AFP testing and Hyperemesis... should I expect the worst?

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

AFP testing and Hyperemesis... should I expect the worst?

Postby Loraline » Sep 14, 2004 12:43 pm

I am new to the forum. I am 13 weeks about to start my 2nd trimester. 2nd child 1st time with HG. I am so thankful I was told about this website. I thought for the longest time I was all alone. I could not believe that a pregnant woman could suffer so badly 24 hours a day.
I do have a question that has been worrying me since I was diagnosed with HG. :? Should I know ahead of time that the Triple Screen or Multiple Marker test (AFP) will come back with bad results since I have HG? Does HG affect the levels? What experiences have you veteran HGers had?
Please respond it will help greatly.

Lora
Loraline

Postby BlueEeyore » Sep 18, 2004 4:23 pm

Good question! I'm sort of wondering the same thing. I had HG with my first and got a negative AFP. However, this time (I have HG again), I got a positive. BUT, this time I had the blood drawn from a PICC line and not my arm. I wonder if the source of the blood draw can affect the results. When I was in the hospital, 2 different nurses drew blood for labs. One from my PICC, one from my arm. The lab wasn't even convinced the blood was from the same patient.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby halgal427 » Sep 21, 2004 2:49 pm

i had an abnormal AFP with my oldest daughter and i had amnio and that came back abnormal as well...and i DIDN'T have HG with her. i had HG with my next 2 pgs and had normal AFP results....go figure. just remember that AFP have a VERY high false + rate so don't be alarmed if it does come back abnormal. my daughter was born totally healthy even with an abnormal amnio and is now a happy 8 year old!
kim
edd 3-9-05
haley 4-27-96
devyn 11-20-99
isabelle 12-30-02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

Postby mammaclare » Sep 21, 2004 7:52 pm

I passed on my AFP...my OB was supportive of this as there is such a high false positive rate and I knew I wouldn't ever have an amnio. I can't think that HG can affect any markers for chromosomal abnormalities, but you never know with this crazy illness.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Hmm...

Postby Laurie » Sep 25, 2004 7:16 am

Interesting question. But I'd guess it has more to do with the high rate of false positives rather than HG itself.

I too passed on the AFP because of it's high false ++ rate. Like momma2be, I realized if it was pos, I'd never have an amnio, so why make myself worry for 25 weeks? I've declined it for each pgcy and will this one too.
Laurie
#4 due 4-14-07, 2nd HG pgcy
10 weeks
Laurie
Welcomed Friend

Postby Ivydragon » Oct 01, 2004 1:15 am

In the last 3 1/2 years I've never seen a correlation between HG and AFP results. Many gals choose not to submit to them, others are tested, but by no means do all HGers have the same results. My biggest concern w/ AFP is the worry I see HGers go through - and worry always increases the adverse effects of HG.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to First Trimester HG