Welcome!

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Welcome!

Postby Ivydragon » May 29, 2004 11:33 am

Please post about you! I understand you don't feel well (or certainly won't be soon), so you can keep it to the basics.

Where are you from, do you have a good Dr?

What meds are you currently on, what has been tried in the past, and what doses are you on. Are they working - are you still vomiting, how nauseas are you?

How far along are you? When are you due?

What are you able to tolerate as far as liquids and solids go?

Do you have supportive help around you?

Do you have a past termination or miscarriage - those emotions do come into play in the first trimester.

Do you have any other children you are caring for or worrying about?

Are you trying to work?

Ok, so there are several questions, so just answer as many as you have strength to. Simple answers are ok. The more info you can post, the better idea I have of what you are coping with - and it all effects your HG.

Huge hugs, and you will make it!

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

About me

Postby leah44 » May 29, 2004 9:25 pm

Hi Andy,

I'm glad to see the new site. Looks great. Plus it's so nice to have you here to help all of us!!!

Doctor: I am from Philadelphia PA. I have a great high risk doctor although for some reason HG alone isn't considered high risk (at least there). My placenta abrupted last pg and I had an e-section last time (i nearly lost my son) so I am considered high risk. But that's a topic for a whole different board, I guess. The doctor has been much more helpful with HG than my last one so if anyone needs a high risk doctor in the Philadelphia area, I would try Dr. Macones at Maternal Fetal Medicine at the Hospital of the University of PA. 215-662-2982. I went for a consult with him long before deciding to get pg and talked a lot about treatment options for HG.

HGs & Drugs: Last pg was much worse than this one. My nausea started at 5 weeks. My doctor was not too helpful -- gave me about 4 different drugs in a week but nothing stayed down. He finally called Matria & I was put on the Reglan pump at 7 weeks. That helped in that I was able to keep some foods down each day but I still lost 10 lbs. in 5 weeks & was absolutely miserable. I ripped the pump out of my leg when I had what was to be my last 1AM beeping experience. Gosh -- I hated those! Finally asleep & not feeling nauseas -- and BEEP, BEEP, BEEP and the worst was not being able to get that cartridge in! But, I digress.... After taking the pump out, I felt fine for a few days & then I got sick again. My doctor prescribed Zofran because I refused to go back on the pump. Wow! What a difference Zofran made! I was not feeling great but I was able to lift my head off the pillow & even watch TV. I couldn't believe it took them so long to prescribe Zofran for me! If only I had known of this website earlier. I started feeling a lot better at about 16-18 weeks. I threw up about once a day after that but I wasn't nauseas that much.

This time, I knew I was pregnant at only 3 1/2 weeks because I threw up 4xs in 2 hours. I rushed to the pharmacy, took a pregnancy test, and then called my doctor. I was prescribed 16mg of Zofran a day. I was on that until my first visit with the high risk doctor (at 6 weeks). After complaining of still feeling really sick, he upped my dose to 24mg. It doesn't stop the nausea but it helps control the vomiting. I do remember, however, many instances during my last pregnancy where I was ready to jump out of the window and I haven't had many of those this time around. I also remember feeling a lot weaker than I feel now although I've lost about 1 lb. a week since week 5. I did gain 6 lbs before getting pg in anticipation of that though.

Due Date: I am now 12w6d. I'm due 12/6 but because of the abruption, if everything goes well (i.e. blood pressure okay and no other signs of an abruption), I will have a c-section a week before. The doctors don't want me to go into labor.

Food: The only foods I've tolerated in both pgs are canned pears and bagels. Last time, I could handle pears and apples. This time, it's watermelon & canteloupe. This time I can also tolerate tostitos. Oh -- saltines both times too. I think that's it. Sometimes I dream about the food I'm going to eat once I feel better.

Help: This time we worked out the help situation ahead of time. My H has been a dream, I have to say. I think it's all those months of me saying "if we really are going to do this, you are going to have to take care of everything" worked. We also have FT care for my 2 year old. I miss playing with him :( but I know he's having a lot of fun with the sitter. It's gotten to the point where he thinks he has 3 parents (and that's a good thing right now).

Past HG: In addition to one successful HG pg, I have one past HG termination. It was a long time ago. I was in school and the HG threw me for a loop. I didn't know what it was or why I was so sick until years later when I got pg again.

Work: I am not trying to work at all. I did that the last time around and ended up worse off! This time I saved money, took the time off, and am trying to take it easier!

I have to say that this post took me a while to write. I had to come back to it many times but I hope it is informative and possibly helpful to someone.

Leah
leah44

Very Helpful

Postby Ivydragon » May 29, 2004 11:10 pm

Yes, it's very helpful! It saves me tons of time, and you as well, trying to figure out exactly where you are at, so I really appreciate all of your detail, actually amazed - you're either stubborn, or hanging in there ok. ;)

Some things you may not be aware of. . . the max you can be on Zofran is 32 mgs per day - so if you feel that a higher dose may be helpful, you can ask your Dr. about that. Also, Zofran is renowned for helping with the vomiting, and pretty much leaving you nauseas. We all know that that can be as harmful as throwing everything up, if it's enough to prevent you from eating. Many times gals benefit from a combined treatment approach. B6/Unisom can help w/ that left over nausea.

You're really at the peak of the worst right now, and you should soon be seeing a bit of relief. Recovery is still slow and hard, but it's not likely to get any worse than what you've got to deal with right now.

Keep me up to date, just start a post all about you when next you write, and keep checking in on you. If you'd like an HG buddy assigned to you, just let Pamela know in the New to the Board/Buddies forum.

You really made some great decisions in planning this pg, and I'm glad to see things going well for you. You're one of very few HGers who can actually tolerate saltines! To this day they make me slightly queezy if I walk by a display of them in a store and imagine how they smell. lol.

Have you reported your Dr. here at HER? They have a Dr. referral page. Just let me know. I copied down all the info and could input it for you. Thanks for the detail in your post. It helps me help you the best I can.

Huge hugs, and congratulations on this pg.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

introduction

Postby Carolyn » May 30, 2004 9:59 pm

I have a great doctor who understands zilch about hyperemsis but is willing to listen to me and get me what ever help I ask him for now that I have hit thirteen weeks he is reffeiering me to a high risk OB for further help. I am a five time sufferer of HG and have had success twice in my two beautiful sons followed by four losses. This is so much harder. I just don't feel as if I am up to the challenge this time. Myt family keeps telling me that I am doing great. I have been hospitalized twice so far this pregnancy and have lost 11 pounds. I am just hoping that it turns out successfully, I have an u/s every two weeks to make sure everything is going okay because my last pregnacy my levels kept rising and I kept getting sick I went to the ER three times in one week due to dehydration and lost 18 pounds in two weeks and this was after the baby had been lost. So we make sure every visit that the pregnancy is sstill viable because they couldn't believe last time that after the baby was gone my cervix remained closed for three weeks with mylevels rising still. I cannot say I have ever had an enjoyable pregnancy or that I have had a worry free one but to have on emore baby will be more than worth the suffering. I have survuved it so far along with the losses, a salpinectomy, an accident that left me wheelchair bound for months then with a wlaker for two years. I now use a cane and a backpack to carry my D5 1/2 juice. I was wondering if anyone thinks I should be checking my ketones while I am on this hydration. I don't get any labs done to check anytihng I just get more juice and the u/s every two weeks. Any way sorry this was so long. My pregnancies have been long and I have longed for someone to understand and not think that I am a stressed out over reacting woman. My doctor is great but every one in the office I have to go through to get to him drives me nuts. How can you exxagerate vomitting every time you tuen over, especially when you are losing weight during pregnancy? Oh well, you learn to be your own best avocate whether people in the offie like you or not. Thank God for all of you ladies and this forum.
Carolyn
Brandan 02/22/97
Bryce 07/25/98
4 Angels
EDD 12/05/04
Carolyn

Hi Carolyn!

Postby Ivydragon » May 31, 2004 4:35 pm

Wow, a fallopian tube removed, huh?

I'm glad that you have a supportive Dr. - it's one of the two ways HG can be treated successfully. Someone who knows the whole of it, or someone who doesn't, but will treat you with as much compassion as they hold in their hearts!

So, what meds are you on? Are you taking anything besides your IV? Being referred to a high risk OB might not be such a bad thing. They might know a lot more about treating this agressively. Have you tried B6/Unisom, Phenergan, Reglan, Zofran, steroids, etc?

What exactly are you getting in your IV bag, and do you think you are staying hydrated or not? You can test your ketones with ketostix, available at Walmart, I think.

How far along were you when you lost all of those pgs? How was your HG when those losses occured, and was your treatment sufficient that the HG was not out of control?

I hope that soon your HG will be letting up. With your two pgs that you went fullterm, how did your HG progress in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters?

Most women who have HG symptoms and loose the baby do start to feel better about the time the fetus has died. Many times women do not know for a few weeks here - in general, it's not common, but at the same time, the risk seems to be higher for severe HGers who's HG is out of control, so I'm curious to see if you fit that same pattern.

Huge hugs, and hopefully we'll have some suggestions that you can take to your Dr. for consideration!

Andy
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Re: introduction

Postby MamaLily » Jun 01, 2004 12:25 am

Carolyn -

I'm so sorry to hear of all that you have been through with your pregnancies. I pray that everything will work out this time...you deserve it!

It sounds to me like steroids could really help you. If you have lost 11 pounds and feel like maybe you could still be dehydrated, I think it's worth asking. The high-risk doctor should know about steroids, but just in case I'd print out the info from this website and take it to your appointment. http://www.helpher.org/mothers/treatments/steroid.php

Hang in there and keep us posted!

- Anna
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby Carolyn » Jun 01, 2004 7:56 am

Hi I wrote the questions down this time. I can't believe I missed so many. I am on IV zofran that I had to fight tooth and nail to get and I am also now on a prednisone taper that is saving this pregnancy I believe. I had kept NOTHING down for five days on ODT zofran before this hospitalization where I finally went on the IV zofran and prednisone. Now that I have passed the twelve week stage I am being refered to a high risk OB at my next appt Friday. So I am hoping that will help.
My IV is D 5 1/2. I do think it is helping because I urinate every couple of hours and I don't have the God awful headaches and peeling skin and lips as much anymore. I did get those ketone sticks that I saw on the survival guide I had to use them when I was on TPN with my first son I think, or something similar that tested my sugar.
MY m/c were at five, eight, eleven, and twelve weeks length wise but not necessarily in that order. The way I always knew I was pregnant was getting sick. It started in every pregnanct by the fourth week except this one it didn't hit full force until the seventh week and silly me I thought I might have escaped it. I hate to say but HG followed me through all three trimesters. I was on TPN until 38 weeks with my first son and 33 weeks with the second.
My first two miscarriages were spontaneous and I did feel better soon after but the last two were missed and my cervix stayed closed and the hormone kept increasing and I kept loosing wieght. I do not feel that I was well managed at all for one of them. When you are in the ER three times in a week and you lose 18 ounds in two weeks and no one even does an u/s they just say go get hydrated I thikn that was abominable but that is how I met the doctor I have now and he told me if I tried again he would o everything he could to help me and get me through it.
I thank God for this site before just for information but now that it is interactive and I can get help and support I feel so much better. There are dayus when I wonder if I can do this like yesterday when after two days of not vomitting I was sick as a dog and had to go to bed.
I feel more crippled some times than after my accident, I just can't move for fear of vomitting sometimes it is so limiting. I know it will be worth it. You have already been so great and I appreciate you getting back so quickly and any help that you cn give me with my appointments would be great. Any help that I can be to any woman or family that has suffered this or is suffering HG I would love to have that oppertunity as well. Thank you so much.
Carolyn
Brandan 02/22/97
Bryce 07/25/98
4 Angels
EDD 12/05/04
Carolyn

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 01, 2004 12:47 pm

When they put you on Zofran ODT, were you already in a bad state? Were you already dehydrated, or did they give you Zofran ODT while hydrated?

If you were already hydrated, and it's only the IV Zofran that is making any difference you're HG is severe - no doubt nothing new to you, just figuring things out.

Sounds like this steroid taper is what is going to do it for you. The biggest thing you need to watch for is relapse off of your taper. Steroids are toted as just the most amazing thing, and it's not neccessarily a cure. Yes, some women are able to do one steroid taper and never look back, but it's really not that cut and dry. Some do two steroid tapers, and some do much slower tapers to avoid relapse.

So, what are you able to intake as far as solids and liquids go? What has your steroid taper been like (doses, etc), and how has your appettite changed on the steroids?

I don't know what D 5 1/2 is regarding your IV. I'm so glad that making this site more interactive has been good for you!

Sorry, lots of questions! Andy
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby Carolyn » Jun 02, 2004 8:07 pm

Hi Andi,

Yes I was hydrated when I stated the odt I wasn't even nauseated he just wrote it in anticipation of upcoming events. I am already relapsing as I am being weaned off of the prednisone. I had three great days and have been getting sicker each day now. I started on 48 mg of prednisone after a week and tapered down to 32 for three days. On the second day of 32 mg I started getting sick again. Now I am nauseous 24/7 and vomitting again a few times each day. I am still able to hold down mashed potatoes and some dry meats like turkey and ham deli meats. I had some steak with nothing but italian seasoning today so that was promising but then I brought up pretzels so who knows.
As far as liquids go the only thing I can keep down is apple juice and only when I haven't had anything to eat within an hour and a half of drinking it. Also if I am nauseous at all I cnnot look at anything to drink at all. I can try dry toast, crackers don't even stay down.
Now as far as appetite I want to eat all the time since I have been on the prednisone. Before that I had moments when I was afraid to eat from being so nauseous but knew I had to eat something. Now I always want something to eat. I don't mind the questions if it helps anyone or we learn more and get help for this than ask away. If it gives me some ideas on talking to my doctor FRiday, which it already has I will ask for an extended taper. Then that is great. I thank you so much Andi for all of your help. I have always felt very alone in this battle for mty other pregnancies. People really treat you like you are hysterical. Take care.
Carolyn
Brandan 02/22/97
Bryce 07/25/98
4 Angels
EDD 12/05/04
Carolyn

Postby MamaLily » Jun 03, 2004 12:36 am

Carolyn -

I'm so sorry to hear that you are starting to relapse as you wean from the steroid. I went through that myself a couple of times and it wasn't fun! It really might be worth a call to your doctor. When I started throwing up a lot again while I was weaning, my doctor told me to go back to the dose of steroid where I wasn't vomiting as much. And I stayed there for a while before I was eventually able to wean. My doctor thought it was better to continue the steroid in order to control the vomiting. So please ask your doctor about it. If you're feeling worse every day as you come off the steroid, your body just may not be ready for it.

Hang in there! I know what you're going through and it is so horrible! But I also know you can make it...we're all here for you!

- Anna
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby teddi » Jun 04, 2004 12:40 am

Hello, my name is Teddi. I am pg w #2, and an HG survivor from my first pregnancy. I'm from the Bay Area, CA. I'm currently 8 1/2 wks. My Due Date is 1-10-04.

My insurance is Kaiser, an HMO here in CA. I thought I had a good doctor (nurse practitioner actually) but now I'm starting to wonder.

The good news is, so far at least, the HG has been a little better this time around. And I know about it this time, so I, and also my Dr(s) have been more proactive about it.

Last time around: About wk 5 I had "normal morning sickness". My tummy felt gross etc. By wk 6, I still remember it was a Thursday evening, it went from that to HG. In a matter of hours I became overwhelmingly nauseated & it didn't really stop until my son was born. The first three weeks of this, I was seen a few times by different available OB's. At which point I heard "Hmm, I wonder if we should give you fluids?". And they opted not to. I lost wt. quickly. I started @ 110 lbs (I'm 5' 2" and fairly small boned), by the time anyone DID give me medication (Zofran 4mg, every 6 hrs I think) I was down to 101 lbs. I was 9/10 wks by the time I finally was given IV hydration. By that time I had my "prenatal work up", and had my "primary OB". She was the first one to give me meds (Zofran and Reglan) and fluids. The first few days it helped some. Then the efficacy seemed to lessen. So after a couple of weeks I was started on Prednisone 60 mg, taper over 4 wks. It helped me gain a few pounds (I believe I was hovering around 95 lbs at the time). It was no magic cure by anymeans though. While the HG was like being hit by a train in one direction (vomiting) the prednisone was like a train obsessing me with food. So I ate a lot more, but still vomited a lot. I had difficulty with the tapering. Once I got to 30 mg a day, the HG would be the more powerful train, and I'd have to increase back up to 40 and start the taper again. Eventually we figured out it wasn't resolving the HG. Additionally, 1 wk after starting the steriod I came down with what we believe was a CMV infection (or probably a "re-infection"). That had to be the low point. I would run fevers, I had something beyond fatigue, and had a symptom where I was hypersensitive in my upper body (my body felt like one big bruise). Around the same time I started getting pain in my upper rt abdomen. 4 wks later, finally my Dr ordered a sonogram to see what was going on. I had gallstones, and cholecystitis. At week 16/17 I was admitted and they did a lap choley (removed my gallbladder). By wk 20 I finally hit 100 lbs again. The HG continued, but was a little less intense until I delivered. At no point was I given a "pump" or PICC line or anything like that. I do wonder if that would have been helpful. Other than that, I carried very small, so my dr. ordered u/s's every few weeks to rule out IUGR. I had one scare about 32 wks when my amniotic fluid only measured 5 something. Apparently I had a small leak. I finally put on a little weight. I remember my weigh in at the hospital when I had my son, 118 lbs. My son was fine, he weighed 6 lbs 15 oz. I left the hospital weighing 107 lbs (net loss of 3 lbs). My delivery was the "easy" part. My water broke one my son's due date. My labor was lazy, so after several hours of painless, irregular contractions they induced me with pitocin. Within 8 hours he was born. =) Healhty and cute. The last time I vomited was a few hours after he was born. I still felt nauseated for two days after, but it was rapidly improving. Hell was over.

This time: I weigh more now. Pre pg 135 lbs. My doctor had suggested I gain weight before trying again and I think so far, that has been the single biggest reason I haven't be "as sick". Also I started taking prenatals ahead of time. In March I had my pap, and told my dr we were TTC again. She told me then "We don't have Zofran anymore" (yeah right I thought, Kaiser doesn't WANT TO PAY for Zofran anymore). So I was really worried about that. So, I actually felt ok through week 3-4-5 (I knew I was pregnant very early), I would say about week 5 "normal morning sickness" started. I was still able to eat and drink. Then at wk 6, I got sick with a nasty headcold/sinus infection. I was running a fever, and I started to feel bad overall. My son had pink eye (twice) and gave it to me. I wasn't on any meds, but it was getting increasingly hard to get enough food in me. I was really only vomiting once in the morning though. I bought some UA strips to test my urine, because I felt as if I was starting to push dehydration. To my surprise, last Monday I had ketones and blood in my urine. I also had been having this pain in my upper abdomen. I was convinced I had a UTI/kidney infection. When I saw my Dr last Wednesday she gave me Zantac/Reglan (I didn't ask for anything more). The Reglan was and has been helpful. (my keeps my stomach from being pure foam) She did a urine culture, it was negative for bacteria. So I still was hopeful, though feeling increasingly gross until last Friday. I vomited 4 times at work. I didn't have a good weekend. By Monday I threw up 8 times. I knew I was definately dehydrated. I went in Tuesday, and I saw a different dr. (as mine was off that day) and I got IV Fluids, with Anzemet. This Dr was kind enough to give me a standing order with the infusion clinic, so now, when I feel I need it, I can go in for fluids. The Anzemet though A)burned in my IV and B) gave me diarrhea. Because I still have viral bronchitis I went and saw my primary care doctor. Asthma has been really worse at night this week. So I figured it was time to stop by and ask for some real nausea meds. I stopped by my OB's office, and she took a few mins to talk to me and told me again "We don't have Zofran anymore". She wrote me a script for Compazine (I should mention, I had a very bad reaction to Phenergen during my first pg. It severely lowered my BP, knocked me out totally and gave me uncontrollable diarrhea). In a nutshell, the Pharmacist refused to give me the Compazine. She seemed very concerned. We went back and forth (she asked me twice if my Dr knew I was pregnant!) basically she was saying : This is a Class C drug, and crosses the placenta. I told her : My doctor was trying to give me an alternative to Zofran (and I made sure to slip in "she said you don't have Zofran anymore" because I knew it wasn't true). Sure enough she said "Oh, we have Zofran". Eventually, she called my dr. And all of a sudden, there was a Rx for 20 8mg pills. The retail price was right on my receipt. The $10 compazine versus the $713 Zofran. Today I had fluids again. I declined the Anzemet. I don't think they do have the IV Zofran. I heard them say what they had: Phenergen, Reglan or Anzemet. However, I am pretty sure that my doctor could special order it. I'm still having that pain in my right upper abdomen. When I am dehydrated I keep having all kinds of things show up on my UA strips (blood, ketones, protein). I also lost some more wt. (Tuesday I weighed in at 126 1/2, by yesterday I was 125) So tomorrow, my plan is to try and see my Doctor. I am now totally out of sick leave, and I have get a doctors note to return ot work, or either be written off on disability. I can tell I'm getting to the point where I'm getting dehydrated faster and easier than say, a week ago. I guess the 10 lbs I've lost was my little cushion. I really don't want to lose more wt. However, I have not thrown up today since about 10 am, although my 8 mgs Zofran has long worn off and I feel gross right now.

I think this has been a terribly long post. Very sorry if I rambled on. I could talk about the husband who decided to be a real jerk since I started to get sicker, but that's a different post, with a lot more rambling, LOL.

Goodnight guys, and I hope everyone else had a good day tomorrow!

Teddi

What are you able to tolerate as far as liquids and solids go?

Do you have supportive help around you?

Do you have any other children you are caring for or worrying about?

Are you trying to work?

Ok, so there are several questions, so just answer as many as you have strength to. Simple answers are ok. The more info you can post, the better idea I have of what you are coping with - and it all effects your HG.

Huge hugs, and you will make it!

Andy
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Carolyn

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 04, 2004 12:52 am

Carolyn,

I echo Anna's concern about your relapse and steroid taper. Some gals don't relapse until their taper is finished. The way you're headed, we know you're on the doorstep of a relapse and you're not very far into your taper. I hope your doctor seriously listens to doing a slower taper because it is less risky than keeping you on the steroid longer.

Hugs, Andy
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Teddi

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 04, 2004 1:04 am

Teddi,

NOW I understand much more about your last pg. With your history, there is simply no way that 8 mg/day as needed is gonna get you very far. You know max dose is 32. Whatever seems to work, you really need to take it on a consistent basis. Ask your doctor about Unisom/B6 or B6/Meclezine. Let me know what they say. If we have to help you find a new doctor, we will--someone who isn't Kaiser's puppet.

Hugs, Andy
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Welcome Teddi

Postby Carolyn » Jun 04, 2004 6:42 am

You have put yourself in great hands here Teddi. You poor thing, you hear the stories and get amazed that we can go through these things and be willing to do it again. I can't believe your doctor tried to tell you they didn't have zofran, that's insane. I know it's expensive but they are supposed to have your best interests at heart. My doctor startted me on odt zofran this pregnancy. Unfortunately it didn't work and I am on IV zofran now and that's $683.03 for an eight day supply. I agree with Andi that you are going to need a lot more than 8 mg daily to get it under control. Best of luck. Glad to have you here with us. Can't wait till we get healthy, wonderful babies out of this. Take care.

Well, doctor's today I am going to ask about an extended taper today at my appointment so I don't lose all the progress I have made. My body feels like a big bruise but it is worh it, it is hte only thing that has helped at all. Talk to you ladies later.
Carolyn
Brandan 02/22/97
Bryce 07/25/98
4 Angels
EDD 12/05/04
Carolyn

They won't give me anymore Zofran

Postby teddi » Jun 04, 2004 4:39 pm

Well guys, I'm getting frustrated. I wasn't able to see my OB today, however she did call me and we discussed a few things. For the pain I've been having on my rt side, she is going to order a Hepatic Function panel. Although I'd also like to have a u/s done, I'm ok with this. If there is something going on w/ my liver, labs should reveal this. I am very baffled as to what it is though.

I asked her could I take two of the 8mg Zofran per day. It seemed that it was helpful for about 6 hours and then after that wore off. Her answer was "they won't give you anymore Zofran, I can't write you any refills." She didn't elaborate on "who" it is with the ultimate authority who is saying "no". She suggested halfing my pills and taking 4 mg in the morning and 4 mg at night, and alternating that with my Reglan. She's writing me off work until June 14th, with the expectation that she'll check in with me to see how I'm doing at the end of the week.

So in a little while I am going to go pick up my lab req and doctor's note. I'm thinking about stopping by the Member Services department and ask them what rights I have as a patient to get the medication I need. Other than that, I don't know what I can do.

Teddi
Teddi
~Angel babe~ March 2012
teddi
Forums Administrator

Frustrating appointment as well

Postby Carolyn » Jun 04, 2004 4:59 pm

Well, the doctor said today that it would be dangerous to put me on any more prednisone right now and we have to play it by ear with the zofran and hope that I can manage to keep something down. I wanted to smack him for the first time today. So I am on my last day of prednisone now and I guess I have to get sick as a dog again and not keep anything down and have more than trace ketones for them to do something different. I don't mean to just complain he did get me the home infusion services and the IV ofran but I really thought I was going to be able to feel better here for a while. I just have to see what a positive attitude can do for me I guess. Good luck with patient advocacay Teddi I would definitely speak to someone else. Your doctor sounds like and insurance representative more than a doctor. At least mine made me feel a little better by naming ALL the risks and my own lab work from the prednisone to tell me why he wants to wait to put me on more. Well take care. Have a great night.
Carolyn
Brandan 02/22/97
Bryce 07/25/98
4 Angels
EDD 12/05/04
Carolyn

Intro

Postby Bridge » Jun 04, 2004 8:21 pm

Hi, I'm in Buffalo, NY. This is my second hg pregnancy. I, now, have a wonderful ob and cnm. I am posting their info on the referals page. I recently switched ob's because my previous ob was very unresponsive to my hg...landing me in the hospital several times, because of lack of treatment. So, for anyone who feels their ob is not supportive in their struggle with hg...look elsewhere. There are plenty of drs that can help you.

I am at 10 1/2 weeks. My due date is 12/25/04!! Christmas baby.

I am taking Zofran, which is helping to control the vomiting, but, it still leaves me extremely nauseas and dreading the sight and smell of food.

There are a couple of things that I can almost always keep down...tomato soup is the most reliable. (I don't think that would translate to being useful to most, but it works for me. :? ) I find that if I am craving it, I have a pretty good chance of not throwing up. Liquids, on the other hand, are a huge problem for me. I have found nothing that sits well with me.

My dh is supportive most of the time. Quite frankly though, he just doesn't get it. It's frustrating because I know he's trying but, he does not understand how sick hg can make you. And he doesn't understand how draining it is to feel nauseated for months at a time.

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter, Madeleine. She is a handful, but, bless her little hear, she is also a great comfort to me.

This pregnancy was unexpected, so we were not prepared financially for me to take time off work to deal with the hg. So, I am still trying to work, but much of my job is having to be modified to cope with hg. It's a struggle, but I am hoping that I am soon to be through the worst of it.

I feel pretty miserable right now, but I know that it will all be worth it in the end. :D

Peace.
Bridge
Bridget
Mommy to Madeleine 2 1/2 and to baby on the way
Bridge

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 05, 2004 11:40 am

Teddi,

Can we help you find a new Dr? Evidentally she pays more heed to someone else than to you. You simply will suffer miserably under her care. Drs. can not only prescribe refills, but they can usually get ins. companies to allow Zofran at any amount for the remainder of the pg!

She is simply lying to you. If you really like her, remind her who her customer is, and that you know she is lying to you. Zofran is availalbe. Call your ins. company, and talk to manager after manager if you must in the drug division until you find out the truth.

There's a forum to help gals find a new Dr. The moderator is amazing at helping with this.

Huge hugs, Andy
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Welcome Bridget

Postby Carolyn » Jun 05, 2004 11:53 am

Sorry to hear you are suffering this again. It is great that you have a doctor you are so comfortable with it makes a great difference. You are lucky that your job can make so many modifications for you. I hope that it works for you and that you are able to continue as long as possible. Hope that you are feeling better soon.

Teddi

I agree with Andy that you should do something about that doctor. NO doctor should represent the insurance company instead of teh patient. I was getting my IV zofran from my pharmacy it took an extra day because he had to order it but he told me I'll call your doctor and get this taken care of. I will always go to him so long as I live in MA. I just got it approved finally through the home infusion company as well. When I got my delivery yesterday there were the zofran vials. I guess they finally realized it was cheaper on an outpatient level instead of in patient and ER patient. You deserve good honest care and I hope that you take care of yourself and go get it.
Carolyn
Brandan 02/22/97
Bryce 07/25/98
4 Angels
EDD 12/05/04
Carolyn

Kaiser & their formulary

Postby teddi » Jun 05, 2004 12:29 pm

Andy,

I'm not sure if switching doctors will help or not. Kaiser is an HMO, but not like "traditional" HMO's. They are the largest provider in CA, and they own all their own facilities and hospitals and do most care within their own system. Only the most specialized and "high tech" care do they not provide (IE things where the only really good specialists are in research Universities, like Standford or UCSF). So, in a nutshell you have a "primary care doctor" in the department of internal medicine. (Or for pediatrics, you have your pediatrician, for OB/GYN you have your primary OB/GYN). For anything you might see a specialist for, your primary doctor HAS TO refer you.

I know this much- I've never heard of a primary care doctor EVER ordering an expensive diagnostic test, like and MRI. I don't know for sure, but I get the feeling, that they aren't supposed to. (they should refer you to the appropriate specialist) For every condition under the sun they have a "formulary" of approved drugs. Here's what I know about how Kaiser works their "formulary":

They shop around, they get bids. For instance, say they need a prescription allergy medication (Up til last year they had Allegra). Well now that there is a generic available for Claritin, that is the drug they will prescribe. It's all about price and what drug for what condition they can negotiate from a Pharmacuetical at the lowest price. I'm certain they do not pay retail- but some negotiated wholesale price. I'm sure it's very competitive as Kaiser has millions of members.

Now, say you need a "non formulary" drug. Your doctor CAN get it for you, they have to complete some paperwork- a medical justification. Here's the thing though- this is what I've heard and I don't know if for fact - it doesn't come without a price to the doctor. Kaiser "bean counters" track everything a doctor does. I've heard that it's the doctors who order too many expensive tests, make too many referrals, do too many justifications, who don't get their contracts extended and get dropped, and lose their jobs.

I talked to someone yesterday at the Member Services Dept. She was no help. She did convey there was a possibility I could the Zofran at the "non member" price (IE full retail price of $713.95 for 20 pills). She said "maybe your doctor doesn't think it's medically necessary". I conveyed to her exact words of my doctor "we don't have it anymore" "it's not available anymore" "I can't give you the Zofran". Not *I won't give you the Zofran anymore * or *I don't think you should take the Zofran*. I get the distinct impression that HER HANDS are bound by something. The lady I spoke with said I could file a complaint about my doctor. I do not plan on doing that.

I work in a medical clinic. The WORST way to go about getting what you want/need is to make the doctor angry. Filing a complaint is not likely to further your cause at all. Doctors get mad too, and complaining about them won't get them on your side. Additionally, if I filed a complaint and switched doctors (which I can do), then I get tagged as a "problem patient". All the OB doctors have their offices in one area of the hospital I use. And doctors talk to each about their patients. And they complain about them. So switching to a new doctor won't help, because that doctor would already get an "ear full" before you even get to see them. I could transfer my care to a totally different facility, which would be very incovenient (a 40 min drive, versus the 5 min drive I have now).

It's very frustrating. I am going to double my dose and take two pills a day. I think I am also going to try and if I have to get fluids again, I'll take the Anzemet again, maybe the diarrhea won't be so bad. And maybe it won't burn if they do it on a slow drig (they did have it up very fast).

If I try the Unisom/B6... what are the doses I take? I'd like to try that.

:cry:
Teddi
~Angel babe~ March 2012
teddi
Forums Administrator

Next

Return to First Trimester HG