Mental Game

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Mental Game

Postby HdGAMom2B » Aug 08, 2004 5:45 am

Hi All! I havne't posted in a few days. Lately, I'm doing well. Majorly better this time around. I know that prayer works, because I have not vomited once. That's a vistory for me, who is now terrified of te first round, leading to a cycle...

My battle right now, is to continue to live as though this is normal morning sickness. I know notihng else but aweful illness, and even though I feel generally ok, with some mild nausea, i'm eating all day long, and working full time. Even with this good news, I come home, and I crash. Is this ok? I'm in bed right after work, and I end up there all night long. I feel like i'm neglecting my husband, who's smell is irritating. I don't want to talk on the phone. I find myself feeling depresed and tired.

So, even though I have no bad symptoms, why am I acting this way? Should I rejoice wiht my success wit Zofran and all that, and be outdoors living life? Because, I'm not. I'm exhausted, and people think that if 'm not vomitting, I should be out and bout, being happy to even be pregnant.

Am I missing something? Have I lost it?

Christy
*We're pregnant!! 30 wks -due March 24th, 2005
*Failed adoption after 6 wonderful days (baby Claire Delaney, b. 5/6/04)
*'Therapeutic Termination' at 11 wks. due to mistreated HG in first pg, term. 6/15/99
HdGAMom2B
Welcomed Friend

Postby carriedodson » Aug 08, 2004 9:51 am

Christy,

Go easy on yourself. You are working full time and you feel guilty about crashing when you get home. I would do that when I wasn't pregnant. hee hee. I am exhausted too. Try to rest when you can- if you think you are depressed maybe the zofran is messing with you. I think all antimetics affect the CNS so ask dr about it. I was horribly depressed and lethargic on reglan pump but didn;t realize how bad until it was out of my stupid leg. I will never be on reglan again, sister!! Seriously, ask your doctor about it. Don't worry. Rejoice in the fact that you have been ER free and don't have home health care. Talk to your hubbie and tell him you are in the first trimester where it will make you the most tired (in my opinion) Let me know how you are doing
Carrie
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

sounds normal to me

Postby kitty_doc » Aug 08, 2004 1:21 pm

What you are describing sounds normal to me for a HG'er. I don't want to ruin your happiness, but until my 11th week, I thought I was going to get through this pg without the agony of HG, but my symptoms increased dramatically over the last 2 weeks (I am 12 1/2 wks now). I have only had one episode of vomiting and it was just a little bit--I had not taken my Zofran that morning and as soon as I felt the vomiting coming, I took the ODT tablet and within 15min, I was able to go on. That is the only time I have vomited during this pg though and I do attribute it to the aggressive meds and rest. I sleep at least 10-11 hrs a night and lay down for at least 2-3 hours a day. The Unisom at bedtime really helps me rest and keeps the nausea away while I sleep, so I am getting good rest. My point of replying is to tell you that you should enjoy this time of mild symptoms and get as much rest as you can. It will delay the worst of your symptoms and hopefully, even the worst won't be as bad as in prev. pg's. This is by far my best HG pg (my 4th) even though I am in the (hopefully) worst of it right now--it is much better than my good days in previous pg's! Some days, I have 2-3 hours of feeling "normal" and I NEVER had that with any of my other pgs at this stage. I am praying continuously that this will end soon and I can just be a happy pg woman. Pg is such a beautiful thing and none of us should have to suffer like this. Those who have not experienced it do NOT understand and CAN'T--I really love the women who feel compelled to share how "they never felt sick a day during their pg--well, maybe coffee didn't smell good one day...." awwwwww.

Anyway, enjoy this time of feeling better and if it gets worse, we'll be here to help you through it! You can do this!! Stay on your meds and take care of yourself!
Julie aka Kitty Doc
Rebecca 5/17/88 mod HG 22wks
Jessica 5/24/91 mod HG 18wks
Kathryn 5/2/02 severe HG 34wks
Olivia EDD 2/14/05 mod HG from 7wks to now
kitty_doc
Welcomed Friend

Postby halgal427 » Aug 08, 2004 10:20 pm

hey christy,
really...you are doing great. you are listening to your body that is telling you do hit the hay when you get home. if you didn't listen to that you may feel sicker. i'll tell you, i hired a full time babysitter (my sil) and some days i get out of bed only to pee. sometimes i will use the intercom on my phone and ask my 8 year ols to make me some toast. talk about lazy. but i am listening to my body that is telling me i can't get up or you will vomit. i happen to be very sesitive to movement, it makes my nausea worse, so even getting up can make me run to the toilet. please don't push yourself. you have been through enough. and just think about once you get through this, you can start to do all of those things you want to do. hopefully even this light nausea will let up sometime before 20 weeks. i think most people with mild hg tend to find that they are totally functional agian.

oh yeah, i hear you about you husband smelling bad. my husband does too and all 3 of my girls. it is so hard because you don't want to hurt any feelings but it can be vile. try to explain to your husband that the smell is not personal. i think shampoo smells bad. that what i tell my husband and after doing this so many times, he finally gets it.

you sound so positive. keep it up!
kim
edd 3-9-05
haley 4-27-96
devyn 11-20-99
isabelle 12-30-02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

Postby MamaLily » Aug 09, 2004 4:29 pm

Christy -

I agree with the others...you are doing so well! And the fact that you are tired is normal for any pregnancy, and especially normal for anyone with HG history. One of my best friends has wonderful pregnancies (she actually ran a marathon when 8 months pregnant...makes me want to hate her sometimes :wink: ) and even she was very tired at night. Your body is developing another little body inside of you, and that must take a lot of work!

I also think that listening to your body is very important. If anyone is going to look down on you because you lay down when you are tired, then they simply don't understand HG. Pushing your body too hard or not resting when you are tired can really send you into the throes of HG...so take it easy and go rent a whole stack of old movies or something like that! The fact that you are fighting off HG (and succeeding so far :D ) is amazing, and whatever you are doing is worth continuing!

Keep hanging in there.

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby HdGAMom2B » Aug 10, 2004 5:43 am

Big Thanks to you all for replying to my post. I think I'm going to be ok. I've been struggling wiht fear,a nd I need to let it go. Fear and Faith cannot co-exist in my mind. Either I"m trusitng that i"ll be ok, or i'm afraid. I choose to let me faith lead me, rather than my fear. Fear had kept us from conceiving in the first place. We were too afraid of HG to try,a nd after losing our little girl in the failed adoption, it seemed we had all the faith int he world.... so it was time to let go of my fear, and TTC. And, now we're pregnant, and very healthy. I need to just take it easy on myself, like you all said,a nd be thankful that I can see the clues this time.

I woke up this morning, unafraid, for the first time in weeks!

With a big glass of OJ and a Zofran in my tummy,

Christy
*We're pregnant!! 30 wks -due March 24th, 2005
*Failed adoption after 6 wonderful days (baby Claire Delaney, b. 5/6/04)
*'Therapeutic Termination' at 11 wks. due to mistreated HG in first pg, term. 6/15/99
HdGAMom2B
Welcomed Friend

Postby Joci6 » Aug 10, 2004 8:04 am

Christy-

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. How much zofran are you taking? I'm 4 weeks and 4 days today and so far so good!!

Sandra
Joci6
Welcomed Friend

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 15, 2004 4:02 pm

Hi, just want to check in and see how things are going with your mental game right now, and had a few things to add to everyone else's comments.

In the first trimester you are building two things, 1 baby, and 1 placenta. It takes about a 3rd of the pg to build that thing up! Even non-HG women are very tired and fatigued in the first trimester, so that is "normal" for all pg women.

Choosing to become a parent is an investment. You invest your heart and your soul and at the end of life women can look back and see how much of life they sacrificed for their children. One of the "blessings" of HG is that we get to see a bit more of that perspective from the beginning.

I keep thinking, what, do your family not "get" what you've been through with loss to this point?!? You have invested SO much of yourselves as a couple to becoming parents, and twice suffered loss. You have every right in the world to come home from work (hello, most HGers can't work at this point) and crash. You have every right to curl yourself up in a pile of blankets in a room that's the right temperature because you must rest. You may not be exhibiting HG symptoms, but just contemplate what one day would be like w/o all that you've done to get to this point. You KNOW where you were at this point last pg, and you don't want to go back there. It takes energy to fight HG. So many times HG is a "diagnoses", but I really think it is a disease. HG is there, and you're fighting it, successfully. Zofran isn't all about getting you back to a normal life, Zofran is all about keeping you and your baby eating, and alive. You are investing into a dream, a desire, a future, a life. Others can keep going normally with life while pg, we can't. There's nothing in life that will ever be more worthwhile.

I can guarantee that when all is said and done everyone gets over the fact that you cancelled from all those activities and stayed holed up in bed. In the end, you give birth to an amazing, beautiful, angelic, adored child who will win the hearts of everyone! They forget and come back to see the baby!

Huge hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby Joci6 » Aug 18, 2004 6:10 pm

Christy-

Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing. Hope things are still going well.

Sandra
Joci6
Welcomed Friend

Return to First Trimester HG