Canadian Women Sick Leave Benefit

A place to discuss specific challenges and options in Canada.

Moderator: Moderators

Canadian Women Sick Leave Benefit

Postby Atsie » May 13, 2006 8:23 pm

I just learned that MAt leave has sick leave benefits on TOP of mat leave year. If you can not work all you need is a dr's note stating you can not work and you begin the sick leave benefits. That is used until you give birth or have gone over the 15 weeks then it becomes mat leave. There is the two week waiting period with this at the start that you are not covered for. So all in all you can have 65 weeks off . I just found out about it and wanted to share. For things like bedrest an Pre E it is great because then you are not losing that time with your baby.

Ladies in the States reading this please don't hate us!!!

FYI
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » May 13, 2006 10:50 pm

You didn't know? :shock: I thought you knew about that! I used this when pregnant with Lukas as I was temporarily unemployed for a few weeks. This time I was lucky enough to be covered by my work's short term disability. :) Are you covered through work or are you going to be using the government's sick leave?

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Atsie » May 14, 2006 4:01 pm

Nope, I had no idea. I hope to not have to use them at all. I am not covered so if I did it would screw up my Mat leave.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Gail » May 14, 2006 4:19 pm

I don't hate you guys, I think I just might move there if I ever get pg :lol: Is there some rule that you have to have lived there for so long first :wink:
Mom to two girls
Sydney (6-7-95)
Lauren (10-13-99)
Lost Angel (2-9-04)

Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections than people who are most content---Bob Dylan
Gail
Opinionated HGer

Postby bibliojo » May 14, 2006 4:46 pm

Gail, you just need to work 600 hours in the year prior to starting your sick leave/maternity leave and that's pretty easy to do.

Erin, I took sick leave from the govt and then went back to work when I was well enough. When it came time to go on mat leave, they just re-opened my sick leave, changed it to mat leave and continued from that.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby carla » Aug 22, 2006 8:36 pm

I did the same thing when I had gracee. I was off work for 6 months with her, although I was covered by std through the teacher union. It was sooooo helpful!
carla
HG Diva

Return to Canadian Mothers