does it ever end?

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

does it ever end?

Postby satxstarr » Jun 15, 2004 10:37 am

Hi! My name is Jessica, I am 13 weeks PG, this is my second pregnancy. I was bad with my first one, and this time around my MS was even worse. I have lost 15lbs by the time I was 6 weeks and on phenergan. After going to the ER and getting rehydrated my meds were changed to Zofran, which has been a big help. I had tried to stop taking it yesterday, after feeling just slight naseau the day before which was a major difference from how I was feeling. By the time evening rolled around, I was back to square one and not keeping anything down. How do you know when you can stop taking the medicine? Is there ever a time that this lifts up and you feel better?

Thank you!!
~Starr
satxstarr

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 15, 2004 11:28 am

Hi, Starr. About weaning off the Zofran: if you have to ask, you're not ready. :( Obviously, your body is telling you it can't do this alone yet. For me, I knew I was ready to wean when I naturally started missing doses--waking up at 5 a.m. feeling ok and realizing I'd slept through and missed the 1 a.m. dose; looking at the clock during the day and realizing it was an hour beyond my scheduled meds. During the worst of it, I sat and watched the clock and counted the seconds until I could take the next meds, so I knew that when my body moved away from this, I was ready to wean. It doesn't sound like you're there yet. Take it easy, and give your body time. Some women wean off Zofran during the second trimester, some wean down to a small dosage that they continue to delivery, and others are on full-dosage to the end. The fact that you're starting to have good days is a hopeful sign that your HG is letting up.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby satxstarr » Jun 15, 2004 12:06 pm

Thank you so much! Did you get worse with each pregnancy you had or did it vary from pregnancy to pregnancy?
~Starr
satxstarr

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 15, 2004 6:09 pm

HG tends to follow a similar pattern in each pregnancy; I definitely had it with each pregnancy, and each time it hit harder, was more difficult to treat, and lasted longer. But I dealt with it so much better, too. You get more proactive in your approach each time, and that makes coping easier. With mine, the worst of it was over after 14 weeks, and it sounds like you may be on that track since you're already having better days. Take it very slowly, though. We have a tendency to have one good day and think we're cured and can resume our regularly scheduled lives, but our bodies need time and TLC to recover from the whammy of HG and STILL grow those precious babies. It will happen, but you need to be patient. When did HG subside for you last time?
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby rharrison81 » Jun 16, 2004 9:56 pm

Hi Starr! I'm 9 weeks and battling this monster as well. It has not been a fun trip at all. This is my 3rd pregnancy but 1st hg pregnancy. In the last 4 weeks I've been in for fluids 5 times and am hoping to avoid more trips I'm begining to look like a junkie with all the holes and bruises on my arms. I'm sorry I can't give you any advice but there are some great women here who can.

BTW I just moved from SATX in March :D I miss it, we don't have a/c here :(
Rachael Harrison
2 normal pgs, 1HG pg
Destiny '98, Hannah '01
EDD 1/19/05
rharrison81

Postby nancyon3rd » Jun 17, 2004 11:24 am

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post in some other topic. It's really great to have some support from those who know what HG does. I have decided to start on the unisom/B6 combo today, as the vomitting has been increasing again. Does anyone know how long it will take for this to kick in? And any recommendations for how to take it?(with water, no food, ok?)
I'm almost at 11 weeks and down 11 lbs.
Has anyone read the article in Mothering Magazine about HG? It's on the stands now and I bought it yesterday. It advocates using medicinal marijuana to treat HG. Has anyone tried this? I have never used marijuana, so I am a bit tentative, and feel like I need to do research before considering it, but I will try almost anything at this point.
Thanks,
Nancy
nancybeth29@yahoo.com
nancyon3rd

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 17, 2004 3:37 pm

Hi, Nancy - sorry to hear HG is kicking in. B6 needs a couple weeks to build up in the system, but Unisom's effect should be almost immediate. I took my B6 with liquid when I could, but the Unisom I'd break in 1/2 and just swallow it. If you don't notice any effect with the Unisom, it's probably not going to be enough at this point. You can try meclizine (up to 75 mg./day) or get a Rx for one of the standards like phenergan, etc.

Most of the women who've tried medicinal marijuana have been made too nauseated by the smell to ever see if it would help. If you go to the alternative treatments forum, I think there was a discussion about it a couple weeks back.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 18, 2004 11:06 am

Hi Jessica, you are so close to being through the worst. I weaned slowly. I waited until I felt good - like really pretty good until I weaned one 4 mg Zofran per day away - and then I'd wait another month. HG subsides over time, and I never did get off my Zofran entirely, although others do.

Why the desire to wean?

What else are you doing to be proactive? How much liquid and food are you able to tolerate? How are things going?

Hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 18, 2004 11:09 am

Nancy, there was a discussion within the last month at HuGS just before these forums merged all about Medicinal Marijuana. I'll post the link in alternative meds so that you can read about it. Gimme a few days, though to get it done. Medicianl Marijuana isn't legal just anywhere, and where it was, and tried under a Drs. supervision, not exactly a miracle.

I'll look for your other post to see what else you've tried and how effective it is.

Hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to First Trimester HG