HG *can* threaten your life

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

HG *can* threaten your life

Postby vois2 » Jun 15, 2004 11:52 pm

15 June - Very sadly I tonight await the impending death of a close friend who was diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum about 40 days ago. Tragically, she suffered from this in silence for almost 15 weeks before going to see a doctor, which occured only at my insistence after her mention on the phone of being 'unable to keep any (food) down'. I wanted to post here to make clear the threats of this condition to a woman's health. My friend's kidney function was severely affected by the condition of prolonged HG, to the point of complete renal cortical necrosis (death of kidney cells). This was followed by hepatic necrosis (death of liver cells) and other generalized problems caused by now-unfiltered toxins in the blood system. If you are vomiting a lot in early pregnancy, or if you feel that a strong sense of shame or shock are making it difficult to remain healthy during early term pregnancy, you need to see a doctor immediately. Do not delay! It can mean your life. I welcome comments and concerns. Thank you! parkway7035 @ y hoo. c o m
vois2

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 16, 2004 1:04 am

I am so sorry for your pain.

What kind of help is your friend getting? Have they done nothing to slow the onset of HG? Steroids, Zofran, NG tube or TPN? Is there nothing they can do to help her kidneys or liver?

Honestly, the hardest battle of HG is getting the word out to women who do not already know what this is, and who will be facing HG in a pg they haven't even yet conceived. All of the women here know all about this condition, and a very high percentage had never heard of this before conceiving the first time and landing in the hospital or Drs. offices very very ill.

I don't wish to sound light about this, but I so wish that such an extreme example of HG as this would hit the media - Oprah, etc. No one important really seems to care, and yet women can die of this even now, and the biggest thing to blame is ignorance.

Please let us know if they are doing everything they can for her.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby vois2 » Jun 23, 2004 11:44 pm

I apologize for the delay in responding. My friend died on Sunday night, 6/20/2004, after being at home for 11 days so that she could be with her family for the period up until life's end. This is an unbelieveable tragedy for all involved and in particular for her two surviving children, aged 15 and 12. There are so many "if only's" in this story that it is maddening to think of them. If only she had told someone sooner that she was vomiting and not eating and drinking much at all ... If only she had visited a doctor well before the 15th week of gestation ... If only after loss of the pregnancy and hospitalization for the same she had remained in hospital (doctors had wanted to keep her, but she wanted to go home, and they allowed her to do so with 3x weekly outpatient hemodialysis treatments). Hyperemesis gravidarum is a killer and I believe most people have absolutely no idea of the severity of its impact on the health of the mother. I also feel that confusion between first trimester vomiting and more severe forms of emesis lead to many unnecessary weeks of suffering by a majority of HG-diagnosed patients.
vois2

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 27, 2004 11:34 am

You have my very deepest condolences. Please let us know if we can do anything to help, although I cannot imagine what.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby somaliasims » Jun 30, 2004 5:21 pm

:cry:

I am so touched by your story. I lost my best friend in January of this year. She was 24 years old and 7 months pregnant at the time of her death. Her death was sudden, tragic, and unexplainable. She was on the phone with her aunt and fell to the ground - 45 minutes later.... 15 minutes after they delivered the baby... she was dead. The baby was our concern the first 2 days as the schock of her death was beginning to wear off and reality of it was beginning to set in. We were told by the doctors that the baby was 100% brain dead and would be a vegetable for the rest of his life. My best friend's husband made the most horrible decision in his life and took the baby off life support. Throughout her pregnancy, I knew something was wrong. She would not stop throwing up and her stories would change from one day to the next due to embarrassment. One minute she would say she was fine and the next - she would say she wasn't holding down any food. She was throwing up from the very beginning of her pregnancy right up to the day she died. I urged her to see another doctor because of all the things that she was going through. There were so many mistakes made by her doctor and the hospital. I can go on and on about the decisions that were made and how she deserved to be here right now. I would give anything to get her back.

I just wanted to say that I completely understand what you are going through right now. It's been 6 months now that my best friend of 10 years passed away. I am still trying to cope. Mother's Day was tough. Her birthday was tougher. When her wedding anniversary comes - I don't know what I am going to do. When it's my wedding day - which is coming up soon- I don't know how I will get through without feeling sadness of her not being there (my maid of honor).

My deepest sympathies to you and her family. I just wanted to let you know - that I am here, if you need to talk.

Serpil
somaliasims

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 02, 2004 12:35 am

Serpil,

My deepest condolences to you as well. Please let us know if we can do anything to help.

Andy
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby mom2matt » Jul 10, 2004 2:03 pm

Im so touched and sorry for your pain.
It just makes me want to SCREAM out to the medical world, HOW DARE YOU DONT FIND A CURE!
I realize HG is 1 of a million problems in the world, but we HG sufferers are bring life into the world!
Awareness to the public, and BETTER education for the *drs we all desperatly clinging to for help and support is in order..I agreee to calling O'prah, imagine how many lives it would save.

Im so angry about HG, and emotional for your losses.

Shlby
mom2matt

Return to First Trimester HG