Work Accomadations

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Work Accomadations

Postby Atsie » Sep 06, 2004 3:20 pm

Hi All,
I am really nervous because as of tomorrow I am back to one full time and one part time job. I am terrified that I wont be able to swing it. Since the money tree in the backyard doesn't work anymore, I HAVE to.
For those of you who kept working, what kinds of things did you find helped? longer lunch, more breaks? I think I will have support so i was just curious as to what people found helpful.
If I have to I will stop working, but I think the stress of that would cause the HG to be 8 times worse than it is!
Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Hi Erin

Postby IslandDreamer » Sep 06, 2004 8:24 pm

Hi Erin,

With my son, I worked ft until the 6th month, when the school year ended. The first trimester, I taught a fulltime schedule and two parttime ones as well...my money tree was broken too. :wink: Crazy busy just like you are.

Second trimester, I taught just my fulltime load...a bit reduced but still ft. Had to COBRA insurance because of the doctor's demand that I reduce somewhat...but the college was great about paying me well and my reduced schedule, which did mean losing insurance coverage and the need to cobra, did pay the same as the full load. They catered to me, and I know I was very lucky.

Taught with a shunt in my arm for weeks, puking in the middle of class, the works. By 2 months, I couldn't read without motion sickness...tough when you teach reading and writing. Then I made bf (now dh) grade tests...did a sample one and sent him to work. Can't believe it all worked out, but it did.

I napped during lunch hour...food didn't work anyway. Stayed faaaaaaaaar away from the coffee pot...kept fresh fruit in the drawer and had frozen water/ice chip bottles on hand at all times. Also sat a lot, standing just wore me out. Fortunately, I was well enough to function with just unisom/b6 by 5.5-6 months.

How are you doing? How far are you? Are there others who can help you? What do you do for work? Will your employer be flexible somewhat? Email me if you want/need: RememberingHope@hotmail.com
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby RebeccaM » Sep 07, 2004 1:17 pm

I worked FT for all but the last week of my pregnancy. I took a lot of sick days (about 3-4 weeks worth) but never went on leave. It was really hard and I can't imagine also having a PT job on top of it! I'm sorry you will have to work so much.

I would make sure you are close to a bathroom. I've heard of people just keeping a bucket by their desk, but I worked in a very open environment with no cubicles and other peoples desks 5 feet away. I just couldn't puke in front of everyone (although sometimes you don't have a choice and I came very close several times).

My boss also allowed me to come in to work an hour later, which was helpful because mornings were always the hardest. If I got out of bed to quickly or without eating I was sick for the rest of the day. This might not be an option, but it was very helpful for me.

Well that's all I could think of. Try to take it easy and best of luck!
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby Ivydragon » Sep 09, 2004 1:15 am

Rest is really important, and although you are concerned about the stress of not having the $, fatigue also contributes to HG, so resting as much as absolutely possible when you are at home is a must.

Begin now with small frequent meals, more like snacks really, so that you are never hungry, never full. Hydrate with anything that stays down well for you. Try keeping liquids and solids separate by 1/2 an hour to reduce nausea (unless the opposite is better for you). Food on the hour, liquids on the 1/2 hour works really well. Try to stay off of your feet. Anything that drains your energy only helps HG. Avoid smell triggors, strongly perfumed or cologned co-workers or customers, the lunch room, etc. Prepare your clothes and neccessities the night before for work if your mornings are very difficult, so that you literally do NOT have to think! Get into a routine. Do you have children you are having to care for in the evenings? Get as much help as you can with them. Go for simplicity with hair and makeup, still professional, but something you can do simply and effectively. I'd make sure to have an extra outfit in the car - just in case you do have to vomit and are not presentable enough afterwards.

How far along are you?

Hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby Atsie » Sep 10, 2004 3:13 pm

The extra outfil would have been helpful today! :oops: I managaed to get to the bathroom but not the toilet! I was to embarrased to ask the caretaker so there I am cleaning it on my hands and knees. When he relaized he got mad , and said I should have come to him. I have been really lucky. the staff have been supportive. I ended up leaving after that. What good am I if I keep running out on my student?? Plus, Part of my job is diaper changes. Not easy on a good day!!
Thank you for your advice. I am on a wet/ dry diet of bland foods. That seems to help. But the liquids kill me! So hard to drink. I nap on thw couch in the staff room during luunch and the class teachers have offered to watch my student if I need to run. So I am lucky!
Thanks again!
Erin

First pg
EDD March 25, 2005
HG since week 5
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Return to First Trimester HG