line is in, 32mg zofran...still so sick

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

line is in, 32mg zofran...still so sick

Postby halgal427 » Aug 03, 2004 11:56 am

:oops:
hey all,
i had a line put in 2 weeks ago and getting regular hydration, iv zofran (32mg), and i still feel miserable. i was taking percuset for an unrelated problem that helped w/ nausea but once the problem resolved the percuset didn't work for nausea anymore. i had lost about 12 lbs and i'm small to begin with(102lbs...now90lbs) so my dr went ahead and had the central line put in so i could get some calories in the fluid. i have now gained 2 lbs and i am better but the nausea is horrible. i have tried b6/unisom and i get all messed up because i vomit up a dose and get frustrated and give up on it. i need to start it regularly now that things are under control. i was taking it when i was 1st pg and it helped keep hg at bay. i always do this to myself. it is hard to take any pills so i tend to not do it. i am also SO constipated from the zofran. i can't even remamber or get myself to take colace. i hate taking pills....makes me gag.

i have to say that i am SO lucky this time and i'm so thankful that i have full time care for my girls. we have hired my sil full time and she actually sleeps here at night and gets up with the girls and takes care of them till dh gets home. she has them feed and bathed so dh just has to get them to bed. it has made all the difference. the stress is so much less on the whole family. we have given up 2 major home improvement projects to pay for it but i think it is so worth it. i would have taken a home equity laon if i had to!

i still miss my girls. i have missed so much already. i missed seeing The Lion King on stage in Boston last sunday with my oldest 2 girls. my mom went with dh and girls. i was really upset but i was just too sick. i bought the tickets 9 months ago and gave it to the girls for christmas. we were looking forward to it for so long. my youngest dd is having a really hard time. she misses me a lot. hg is so hard. :cry:

just a quick update. i have had 4 u/s and the baby looks good. i still have a blood clot and are hoping it will reabsorb. baby had srtong hb and growing normally.

best wishes all!
kim
edd 3-9-05
haley 4-27-96
devyn 11-20-99
isabelle 12-30-02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

sounds familiar

Postby stephanie greene » Aug 03, 2004 3:13 pm

I was alot like you during my first pg. I had a PICC IV zofran, colace, unisom/b6 ...gagged on every pill but they were helping. When i tried to wean off i was throwing up again within an hour( for the whole 9 months) I think it takes a few doses in your system before they can work. I know it is sooooooo tough. Your attitude sounds positive so hopefully you are not going to become depressed. I haven't tried( but will next time) meclizine but I have read many women who like it. It is over the counter called Anti-vert. and you take it with the zofran.... worth a try.

good luck to you!
Stephanie
stephanie greene
Welcomed Friend

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 04, 2004 1:29 pm

Oh, Kim!

I'm so sorry to hear you so miserable. How far along are you now?

I would recommend finding out all of your IV options. I know an HGer who was allowed to inject Zofran and benedryl into her IV (vs. the oral Meclizine or Unisom). B6 is available in sublingual form, as is Zofran ~ so you wouldn't have to swallow it, and I also had B6 injections (called Pyridoxine) during the worst of both of my pgs. Swallowing pills IS NOT your only drug options! I don't know if B6 is available to go into an IV line or not, but if you've got the IV line in place, you might as well take advantage of it, and not have to go through the torture of swallowing all of those pills!

Huge hugs, and please keep me updated as you can.

Andy
1st tri HG moderator
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

thank you

Postby stephanie greene » Aug 04, 2004 4:30 pm

Andy,

thank you for that reply... I am glad to hear of other options too!
Stephanie
stephanie greene
Welcomed Friend

suggestion for constipation (maybe TMI, may cause nausea)

Postby kitty_doc » Aug 05, 2004 1:08 pm

If you can possibly swallow a couple of Senecot-S tablets once a day, you will get tremendous relief from the constipation and you may feel better too once that is resoved. I find that I am much more nauseated if I am constipated. The Senecot-S is a natural vegetable laxative with stool softener in it. It is gentle and does not cause cramping or diarrhea--just helps everything move in the right direction (sorry if this makes you as sick as it does me when I have to think about it *GAG*). Anyway, I wanted to give you this info since I am also having a problem with this and I hate it when I forget to take it!!
Julie aka Kitty Doc
Rebecca 5/17/88 mod HG 22wks
Jessica 5/24/91 mod HG 18wks
Kathryn 5/2/02 severe HG 34wks
Olivia EDD 2/14/05 mod HG from 7wks to now
kitty_doc
Welcomed Friend

Postby halgal427 » Aug 06, 2004 5:27 pm

thank you all for your support and advice.

i am 9 weeks 2 days pg now and i can tell that long peak period is here. i am trying to take things a day at a time. i am getting 2 bags of zofran via iv and 2 doses by mouth for total of 32 mg. it really does help with vomiting but that darn nausea is the tricky part. i did buy the sublingual b6 and had a hard time letting is disolve in my mouth and i would rather swallow it and wasn't sure if i should. it tasted pretty yucky so i went back to regular. then of course i gave up. i was so constipated that i took milk of magnesia last night and i have no idea how i got down 3 tblesps of that nasty stuff...ewwwww. i was so ill all night but it did the trick. i will by some senekot. much rather swallow a pill then that nasty stuff. i have to say that i'm trying to stay positive but i HATE hg. i hate this feeling and the nasty taste in my mouth and everything smells so gross. i hate it...i hate it...i hate it!

hang in there all you hgers. take care and thanks,
kim
edd 3-9-05
haley 4-27-96
devyn 11-20-99
isabelle 12-30-02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

Postby mom2matt » Aug 07, 2004 11:44 am

Kim,
My heart goes out to you. It does sounds like you are so prepared!! Im sorry the meds are tuff to figure out. I wanted to post, but read yours first..IM SO EXCITED TO TELL THE BOARDS, IM GETTING BETTER..HERES WHATS HAPPENING:
Im on a central PICC with TPN with 20 mg pepcid IV, Zofran oral disolve 8mg X2 day. Mind you this was working some days, and not so much other days..what FINALLY WORKED.... taking two more doses of Pepcid...10 mg, 2 times a day (when Im not on TPN) first thing when I get off the IV, and then 1 mini pill in jello in the afternoon. IT REALLY IS WORKING, Ive gained 8 lbs! My dr is not sure why the pepcid is working against the nausea, but as long as its safe. Im happly coming back to my family!!!!! The generic for Pepcid is Famotidine, dh found the generic at Cosco. I actually took my son out of the house (visit grandama) for the first time in 2 months!! ask about it. Yipeee. I'll say a prayer that you get thru this with a beautiful new little one.

Shlby

Matthew 10/01

Twins:
1 Angel
1 EDD 1/27/2005
mom2matt

Return to First Trimester HG