13wk update (and I think I scared my OB today)

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

13wk update (and I think I scared my OB today)

Postby Laurie » Sep 24, 2004 6:53 pm

After 2 pgcys where I lost 60lbs each, I think I finally have scared my OB. I went in today and I've lost 6 lbs in 4 weeks. I did tell her that I had a stomach virus 'double-shooter' Tuesday and I'm sure that added to the loss but she wants to see me in two weeks instead of the usual 4. Hmmm.. Fortunately, I'm still waaaaaaaaay over where I should be at [gulp] 199 (thanks to 'bulking up' prior to this pg)...I don't think she has much to worry about...ROFL.

FOODMENT:
Well, DH has the stomach virus today and is home from work. I've been thinking about crab legs (of all things!!!!!!!!?????) lately so I treated me and the kids to Red Lobster after my appt (yeah, and NO comments from you near-sea people ok?? Just let me enjoy my midwest ignorance of what real seafood tastes like...lololol...and I'll let you enjoy what you think steak & corn should taste like <evil grin>).

But typically, bfast is something very small...poptarts & cereal used to work but no more. Lunch is the hardest to get down - I feel the nausea the worst at lunch and early afternoon (I cope by watching Days of Our Lives...rofl). I usually get a decent dinner down though. I know, not nearly enough food. But I'm trying...I really am. I'm over the stomach virus but still really dehydrated. I've been drinking only gatorade since Weds but my urine is still very dark and she confirmed that I'm still dropping ketones. I'm scared she's gonna force me on Ensure or something equally as nasty tasting that I won't be able to choke down at all. She was threatening that last pg just before I found out I had gallstones and thank God, Ensure is high fat and was definitely off my diet. YAY! <sigh> But I can't use that excuse this time. Hmmm...I remember that Carnation instant bfast worked last time for a while - maybe I'll try that again.

Just wanted to update when I saw Robin had put out an APB on me. ;) I guess in a few days, I'll officially be in the 2nd tri...hope my tummy realizes it soon too! LOL
Laurie
#4 due 4-14-07, 2nd HG pgcy
10 weeks
Laurie
Welcomed Friend

Postby mammaclare » Sep 24, 2004 8:54 pm

Sounds to me as if you are doing marvelous. I would work HARD on upping the fluids...you will probably feel better if you can get hydrated.

Congrats on all the food...I am impressed at things like FOODMENT crab legs!
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby RebeccaM » Sep 25, 2004 1:43 pm

FOODMENT: One of the tastiest thing I ate while pregnant was crab legs. Go figure! Of course I was well into my second trimester and past all the nastiness of the first trimester, and I had the HG pretty stabilized with Zofran. So enjoy that seafood! I, too, am an inland non-sea-dweller, so thank goodnes for red lobster! :P .
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Thx Clare & Rebecca!

Postby Laurie » Sep 25, 2004 2:32 pm

FOODMENT
Is Gatorade what I should be downing? Or is water better? I feel like it's just not doing much for me...but it's easier to get down than straight water.

And the food comes and goes. If I think of a food that doesn't sound totally wretched, I have to eat it immediately or it's gone and turns into sounding horrible. Today, crab legs sound hideous. Go figure?!?! But I do remember, Rebecca, that with my last pg, I craved (if you can call barely wanting food a craving...lol) the coconut shrimp they serve at RL (in the 3rd tri, of course).
Laurie
10 weeks
Laurie
Welcomed Friend

Postby nomore » Sep 26, 2004 4:23 pm

Laurie,

Gatorade I was told was better by my Peri's nurse, as it helps balance the electrolites that are so out of wack from dehyration. FOODMENT: she also said grapefruit juice worked well for staying down

Im so glad its going pretty good. :) Just a week or so till we TTC and Im SO excited :) Im having such good vibes things are going to be ok.

HuGS,

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby Kschwintz » Sep 26, 2004 10:39 pm

Hey Laurie!!
I am so behind on everyone!! Congrats on your pregnancy! One thing I have been drinking, and I'm not pregnant, but thought about it for HG women is Smart Water. It is water packed with electrolytes (I have a potassium balancing problem, so I drink it all the time). It tastes just like regular water. Of course, I couldn't even hold down water last time, but even if you could make ice out of it and put the ice in whatever you are drinking.
Just a thought.
Good luck!!
Kim
*Ainsley (11-26-02) born at 36 weeks Severe HG, Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome
Kschwintz
Been There Done That

Thanks!

Postby Laurie » Sep 27, 2004 4:37 pm

Thanks for the info! I'll stay on the Gatorade and try that Smart Water. My brother and his family are coming for a visit next week and I'm sure we'll be doing all the touristy things like zoo, etc. LOTS of walking all week (depending on how I'm doing of course)...so I'll be sure to try to keep both on hand.

Robin, I'm so eggggcited for you! Hope to be hearing about your BFP (big freaking positive) in 2-3 weeks!! Keep me updated! ;)
Laurie
10 weeks
Laurie
Welcomed Friend

Postby Ivydragon » Oct 01, 2004 1:06 am

Laurie, sounds like you're really pulling through the worst. Watch that activity! Too much walking could really put you into a relapse!

FOODMENT: Gatorade is great. You need all that extra stuff, sugar included. Much better than water for an HGer. I like mine loaded w/ ice so it's a bit thinner, when I have the flu, and I don't feel like I'm going to die unlike when I was hydrated w/ 7-up as a kid! Frankly, anything that stays down is a really great thing! Set yourself a small goal of drinking more the next day than you did today, even if by an oz. or two, and you can work yourself out of that dehydration if you're stubborn about an IV.

Hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to First Trimester HG