Red spots appeared overnight.... what is this!!!???

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Postby SickGirl » Aug 20, 2004 12:57 pm

Last night for the first time during this pg (had prev. HG pg), I vomited. I was generally feeling more awful yesterday anyway (and still am today). Last night for only the 2nd time, I took Milk of Magnesia to relieve my constipation. This morning I went to the bathroom (MOM causes diarrhea for me), then noticed that I had lots of small red dots on my face, most noticeably around my eyes (not the insides of my eyes). It doesn't itch or anything. I also noticed today that I've lost 4 lbs. since getting pg (I weighed 120 lbs., so don't have a lot of room to lose) but I've been eating fairly well and keeping it down, except for last night. Anyway, I called the nurse this morning (my OB is on vacation) and she just said she couldn't explain the red dots, that it didn't sound like an allergic reaction and to let them know if I lose any more weight. She wanted to know when my next appt is and I said it is on Monday (3 days from now). So that was it... I am a little concerned that these dots showed up around my eyes today. I am wondering if anyone else has heard of this... I wonder it it's attributed to dehyration, meds (on Zofran, Phenergan, Reglan, Premesis, Colace, and Milk of Magnesia), etc. This has never happened to me before. I'm 9 1/2 wks pg.
SickGirl

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 20, 2004 2:48 pm

Do they look like a rash or raised bumps? Could be something viral, unless it looks like you have broken surface blood vessels in your skin w/ your vomiting. Many viral rashes go undiagnosed and there are so many. My son just had a strange one that looked like mini-chicken pox on his knees, but didn't progress like chicken pox, mild fever, no change in appetite, no itching, and it's just going away on its own. I think that if you're really concerned, you can see if your regular physician will see you.

Many times HG will be worse when your body is fighting off an illness, including viruses. Try to rest as you can and fight the HG off as best you can. Be proactive. I've never heard this reported as an allergic reaction, and most allergic reactions to HG drugs manifest themselves quickly after beginning them (and rarely w/ hives, etc), so if you've been on all of these things for a while it is unlikely to be a reaction. Some basic things like if the bumps improve w/ benedryl etc. can indicate if it is an allergic reaction, or if they go away and then come back when you take the same thing again. This also is not a sign of dehydration.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

They are under my skin...

Postby SickGirl » Aug 20, 2004 6:08 pm

more like a rash. It's not raised bumps on my skin.
SickGirl

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 21, 2004 2:39 am

Huh, interesting. If you're worried, I'd go see your Dr., a General Practitioner should be able to handle this, doesn't sound like it's pg related to me.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Found out what it is...

Postby SickGirl » Aug 21, 2004 9:57 am

I had to go to the hospital last night b/c I felt so bad... thought I was dehydrated. Got that cleared up and dr. said that it was some type of hemorrhages as a result of vomiting. I forget exactly what type of hemorraging he called it.
SickGirl

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 21, 2004 10:38 am

I am sorry to hear that your vomiting was so forceful. It's awful. Hope they heal quickly and go away. Hugs, Andy
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby Natalie » Aug 21, 2004 3:57 pm

Hi
This sounds exactly the same as what I had. I used to call them my 'speckles'!!! In my case, because I had been heaving so hard, I burst tiny blood vessels under the skin, especially around the bit above the eye lid but below the eye brow, under the eye itself (where I get black shadows / bags) and around the eye socket area. If it is the same, they do go in time - but you have to stop barfing so violently first - lol!
Natalie
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby bps821 » Sep 01, 2004 12:28 pm

Red spots (flat and pink) that began on my stomach and spread to my thighs and upper arms were the first signs of my allergy to Zofran. Kind of like the dots were "connecting". After enough doses, I was unable to breathe. If you are on Zofran, call your doctor!

BPS
bps821

Postby Ivydragon » Sep 02, 2004 11:57 am

Hi! Welcome to the board. Please post in the medical experiences forum about your allergic reaction to Zofran. We have very very few gals who cannot tolerate Zofran, and this is the first time I've heard of this allergic reaction (in over 3 years of board activity), and women should be aware of what to look for!

Thanks so much!

Andy
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby BlueEeyore » Sep 02, 2004 5:15 pm

petechiae?
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Return to First Trimester HG