Still sleeping a lot though. How is the Vancouver weather holding up for you?
carla
HG Diva

Return to Canadian Mothers