Sick and Tired

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Sick and Tired

Postby koolaidNcookiesmom » Jun 23, 2004 2:49 pm

I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired! My medication is helping. My family thinks I'm crazy (and a wimp) and I can't get ahold of my dr for more medication (my last Zofran pill is tomorrow night at 9pm, I will cry if they don't give me more meds)! I'm only 8 weeks along and I am already wishing we had waiting to get pg a little longer. I have a 16 month old daughter and I can't do anything with her. Now I can't stop crying. Got to go. I think I'm going to be sick again.
Kat :oops:
Kat
koolaidNcookiesmom

sorry you are feeling so bad

Postby kitty_doc » Jun 23, 2004 6:03 pm

I have a 25mo old, so I do understand how you feel. When did you start feeling so bad? I am 5w6d today and am still only feeling a little nausea, but I am waiting for the badness to come because all three of my other pg have been HG pg's. I thought I would be feeling worse by now, but I am grateful to feel ok for the time being. Of course I am worrying because I associate feeling horrible with normal pg. I hope you are able to get more meds and can feel better soon so you can enjoy your dd. Best wishes!

Julie
Julie aka Kitty Doc
Rebecca 5/17/88 mod HG 22wks
Jessica 5/24/91 mod HG 18wks
Kathryn 5/2/02 severe HG 34wks
Olivia EDD 2/14/05 mod HG from 7wks to now
kitty_doc
Welcomed Friend

Re: Sick and Tired

Postby koolaidNcookiesmom » Jun 23, 2004 10:26 pm

Hi. I started feeling bad literally the day of conception. We were trying, so I know when I o'd and I swear I started feeling horrible within a week. It just got worse at about 6 weeks and has continued to do so the farther along I am. I'm sorry. I'm not a negative person, but today was hard for me. My mom, sisters, and brother had mexican food (which I love) and I couldn't have any of it. :( I guess my emotions are getting the best of me lately.
Got to go.
Kat
koolaidNcookiesmom

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 28, 2004 2:23 pm

Kat, how are you doing?

I hope better than last week, but if not, it really sounds like you're getting dehydrated and need an IV. Often when gals are getting dehydrated, it makes them feel like everything is hopeless, and they just can't get through it.

Your child will be ok. They will not remember Mommy being so sick, and it IS for a short time in their lives! Before too much longer, you will be able to do more with her. I had to put my 1st in daycare, or with family for 6 weeks because I couldn't care for him at all, and he remembers nothing of it.

Please keep us up to date. Were you able to get more Zofran?!?

Hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby koolaidNcookiesmom » Jun 28, 2004 3:56 pm

Hi. I'm feeling about the same as last week. Dh wanted to take me out on a date last night, but I was way to sick, but today I think I am better.
I did end up getting more Zofran, but they are only giving me 12 day presciptions, so I have to call the dr every so often to get more.
I do feel a little dehydrated, I have those ketone stix things and it said I am slightly dehydrated. I think I am calling my dr in the morning.
Well, my dd is crying.
Kat
Kat
koolaidNcookiesmom

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 28, 2004 5:30 pm

Haha, a date? lol. Oh, that's a good one. I was a newlywed when I was pg w/ my first, and I soon learned that dating, or anything fun following a date was out of the question - sick and miserable for days afterwards.

I'm sorry you are still feeling so rotten, but it is to be expected. I'm glad to see you're not much worse off.

I know it's much harder to do that for me to type, but I've known HGers to literally stay hydrated by sipping a spoonful of water at a time every few minutes or so. Eventually you'll get a lot down, and it might work better in smaller bits.

If you can, try small frequent snacks. Hunger is your enemy, so don't wait until you are hungry to prepare something - go by a clock instead. 1/2 an hour between liquids and solids, and keep them separate. Never hungry, never full - many are more likely to vomit what they eat when they are hungry. Try different temperatures of liquids - sometimes hot is better, many times cold things - slushy things - stay down better. If smells are bothering you a great deal, try saran wrap over the top of your beverage w/ a straw poked through a hole in the top. Maybe your dh could help prepare snacks for you and your daughter for the next day. I wish looking back we'd set up a cooler w/ snacks for me, because getting up to the fridge was a joke, and a mistake when it smelled so bad, but I had no choice, really.

Please keep us updated. I'm glad you still have access to Zofran, even if it's a pain. Why won't they just refill you?

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby RebeccaM » Jun 29, 2004 11:57 am

It's so hard for husband when they want to be sweet and do something nice for you while your pregnant and miserable, but it doesn't always work out. Especially when you're puking your guts out. :?

One Saturday morning when I was pregnant my husband wanted to take me up to this diner up the canyon that we both love for breakfast. It was so sweet of him because he did it as kind of a surprise, but I was feeling sooooo sick. I had to bring a cup along for something to puke in on the car ride. I was good until we got to the parking lot, and I had to throw up in this little cup. Everyone walking by was staring and I felt so bad. We still went in for breakfast because I started to feel a little better, but needless to say, it ruined the moment.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby koolaidNcookiesmom » Jun 29, 2004 7:01 pm

I saw my dr today. They have upped my dose of Zofran up to 8mg from 4mg. I have lost more than 10lbs in 11 days. I finally have an open refill (I can get as many refills as needed for a year). I had an u/s today. My baby is doing good. The reason for my bleeding is fibroids.
Well, I think I am going to be sick now. Sorry.
Kat
Kat
koolaidNcookiesmom

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 04, 2004 11:35 am

Glad to know your Zofran is up higher now, and that you have an open-ended refill. The worry of always running out is awful!

You do not have to apologize for getting sick - it is a fact of pregnancy in the first trimester here, and after reading posts for 3 years there's almost nothing that grosses me out anymore. :D

I hope that you are feeling better now that your Zofran is higher. Update when you can and let me know how you are doing.

Huge hugs,

Andy
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby koolaidNcookiesmom » Jul 05, 2004 3:32 pm

Well I just need to whine somewhere. I am having a horrible day.
So I am 10wks. I've lost 15lbs in 10 days, not good when pg! I can't keep anything down without my medicine (Even with my meds, I can't keep anything down, last night was really bad).
So I went to get my meds last Wednesday. Well, the insurance needed to authorize it, which means a dr needs to call them and explain why I need this med and why so much (I am taking 1 pill every 6hrs everyday). So I call my dr and the nurse calls me back about 2hrs later saying everything has been taken care of and the insurance should go through by Thursday, latest Friday.
So, Today is now Monday and I guess for some reason a holiday since yesterday was the 4th of July and it was a weekend, so I guess they extended it over to today.
My drs office is closed. My insurance office is open (spent 2hrs on the phone with them), but they have another # for medications and guess what, they had today off.
My last pill is today at 3pm. I payed Cash ($600) for a 5 day supply on Wednesday. Dh and I just can't afford to spend another $600 so soon (Friday we can, but I can't wait til then to get my meds).
I guess I just needed to vent. I am just upset and really trying not to have a panic attack about all this. Thanks for listening.
Kat
Kat
koolaidNcookiesmom

Postby kitty_doc » Jul 07, 2004 1:14 pm

Kat,
I really feel for you. There is nothing like the panic of thinking you will run out of your Zofran. I hope you are able to get it taken care of so you can stay on it. You know it is harder to feel better when you let the HG get ahead of you. Maybe if you can't get your RX, you can go to the ER and tell them that you can't keep anything down, see if they will give you an IV dose and some fluids. That may help you feel better and get you through until you get your Rx. I pray you will feel better soon.

Julie 7w6d
Julie aka Kitty Doc
Rebecca 5/17/88 mod HG 22wks
Jessica 5/24/91 mod HG 18wks
Kathryn 5/2/02 severe HG 34wks
Olivia EDD 2/14/05 mod HG from 7wks to now
kitty_doc
Welcomed Friend

Postby koolaidNcookiesmom » Jul 07, 2004 4:23 pm

Well, my nurse is a mean person. She told me and I quote, "I called them last week, I'll call them again this week, but this is the last time"! What does that mean? I'll go without meds? GGRRR!
Kat
koolaidNcookiesmom

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 09, 2004 3:15 pm

Kat, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. Maybe you could report this nurse to your Dr.! Like it's your fault your insurance isn't doing it's part! How are you getting along? You know, you could always check yourself into the hospital and refuse to go home until they have this straightened out! That might make them sit up and take notice!

Hugs, Andy
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby koolaidNcookiesmom » Jul 10, 2004 10:32 am

Well, I don't remember now if I already posted this, but I have been bleeding since the Friday before Fathers Day and it went from red to brown in a few days and it's been that way until this Thursday and now it's back to red and lots of it and very very clotty. My nausea is easing up and I am freaking out. With my 1st pg my nausea didn't ease up until the moment I delivered (I remember the dr was wearing something that smelled like flowers and I threw up a moments before I delivered). So, I am freaking out and my dr won't see me until Tuesday (my already scheduled appt). Okay, I need to go rest. My head hurts. :-)
Kat
koolaidNcookiesmom

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 10, 2004 10:54 am

Oh, Kat, I really hope that everything is ok, but I know how you are worrying. I miscarried a year ago June. Please try to rest.

Sending you huge hugs,

Andy
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

feeling like crap

Postby cv2004 » Jul 11, 2004 6:10 pm

Oh I feel your pain. I am 6 weeks and 1 day and i am nauseous. I took my first unisom today and it think it did some good coz I could go outside and sit for awhile but oh it made me sleepy and cranky. I should take more unisom but I feel so guilty taking it. I just feel it is bad for the baby. I know that doesn't make sense but I also know that I'm not that bad yet. I did cry yesterday morning knowing that full HG is on its way but that still wasn't enough to get me to take the unisom. I am faithfully taking b6 though.

I'm thinking to call my doctor tomorrow (monday) to get a zofran prescription. I have some from last pg -- do you think it is still good if it is from 2002? I'm going to ask for the 4mg but perhaps later ask for the 8mg that melts in your mouth. Again I have this bad feeling that it can't be good for teh baby. And yes I remember how expensive Zofran was. Geez louise!! I also think I have to recheck my insurance to make sure they don't give me crap about the expense. Or make me try something else.

I am glad that I read teh recommendation of taking zofran and b6/unisom together. Because for me Zofran does great with the vomiting - - so well that I gain 15+ pounds in my first trimester. But it is the nausea that kills me. Perhaps the unisom will help with that. I believe in my last pgs I figured Zofran was a replacement of the non-working b6/unisom combo. When I get real bad I will take all three.

clarissa
2 hg pgs
#3 due on 3/5/5
cv2004

Postby HdGAMom2B » Jul 12, 2004 5:52 am

Kat, I've been following your story, and pray that you and your baby are ok. Please feel free to complain all you want. I can totalyl understand your worries. Hope to hear that everything's ok, and that you can get some support where you are, and some meds! Good grief! I still get upset when I hear docs and nurses giving HG'ers trouble. If you don't understand it, why don't you just treat it as aggressive as you can?! Gerr!

Blessings and Prayers are coming your way!

Christy
*We're pregnant!! 30 wks -due March 24th, 2005
*Failed adoption after 6 wonderful days (baby Claire Delaney, b. 5/6/04)
*'Therapeutic Termination' at 11 wks. due to mistreated HG in first pg, term. 6/15/99
HdGAMom2B
Welcomed Friend

Postby koolaidNcookiesmom » Jul 12, 2004 10:15 am

Thank you! I went to the er Sunday and they found my little ones heartbeat (160).No one can tell me why I am bleeding so much. I am a little relieved since I am now 12wks (well, I will be in a couple days). :-) I did get my meds. And guess what! My nausea is almost completely gone! I only get sick (gagging, can't do anything) at dinner time. With my 1st pg it lasted until the day I delivered, I'm hoping this is it for this pg!
I don't understand either why some drs are so weird about treating Hg. My 1st 2 drs with my last pg didn't even acknowlede I had anything (I was so underweight to begin with and I lost so much more weight, I am still upset to this day).
Good luck ttc!
Kat

HdGAMom2B wrote:Kat, I've been following your story, and pray that you and your baby are ok. Please feel free to complain all you want. I can totalyl understand your worries. Hope to hear that everything's ok, and that you can get some support where you are, and some meds! Good grief! I still get upset when I hear docs and nurses giving HG'ers trouble. If you don't understand it, why don't you just treat it as aggressive as you can?! Gerr!

Blessings and Prayers are coming your way!

Christy
Kat
koolaidNcookiesmom

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 18, 2004 1:59 pm

Clarissa,

Just wanted to check in on you and see how you were doing. Sometimes having the 8 mgs prescribed to cut in 1/2 w/ a pill cutter is better than the 4 mgs, because they are the same price. Sometimes you can then pay a lower copay for the meds because they will last twice as long.

Hope you are doing ok. Many times taking 1/2 or a 1/4 Unisom more frequently will help w/ the drowsy effect during the day, yet still help w/ the nausea.

Hugs, Andy
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Kat How Are You?

Postby kmwilson » Jul 19, 2004 9:41 am

Kat,

I was reading your postings and wanted to see how you were doing. I've had 2 HG pregnancies, and believe it or not contemplating a third.

But I wanted you to know that I too had to pay for my medicine up front once - something like $350 for several days worth etc. until the insurance company was informed on my condition.

However, after the problem was settled I believe I sent in a reimbursement request to the insurance company. Have your husband check on this - as talking to insurance while pregnant can be highly frustrating as you know. You don't need that kind of telephone conversation.

If this doesn't work, at least it can count towards your deductible if you have one.

You are sooo far now, hang in there. Don't let anybody make you feel wimpy - nobody could do what you're doing any better.

You're in our prayers and just vent, vent, vent, because this group certaintly knows you need that support to make it.

Take Care and Lots of Luck
Kimberly
Kimberly
Frisco, TX
2 HG Pregnancies
Daughter 2000
Son 2002

HG began at 6-8 wks; Zofran from 12 wks until around 25-26 wks. Despite HG, I loved the miracle of birth.
kmwilson

Next

Return to First Trimester HG