hg triggers

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

hg triggers

Postby jazlynsmum » Aug 20, 2004 6:45 pm

does anyone else find that symptoms are worse after emptying bowels? TMI??
jazlynsmum

Postby clarissav » Aug 24, 2004 12:39 pm

No I don't find that symptoms are worse but I find that I feel like crap because it hurt so bad to get it out due to the Zofran. My stomach is just not happy and I usually have to lay down right after. So maybe symptoms are worse but I just attributed it to the BM.

God this HG sucks!!!

Clarissa
due 3.7.05
two previous moderate hg babies
clarissav

Postby Mar2 » Aug 24, 2004 1:18 pm

Almost every time I fainted during pregnancy was after having a bm. I went without a bm for 5 weeks at the worst of the 2nd pgcy, and although I didn't feel constipated much of the time, it worried me because I knew what was coming when my bowels did work again. And yes, I threw up and felt more nauseous after each episode...thank goodness they were few and far between. I don't know if it is true, but I always suspected that being so dehydrated and then having an elimination of even waste liquids, made me lose consciousness. Maybe Aimee or someone with more medical knowledge might be able to comment further.

I'm not sure there is anything you can do to improve this; however, I can tell you that the constipation pains/issues were lessened for me by taking zofran via IV or subQ. The oral zofran I had during my first pgcy made me feel terribly constipated even though I had more frequent bms during that pg.

Take care and best of luck.
Marla
------------------------------------------------
HG PG 1: miscarried at 16 weeks 3/18/2002
HG PG 2: baby girl 5/29/2003
Step-Son: born 11/26/1990 (acquired May 1997)
Mar2
Welcomed Friend

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 24, 2004 2:23 pm

TMI? Never. I've heard it all, and HG affects all of the systems, and it does no good to avoid topics. :)

My dh passed out after a bm once, and his DR. told him that it sounded like his blood pressure had dropped after his uncomfortable BM. My dh has a history of Irratible Bowel.

Many times HGers feel much worse being verticle, rather than horizontal. Unless your BMs are a good consistency, BM's for HGers take patience and energy, both of which will make an HGer feel worse, including not being laying down in your comfy nausea reducing position. I hated having to get up to do anything, bathroom , bathing, brushing teeth, getting food, moving, going to bed, anything made me feel worse when I was in the 1st trimester.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby Laurie » Aug 24, 2004 6:18 pm

Ivydragon wrote:My dh passed out after a bm once, and his DR. told him that it sounded like his blood pressure had dropped after his uncomfortable BM. My dh has a history of Irratible Bowel.

Andy

My SIL is a LPN and once told me that many heart attacks happen after a man has been straining with a bm, so this blood pressure makes sense to me. Also, during the worst of my constipation from last pgcy, I definitely felt very very weak and faint afterwards.
Laurie
#4 due 4-14-07, 2nd HG pgcy
10 weeks
Laurie
Welcomed Friend

Postby Mar2 » Aug 25, 2004 12:43 pm

The blood pressure thing makes sense to me too. Even though I wasn't straining much because it felt more like something happening to me rather than something I was controlling, it was terribly painful and stressful. I got agitated and upset just knowing it was happening. Now there's TMI for you ;)
Marla
------------------------------------------------
HG PG 1: miscarried at 16 weeks 3/18/2002
HG PG 2: baby girl 5/29/2003
Step-Son: born 11/26/1990 (acquired May 1997)
Mar2
Welcomed Friend

Postby aaronsmommy » Aug 25, 2004 3:19 pm

Having a bowel movement stimulates the part of the nervous system that makes blood pressure drop, so it is not an unusual thing to feel lightheaded or pass out after this. It's actually the same physical response that makes some pass out with a blood draw.

I passed out cold after a bowel movement in the hospital and the nurses almost called a code blue on me! It was pretty scary for me too, because I felt lightheaded and put my head down which always worked before, but I still just felt myself fading away. I wasn't dehydrated, but had severe anemia at the time which probably didn't help.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

feeling slow

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 25, 2004 3:46 pm

TMI?
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

TMI

Postby Laurie » Aug 25, 2004 4:43 pm

TMI means Too Much Information :)
Laurie
#4 due 4-14-07, 2nd HG pgcy
10 weeks
Laurie
Welcomed Friend

me

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 25, 2004 6:39 pm

duh :roll:

No poopie problems during pg, except the monstrous constipation. In the hospital the day Hope was born...let's just say I was loud and screaming with the pain. Post partum with Chris, my poopie was orange...TMI... :wink:
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Constipation

Postby dgh1973 » Aug 26, 2004 4:31 am

The passing out and heart attacks after BM's people are referring to is caused by what is called a "Vagal" response. This is a part of the nervous system that causes a drop in BP And heart rate with straining. I'm an RN so I have to caution patients that have been on alot of pain meds that cause constipation not to strain. That is why it is pretty standard orders to give colace, etc. to prevent the constipation in the first place so we don't have people passing out on us left and right! Wouldn't be a pretty sight! HTH!

Dee
#2 edd 3-27-05
dgh1973

Return to First Trimester HG