Please Help! Getting very desperate, 12 week HG

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Please Help! Getting very desperate, 12 week HG

Postby Ridgielover » Aug 23, 2004 4:55 pm

Hello,
Anyhelp anyone has will be truely appreicated.
I am at my witts end, and am begiinning to hate myself for even getting pregnant.

I had HG with my son, and again, started with HG at 5 weeks.
I have a PICC line with a Zofran pump giving me 33.6MG of Zofran a day, .7mg an hour, 24 hours a day.
I have been taking the Unisom and B6, but they don't always stay down.

I had some good days, interestlying enough, two days where my pump was not working, and I was waiting for a replacement.

I have lost about 12 lbs. My home nurse has asked my OB for fluids, but apparently he doesn't think they are necessary (I haven't seen him since my 8 week, i will see him WED at my 12 week, 3 days)

The last week has been worse then previous, probablly due to havig a head cold, I have been trying to keep down some Benadryl, to cut down the phlem.
I just threw up some apples, which i was trying to eat so I could maybe poop. They came up so badly, they feeel like its still caught in my throat.

I am desperate for some releif. My husband no longer is patient with me. I can't take care of my 16 week old son. I have been told already I was stupid to get PG, since i knew i was sick with Brendon, and I need to suck it up, and do what i need to do. (Our house needs up for sale by 2nd week in September, ad I need to be back to work, so we don't lose the mortgage we have on the NEW houes, thats due to be done Nov, that we put our whole savings into Back in January)

I hope someone has a smoking gun,
HELP,

I want to be prepareed when i see my OB wed.

HELP HELP HELP :oops:
Ridgielover

Postby kitty_doc » Aug 23, 2004 5:21 pm

Let me say that I really feel for you--having HG with a 16week old must be horrible, but your DH has 50% of the responsibility for this pg and he needs to share the tough part too. You can't change what is already done, so let's look at what you CAN do. You have already made it 12 weeks and that's a big hurdle. You are most likely in the worst of it right now, so of course it feels like something you can't do--just like when you are in transition labor and think you can't go on--but you do! Remind yourself that you will probably feel a little better in a week or two. It isn't going to get better overnight, but it will get better. In the meantime, definitely keep taking the B6 and Unisom and try to add some Zantac twice a day--I have found that to be one of the most important things--to keep the stomach acid down and keep gas to a minimum. Also, try taking some Senecot for the constipation--take it every day. You will feel better once you have moved some of that out and nothing you eat will help--especially if you are vomiting it! Finally, do everything you can to stay hydrated--eat watermelon, get some Slurpees and sip constantly, but keep yourself hydrated! This will make you feel better too. One thing that I have found is that when I eat salty stuff that helps too, so find something that you can tolerate eating and keep eating. Nap as much as you can so you are well rested too. I sense your desperation and I pray that you will feel better soon and that maybe some of these suggestions will help you.
Julie aka Kitty Doc
Rebecca 5/17/88 mod HG 22wks
Jessica 5/24/91 mod HG 18wks
Kathryn 5/2/02 severe HG 34wks
Olivia EDD 2/14/05 mod HG from 7wks to now
kitty_doc
Welcomed Friend

Thank you, and slight correction

Postby Ridgielover » Aug 23, 2004 6:04 pm

Thank you for the wonderful advice.
I am going to start the Zantac now, since we have some already.

I truely appreciate your time and patience.

My son is 16 months , not weeks, LOL
I would be even more insane if he was 16 weeks.
He is sick as a dog, of course, with Bronchitis. :)

Thanks so much!
Ridgielover

Postby galit » Aug 23, 2004 6:39 pm

Hello,

In order for Zofran to be most effective you really need to be hydrated. Please try and have your doctor reconsider the fluids. Perhaps the home nurse can help by writing up that you are dehydrated by having you keep track of how often you pee. I really can't believe that he has not seen you for 4 weeks and can assume that you do not need fluids.

Also, being dehydrated makes you more nauseas. It is a wicked cycle. If you can tolerate it (and I know a lot of people can't) FOODMENT try and eat some watermelon. I was able to tolerate that at some points in my pregnancy and since it is high in water content it might help in the dehydration. Unfortunately you are at the worst of it, but hopefully you will come out of it soon. Good luck and I know that you will get much more advice from women who have more experience than with Zofran.

Galit
galit

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 24, 2004 1:48 pm

Ridgielover,

Hi! Congratulations on your pg. It's none of anyone's business when you get pg, and they have some nerve telling you you were stupid. I bet they will all fight over holding this baby when it's born! Some people just don't know when to keep their opinions to themselves.

12 wks is so hard. I would suggest going into the ER of your hospital of choice. Ask them to check your ketones, or tell your dh to get some ketostix at Wall-mart or the drug store and check them yourself. If you have ketones, you need to get hydrated. Refusing to allow an HG patient to be hydrated has got to be about the most horrible things I've heard in a while. You are aware that you have the right to change Drs., right? He is also getting PAID to care for you, and so he is working for you to keep you well. Demand them. Go to the hospital and tell them you're not leaving until you're hydrated.

I'm sorry your B6 isn't staying down well. One option is to ask for daily B6 injections. A neighbor did them my first pg, and my dh learned how my 2nd pg. They got me through the hump of both of my pgs. Not the most pleasant way of taking B6, but it made a noticable difference in my nausea levels.

Make sure you've read the B/Unisom/Zofran sticky so that you know how best to use these meds for your HG.

As far as the house, the job, etc., do your best to trust that all that will take care of itself with time. Try to focus on today and getting through the worst. Do not push yourself too hard or worry too much. You really are at a vital time right now w/ the HG, and I feel so strongly that if you can avoid a huge downward spiral now, you'll be able to recover more quickly and help to take care of those issues that seem so pressing now. Two weeks can get you much relief, or much misery w/ HG, and you need to watch carefully now to get this turned around now.

Huge hugs, and please ask anything you need, and keep us updated.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to First Trimester HG