Remind me when the worst of this is (m)

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Remind me when the worst of this is (m)

Postby kitty_doc » Jul 09, 2004 4:06 pm

I have posted before that I was feeling pretty well, but the last few days have been much worse and I am recognizing the old HG feelings. I am still coping pretty well and functioning, but fearful that it will get worse soon. I am 8w1d today and my current medications are Zantac 75mg twice a day, B6 50 mg 2-3 times a day. Unisom 25mg at bedtime and Zofran 8mg once a day. I am able to eat and drink and I am not vomiting (yet), but I have constant nausea and fatigue. I am trying to remember if this is the peak of it, or if it will get worse before it gets better. I do remember being around 8-9 weeks with my first HG pg before HG was recognized much and certainly not treated effectively (in 1987) and having the nurses tell me to just hang on for another few weeks, that I would feel better around 12 weeks! I told them that I would DIE if I had to feel that way for 4 more weeks! Little did I know that I would suffer with HG until 22 weeks with that pg. For my suffering, I got an IV injection of B6 and some Phenergan--which helped, but did not relieve the HG. Anyway, I have digressed....tell me what to expect for the next couple of weeks--I would rather recognize the truth than wonder......Thanks for any thoughts...

BTW, I picked up 30 tabs of Zofran ODT yesterday and it was $902--is that the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard of!!! I told the pharmacist that if this was Viargra that was $30 a tablet, there would be outrage in the media and it would be all over the news, but since this just SAVES LIVES, you wouldn't want to make it affordable now would you??? I have weird insurance that has a $500 deductible for prescriptions and I have to pay and wait to be reimbursed each time I get a Rx. I will only be reinbursed $320 for this script. Next time, it will be a $720 reimbursement until I have met $1000 of out of pocket Rx expense--THEN, they will pay %100. So, for now, I am trying to only take one tablet a day to maximize the time between scripts--I need to be reimbursed for this one to be able to buy the next one! What a joke.... :cry:
Julie aka Kitty Doc
Rebecca 5/17/88 mod HG 22wks
Jessica 5/24/91 mod HG 18wks
Kathryn 5/2/02 severe HG 34wks
Olivia EDD 2/14/05 mod HG from 7wks to now
kitty_doc
Welcomed Friend

Postby emily » Jul 09, 2004 5:44 pm

Wow, I always wondered just how much Zofran is. That means I probably went through about $20,000 in Zofran. I hope my insurance got a discount.
emily
Devoted to You

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 11, 2004 9:32 am

The truth is that the peak is usually at 12-13 wks for HGers. If your HG is severe, the peak can easily be 14 wks, but the best news for you is that women who are REALLY proactive and really stay on top of things (and it sounds like you are) experience peaks of HG more like 10-11 wks. I've seen that several times, and it was quite surprising at first.

So, if you can keep a handle on the HG (and not vomiting by 8 weeks is really doing a fantastic job of it), you should be able to be through the very worst in a few weeks. That is, if nothing else triggors the shift of balance w/ the HG. So, don't stop taking any of your meds cold turkey, or wean until you are feeling pretty good (or normal) on the other side of the peak. Hope and pray you do not get a viral or bacterial infection of any kind, and seek immediate attention for a bacterial infection if you suspect one. Try to get as much rest as possible, and keep up your routine of liquid and solid intake as much as possible.

You still have a bit of room to play with the current meds you are on. You are only taking a 3rd of the Unisom you can take during a 24 hr. period according to Motherisk. You must also know that you're taking way less Zofran compared to most HGers, so your Dr. may allow increasing that doseage as well. If things get really edgy, and you just need a little more of a boost, try asking your Dr. about B6 injections. I felt a difference between those and oral B6 w/ both of my pgs. Also, being proactive about obtaining IVs when you are dehydrated helps as well.

It is hard to say if you'll have HG until 22 wks. Sometimes HG is worse and lasts longer because it is allowed to remain out of control, and other times HG is just bad because it is severe, and all of the proactive measures in the world cannot keep it from being severe, but instead protect the mother and baby's lives. If your HG is much better than last time, (and that's a strong possibility when you're on 1 Zofran per day right now) you have the chance to escape from the worst earlier, but many HGers experience a more drawn out recovery, and much less energy throughout their pgs. Whos to say if that changes because we age between pgs, or because HG takes a greater toll each time, or if it's because we're already Mothers who need to be busier, or have the great weight of grief to carry with us.

So, that's what I've seen while watching HG pgs for the last 3 years, and seeing women progress through entire proactively planned HG pgs.

Hugs, and you're really doing a great job managing this pg!

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to First Trimester HG