horrible insomnia ... need help

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

horrible insomnia ... need help

Postby halgal427 » Aug 22, 2004 11:18 am

hey all,
i know most of you 1st rimester moms are so tired all the time but i have the opposite problem. i can't sleep. here is wgat i'm on...8 mg of zofran 3x/day by mouth and 1x/day through IV (for a total of 32mg/day) i take colace for the terrible constipation. i try to take unisom/b6 but often unable to keep it down. the unisom does n't make me sleepy at all. i also get 1000ml of fluid via IV/day. last sat. night i didn't sleep at all all noght. i had been sleeping for a few hours a night before then but sat. i didn't even dose off for a minute. so i called my OB on monday and told him that i think the zofran is what is giving me the insomnia and that it is unbarable. my only relief it sleep and the days are long enough. he gave me 7 days worth of ambien, a sleeping pill. it work great the first 2 nights and hasn't worked for the past 3 nights. i am sleeping only about 5 hours total a night with tossing and turning. this is torture. i tried lowering my zofran dose and i paid for 2 days because i missed 1 dose.

anyone else ever had this problem? what should i do? i feel so stuck. i can't go off zofran but i can't take the insomnia. oh yeah, and my dr. didn't think the insomnia was from the zofran, i do. has anyone else heard of this as a side effect?
thanks,
kim
edd 3-9-05
haley 4-27-96
devyn 11-20-99
isabelle 12-30-02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

Postby carriedodson » Aug 22, 2004 1:53 pm

I am so sorry to hear you can't sleep. That is miserable when you need your rest. I am sure it is the zofran. Some nights it keeps my up too- I am on 24 mg a day. I can feel my heart race and speed up when I need to eat and I hate getting up to get something when I just want to sleep.

Are you able to eat anything? If so, I would eat a good source of protein before bed. This keeps your blood sugar stable and will help you sleep better. I know it is a pain, but it does help. I had horrible insomnia with pg 1 when I was on reglan. That reglan does weirdo things. I did manage to sleep better when I would try to eat something with protein.

Foodment Warning:
try apples and peanut butter
turkey and cheese
chicken salad (makes it easier to go down if in little bits)

I hope that it helps, I totally understand the dependence on the zofran. Sorry about the foodment if you're having a bad day.
Carrie

p.s. ambien only works in the first 30 minutes I think-it did nothing for me when they gave it to me in labor. Like I could sleep through the vomiting from the epidural : )
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

Postby erin » Aug 24, 2004 9:25 am

I have noticed too that I sleep better with protein in my stomach.

I had carbs last night before bed and slept very little, the night before I had some protein, out for about 5 hours, which is a record for me.

Ambien is a funny thing, they gave it to me in labor with my first as well, as if I was sleeping through the every 5 minute contractions I was having from the pitocin drip....... Didn't help me that night at all.

I seen alot of people say they wished that Unisom would help them sleep, it controls my nausea, which helps me sleep, but doesn't erally make me sleep either.

Erin
erin

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 24, 2004 2:04 pm

If you're convinced it's the Zofran, perhaps your Dr. would be willing to try the steroids on you instead? Maybe it would let you elminate or at least reduce your Zofran doseage.

Insomnia is something I have heard reported w/ HG, but isn't so common that every HGer on Zofran has insomnia. Ambien usually does the trick, so I'm at a loss that it isn't.

Other Zofran options to discuss would be Kytril and Anzemet. Both sister drugs to Zofran.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby halgal427 » Aug 26, 2004 8:28 pm

thank you all for the advice. i have been focused on something other then hg right now though...bleeding. it started a few nights ago when i was up vomiting hard. i had an u/s yesterday and the baby was doing fine and the blood clot hasn't changed so i have been put on bedrest and seeing the dr tomorrow.

worring hasn't helped the insomnia any. i have put this thing in perspective. i am so lucky to still have this baby after all of the bleeding. i have renewed strength. i am easily distracted from the big picture when in the midst of hg. i am so focused on that nasty feeling that i almost forget what it all is for. i still hate this feeling and cannot wait for this to end, but i am so thankful that we have both made it this far. i am 12 wks 2 days pg....seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
thanks agian
kim
edd 3-9-05
haley 4-27-96
devyn 11-20-99
isabelle 12-30-02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 30, 2004 6:12 pm

Kim, just wanted to send you hugs. All HGers have a hard time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in the midst of HG. It is simply a hard thing to endure, so don't be too hard on yourself. I am glad that you are counting your blessings. You are fortunate to regain that perspective. I hope the bleeding has ceased and that all is well w/ you and your baby.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby MamaLily » Aug 31, 2004 6:33 pm

Kim -

You've probably already thought of this, but just in case...Unisom gave me insomnia. I took it, hoping it would help me sleep AND fight off some of the nausea, but instead I was awake and nauseated all night. My doctor said it's a fairly common side effect, esp if you take just a small dose of Unisom.

Hoping you're okay...

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby SickGirl » Aug 31, 2004 9:49 pm

First of all, I hope your bleeding has stopped and you don't have that to worry you anymore.

I, too, had the side effect of Unisom making me kind of jittery and keeping me awake. The one time I tried it, I didn't sleep AT ALL that night. Instead, I take 25mg of Phenergan and it helps me sleep AND helps with the nausea. Have you tried that?

Best of luck to you! We're with you!
SickGirl

Return to First Trimester HG