New Here w/ HG - Questionairre Answers

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

New Here w/ HG - Questionairre Answers

Postby dgh1973 » Aug 22, 2004 1:15 am

Where are you from, do you have a good Dr?

Live in Texas (suburb of DFW area) Yes, thankfully I have a good Dr. this time.

What meds are you currently on, what has been tried in the past, and what doses are you on. Are they working - are you still vomiting, how nauseas are you?

I'm currently on Zofran. I'm "supposed" to be taking 4mg every 8 hours round the clock, however my insurance will only cover 12 pills every 30 days so I've had to be very conservative w/ my dosing. We have already had to pay for 2 rx out of pocket (300$ for 12 pills) and will be going to refill again tomorrow. I've been taking half of a 4mg tablet in the am and in the pm... it's mildly helping but the effects seem to be fading. On the days I break down and just take the whole 4mg in the am I feel better and can actually eat a small breakfast. (I posted a whole story on my insurance company so hopefully someone will reply to give me advice on that situation!) The dr. prescribed me phenergan orally and it gave me hives and an anxiety type reaction, it was awful!! I had to get a steroid shot and I actually felt the best I've felt the day I got that shot. Although, I've read that is only safe in recurring doses after the 1st trimester. Anyway, I've done the unisom/b6 thing, but I just can't seem to make myself swallow anymore pills.. it gags me when I try. I've had IV fluids this last week and spent the night in the ER.

How far along are you? When are you due? I'm 9 weeks, due 3-27-05

What are you able to tolerate as far as liquids and solids go?

I just eat and drink when I can. If I take a whole zofran I can usually tolerate a small protein rich meal like a scrambled egg and piece of dry toast. The other day I ate a few bites of a baked potato and tonight I had a few chunks of watermelon. As far as drinking goes, I've been using crushed ice and flavoring it w/ sprite/7up and spooning it in my mouth. I actually craved and drank a dr. pepper yesterday w/out vomiting yoo hoo!

Do you have supportive help around you? Yes, my husband is wonderful, I wouldn't survive this w/out him. My mother also lives nearby and helps w/ my daughter.

Do you have a past termination or miscarriage - those emotions do come into play in the first trimester.

No

Do you have any other children you are caring for or worrying about? Yes, I have an 8 yr old daughter who just started 3rd grade.

Are you trying to work? Yes, I'm a nurse and I work what's called PRN. That means I work on an as needed basis when the hospital is short staffed. I actually have a set schedule of 2 days a week. I've had to miss because of hg already and I don't get paid unless I work. I have no benefits because I'm "part time".

I look forward to getting to know you ladies.. Dee

dgh1973

Postby dwtegli » Aug 22, 2004 9:41 am

Hi Dee,

Welcome to the forum. I just wanted to post because I also have an eight year old daughter who is starting third grade in three days. I also have a 15 month old daughter and a son on the way. We waited 7 years between our daughters due to the HG that I had with the first. After the second we swore we were never going to do it again and I was planning on having my tubes tied. I waited to long and we wound up pregnant again. This has been the worst pregnancy so far, but I am feeling better now. I am 31 weeks along though.

As far as your insurance company, I wish I could help there, but our insurance company was wonderful and after I lost my job we were able to qualify for Medicaid to cover what my husband's insurance doesn't cover so we haven't had to pay for my meds. That is the best thing to have happened because we are borrowing our hearts out just to cover the monthly bills due to me not working. I lost my job at around 13 weeks and I am not sure I could have continued to work anyway. I would have liked to have tried though.

I hope you feel better soon,

Hugs,
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 24, 2004 1:14 pm

Hi Dee, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pg!

Sorry to be getting back to you late.

I'll have to look for your post about your insurance company to get more info there.

Steroids are much less expensive than the Zofran, and it sounds like w/ your experience they would be a really great option for you. They are considered safest after 10 weeks, which you about are now. There is an increased risk of cleft palette before then. I think you should look up the steroid information and discuss it with your Dr. Between the saved expense and the good result you had with that one shot I think you could be feeling a lot less torture on the steroids. They are usually given in a 10 day taper.

I have a 9 yr. old son, just going into 4th grade. We received our curriculum yesterday, quit our consulting jobs, and have a foreign exchange student coming in on Sunday, so I am trying to get to the board when I can.

Hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Thanks for the welcome!

Postby dgh1973 » Aug 26, 2004 4:22 am

Wendy- Thanks for your reply! I'm so sorry about the loss of your job. I've actually been quite scared about mine. I work PRN as an RN which means I work "as needed". Well, this is a new hospital in the area and the "need" is there but I have no contract or agreement stating they won't just hire another full time RN behind my back. I pretty much have a set schedule and work 2 nights a week, sometimes just one which works out great. So far they have been able to cover the couple of shifts I HAD to miss because I was too sick and one I was actually spending the night in the hospital getting fluids. I just know they don't like to pay people overtime. Anyway, I'm just trying to think positive and praying the zofran continues to help me so I can at least function! Again, I'm sorry about your job and financial stress. At least you didn't have to pay for these expensive meds though!! :lol:

Andy- Sounds like you have your hands full!! Good luck w/ the exchange student also!

Dee edd#2 3-27-05
dgh1973

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 30, 2004 6:19 pm

Yeah, I suppose my hands are pretty full right now, I'm just glad to snatch a break and check in. Our foreign exchange student has arrived and is very nice. The kids are all like WILD children now. I will be glad when things settle down. She starts H.S. on the 7th, so I think things will fall back to a routine then.

Don't hesitate to write if you need anything.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to First Trimester HG