I'M PREGNANT!!

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

I'M PREGNANT!!

Postby Joci6 » Aug 06, 2004 5:57 pm

Hello Ladies-

I took a home pregnancy test yesterday which came out positive!! Today I got the blood test results which came out positive!! I am so happy and so scared at the same time. Right now I am taking synthroid for hypothyroidism, zoloft for depression and anxiety, prevacid for GERD, citracal prenatal vitamins, and 50mg B6 in the morning and 50mg B6 at night. I had a strong wave of nausea this morning but it passed. I filled my zofran just in case!! I'm going to need all of you to help me get through this so please be here for me. If or when the nausea gets bad should I start with unisom or zofran?? A nurse at the Dr.'s told me to start with zofran because it's more effective and can be used as a preventative measure.

Sandra
Joci6
Welcomed Friend

Postby carriedodson » Aug 06, 2004 7:35 pm

Sandra,

Congratulations. I would start with the zofran, although try b6/unisom if that worked before too! I started zofran at 5 wks and have stayed
hospital free this time. I am now 8 wks and on 24 mg a day. I am able to care for my 14 month old dd. Thank God for zofran. So far so good.
Good luck and I'll check on you this weekend,
Carrie :lol:
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

Postby Joci6 » Aug 06, 2004 7:58 pm

Hi Carrie-

Thank you so much!! I guess I will start with the zofran - I never knew about B6/unisom in my past pregnancies so I don't know if it would work or not. So you take 24mg zofran a day - is that 8mg 3x's a day? I'm so happy you have been able to stay out of the hospital. Gives me hope also!!

I'll keep you posted.

Sandra
Joci6
Welcomed Friend

Postby MamaLily » Aug 07, 2004 4:10 pm

Sandra-

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I'm so happy for you. Congratulations! I want you to know how happy I am that you are pregnant and on the journey for your precious baby.

I think you definitely ought to start the zofran at the first sign of nausea. My peri said that she feels it's best to start with zofran without going through all of the other meds first. And if you want to take zofran + unisom, that would be a good option also.

I'm really excited for you. You have my full support - I am here for you! I know you can do this.

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby halgal427 » Aug 07, 2004 4:34 pm

congrats sandra!
i am in the same boat as you...and am here if you ever want to talk. i am 9wks 3d pg and counting down each day. i am not the best with the technical stuff, like meds but i know how awful hg can be. i have hired full time help for my other kids so i have lots of time to post here.

i am terrible about meds...meaning taking them. i take 32mg of zofran/day and colace. i take oral and IV zofran through a line i had put in a few weeks ago. beyond that, i take the random unisom and b6 even though i know i need to take it regularly to work. my best advice is to try the b6/unisom with the zofran. i found that it helped keep the hg at bay for almost a whole extra week. that makes a BIG difference, as you know. the next advice...take it one day at a time. i had panic attacs at night knowing that hg was coming. that didn't help me much.

i think J.J.R. Tolken says it best when he wrote "I don't want to go to battle, but being on the edge of one that i can't escape is even worse"

that's exactly how i felt. everyone said not to worry about it or it will come harder. they can't even begin to imagine how we all feel coming into another hg pg.

we know how you feel and you CAN do this. lots of hgers have had better managed hg pgs and were able to deal a lot better. i hope that for you too. you are being proactive and doing everything just right. best wishes and keep us up to date!
kim
edd 3-9-05
haley 4-27-96
devyn 11-20-99
isabelle 12-30-02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

Postby Joci6 » Aug 07, 2004 6:55 pm

Anna & Kim -

Thank you so much for your encouragement and advice!! You don't know how much it means to me.
I think you are right about starting with the zofran first. And as for panic attacks - I know what you mean but since I'm on zoloft they are being controlled.
Anyway so far so good - I'll keep you updated.

Sandra
Joci6
Welcomed Friend

Postby carriedodson » Aug 08, 2004 9:59 am

Sandra,

Yes, I take 3 8mg tablets a day. Here is my schedule:

7 am
3 pm
11 pm

I just wake myself up if I am asleep. I also take 40 mg pepcid a day and one 800 mg tablet of folic acid. Prenatals are out of the question right now. I also have found that lime gatorade is one of the original flavors and is not sicky sweet like the other flavors I even water it down and sip all day ( I try anyways :D ) also try a snow cone machine available at Target or Wal MArt. It really helps keep hydrated. Zofran always works better when I am good on fluids. I hate that dry mouth/lips feeling. It makes me sicker. I hope this helps. Let us know what you are going to take and what dr. says. :o
Carrie
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 10, 2004 10:20 am

Sandra,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I always recommend trying the Unisom first, for several reasons. Despite how well we all do on Zofran and that there are not signs that it is a risk to our babies, B6/Unisom has actually been tested far longer and is known to be safe for sure. Zofran also brings a nasty side effect of constipation, not fun, and if that can be delayed a bit, all the better.

You indicated that you want to start Zofran or Unisom when the nausea gets really bad. Waiting that long is waiting too long to start anything, because before nausea gets really bad you are already decreasing your solid and liquid intake and then you'd be starting Zofran not fully hydrated, and that is really counterproductive.

The best rule of thumb I have found is to start your next level of proactive planning (do you have a protocol written?) at the first sign of nausea, for example: are on 100 mgs of B6 pre-conception, get pg, slightly nauseas, up B6 to 150 - maxed out. Nauseas a few days later, add 1/2 a Unisom at night. Nauseas again the next day, add 1/2 or 1/4 Unisom in morning, (or you can try 1,000 mgs of powdered ginger root, or you can try Meclizine), nausea held at bay for a few more days, then back, add more of drug of choice, or try adding something new, etc. etc. Always increase or start your next level of proactive fighting at the first sign of nausea that you cannot manage w/ eating or sucking on something. Make sure you are eating small frequent meals, keeping liquids and solids separate. You can follow this proactive plan until you are on the max dose of all of your preferred options and it's just not enough. Sometimes you don't get to that point, and others do, but being proactive means that you will go down that spiral many less times than being reactive to the HG. For some it means IVs before they are super dehydrated, and PICC lines before they've blown all of their veins. Some gals actually avoid IVs or at least PICC lines because of their proactive measures ~ all HGers suffer less fighting proactively.

So, you've already had a little bit of nausea, start Unisom now. Increase as you need according to your nausea up to 3 tabs per day which is the max of Unisom you can be on. If you cannot tolerate Unisom, you'll know right away, and you're early enough it will not effect the HG adversely, and then can explore lesser options to help the Zofran out before you really NEED the help badly. B6 does help w/ the nausea, but the combination is far more effective. I've also seen gals on Zofran still battling horrible nausea at 13 wks add B6/Unisom to their drug routine and recover much more quickly. You have to remember that unless you have an adverse reaction, HG drugs do not tend to "quit working" once they have worked for you, it's that the HG moves up to a level that your drug regimen is not able to handle. If you haven't tried Unisom before, it has such a great history of helping w/ nausea leftover from Zofran, and such a safe rating it's worth seeing if it will be helpful for you. I've seen over and over how lots of little things add up to the best treatment of HG. Zofran is great! I was on it for 31 months, but I had to have the B6/Unisom combo in order to survive as well as I did, and other gals have done well on other combos. It's very uncommon to be able to survive HG on Zofran alone.

Huge hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby Joci6 » Aug 10, 2004 7:53 pm

Andy-

Thank you so much!! I appreciate your advice. So far I'm doing really well. No nausea the past few days. So I'm still just on 100mg.B6 plus the Citracal prenatal vitamin. Hope things are going well for you. I'll keep you posted.

Sandra
Joci6
Welcomed Friend

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 11, 2004 11:45 am

Every day w/ no nausea is such a blessing! Don't forget to add in the B6 you're getting from your prenatal when you figure out your 150 mgs if you want to go higher than the 100 you're taking. So glad to hear things are well for you. These waiting days can be so hard. Enjoy as much of this time as you can.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to First Trimester HG