New Here...

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

New Here...

Postby erin » Aug 17, 2004 5:21 pm

I just found these forums, how wonderful! I will attempt to go down the list on the newbie questions.

Where are you from, do you have a good Dr?

Southwest suburbs of Chicago, I think so, I just switched after my doctor who delivered my 1st (and saw me in the emergency room with him) told me that it wasn't indicated to treat the nausea and Zofran was for when I couldn't even swallow my own saliva.

What meds are you currently on, what has been tried in the past, and what doses are you on. Are they working - are you still vomiting, how nauseas are you?

I am currently on 4mg Zofran 3x a day with 1/2 Unisom as needed for nausea. I am not still vomiting regularly, but I am still pretty limited in diet due to the nausea.... I think the Zofran needs to go up, I have a call in.

How far along are you? When are you due?

I am 9 weeks, due 3/25

What are you able to tolerate as far as liquids and solids go?

Not much, but enough to not need home IV therapy yet.

Do you have supportive help around you?

My husband has been great, he is a stay-at-home dad. My workplace could use some help.

Do you have a past termination or miscarriage - those emotions do come into play in the first trimester.

Nope...

Do you have any other children you are caring for or worrying about?

Yes, Alex, my son, turned 1 yesterday, this pregnancy was a bit of a suprise. It took 18 months and some fertility treatments to concieve him.

Are you trying to work?

Yes I am. Trying, that is a good word for it.

Well, thanks for all the great info I have found here already, and I hope I can contribute some as well.

Erin
Alex 8/16/03 (borderline HG, ER visit, Zofran for short time)
bean 3/25/05 (whew, this ones a dousy so far..)
erin

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 20, 2004 2:25 pm

Hi Erin,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you're keeping your head above water. You already know from experience that the next month will be a tough one. Upping your Zofran may be helpful, but honestly B6/Unisom is usually more helpful in combating the nausea. Have you read the sticky at the top of this forum about B6/Unisom/Zofran? That information may be helpful for you to know.

Other tips that will be of great import is to make sure you eat small frequent meals, and despite how hard liquids are (and we all know how hard it is to even contemplate drinking sometimes) Zofran DOES work best when you are hydrated, and you feel better, and you can reduce the likihood of ending up w/ an IV by keeping hydrated now. If you do start getting dehydrated, it is best to try to be proactive and get an IV before you "need one most desperately".

I hope you don't feel too pressured to work, as sometimes the stress and fatigue greatly contributes to the nausea and vomiting.

Please let us know if we can do anytihng to help you understand your options better.

Hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to First Trimester HG