PICC line in Canada??

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

PICC line in Canada??

Postby Atsie » Sep 06, 2004 3:23 pm

Good evening,
I was wondering if anyone in Canada had any luck getting a picc line approved. From what the nurses at the ottawa hospital say, they don't do that here. :cry: That really worries me!!!! I was holding on to that with all might as a possibility!!
Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby MamaLily » Sep 06, 2004 4:58 pm

Erin -

I don't know about PICC lines in Canada, but I just wanted to mention that an NG tube is another great option for HG sufferers. I had one for 6 wks and it saved me! I'm planning on having another one in any future pregnancy. If they won't do a PICC for you, maybe they would consider the NG tube. Let me know if you want more info about it...

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby Atsie » Sep 06, 2004 5:52 pm

Hi Anna,
Did your stomach tolerate the food well? The NG tube goes into your nose and down your throat right? Did you leave it in or have to insert it each time? (I imagine it would really irritate your throat).
That was an option I hadn't thought of.
Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Ivydragon » Sep 09, 2004 1:05 am

Atsie, the best resource I know of for HGers in Canada is Motherisk. They are Canadian based, and no one understands Diclectin like they do! Go to www.motherisk.org and click on morning sickness. They have a hotline w/ a 1-800 number that all Canadians and Americans for that matter can and should call.

The NG tube can end in your stomach, but it is preferrable (especially for HGers) for it to go just past your stomach into your small intestines. This is great for intestinal health as your intestines will still keep working. All pills can be crushed, and you can get a prepared nutrional supplement specially formulated for you and liquids can go in that way, too. The NG tube stays in place and does not have to be inserted repeatedly unless there are placement issues. There is a risk of serious infection w/ a PICC line that the NG tube just doesn't have.

What was tried during your last HG pg? What were your symptoms and pg progress like? That information would be helpful. We do have a few Canadian HGers I can round up for you, and you can always check the HGers outside the U.S. forum to see if any are active right now. We don't have a huge number, unfortunately.

What are you doing now to help prevent and delay needing IVs and hospitalization?

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby MamaLily » Sep 09, 2004 3:54 pm

Erin -

Hi! As Andy said, the NG tube went past my stomach and into my small intestine. It was nice because I couldn't throw up any of that great nutrition...it was all absorbed by my body. I was given something called "Jevity with Fiber" - it was just a liquid with all of the nutrition (including vitamins) that I needed everyday. I had the NG tube for 6 weeks and I'm so grateful that it kept me nurished when I really couldn't eat or drink very much.

The NG tube didn't irritate my throat after the first night. My gag reflux was overactive because of HG, so it was tough to try not to vomit at first, but after the first night I really didn't think about it much. It didn't bother me. Oh, and it was all portable so I could take it anywhere with me (not that I went anywhere other than the doctor's office, the hospital, and my in-laws a few times!). My perinatologist said that he has had HGers go back to work and just take the NG tube/bag with them.

I have read/researched a lot about PICC vs. NG tube and everything I have read says that the NG tube should be the first thing to try with HGers. Why more doctors don't encourage the NG tube is beyond me. I have seen 3 perinatologists who agree that the NG tube is the way to go. Let me know if you want more info about it!

What have you found out about PICC lines or NG tubes in Canada? Hope you're doing okay...

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby bibliojo » Sep 09, 2004 5:31 pm

Hi Erin,

I'd be interested to know what the outcome of this is. I'm currently planning my second pregnancy and want to get a PICC line for meds but I haven't done any real research into whether they would do it or not here in Canada. I do have a friend however who is a nurse and she has said to me that they'd probably be hesitant to do it. :( It's awful being poked with all those needles, eh? But I agree with Andy, check out Motherisk. They might be able to help you. Let me know what happens!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Return to First Trimester HG