History of HG

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

History of HG

Postby Brenda in Canada » Sep 28, 2004 10:23 am

I was looking online - interested because of people's attitudes about HG - that it's not that bad and we need to tough it out, etc. I wondered - has HG not been around before? It must have been!

I found that before IV fluids were available, death of women with HG was about 25%! Here is a link to a page with more stats:

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1075.htm

It says: Mortality/Morbidity: HEG was a significant cause of maternal death before 1940. Mortality from HEG in Great Britain decreased from 159 deaths per million births from 1931-1940 to 3 deaths per million births from 1951-1960. (due to treament)

But today I read, in that same link, that Charlottle Bronte died of HG and sure enough I found this link:

http://acacia.pair.com/Acacia.Vignettes ... ibute.html

If you scroll down to the bottom you'll find it there.

I hope it doesn't make anyone feel worse to read all this - it actually made me feel more validated - that this can be serious business and that fortunately we do live in a time with treatment - and that treatment IS necessary.
Homeschooling mom to 9 yr old boy, 7 yr old girl, 3 1/2 yr old boy, and 1 yr old boy. Due Mar. 8th with #5. HG pgs with all (gone by 20 weeks) - fortunately with the best husband (of 11 yrs) in the world by my side. www.homeschoolblogger.com/mumof5
Brenda in Canada
Been There Done That

HG is very serious

Postby teddi » Sep 29, 2004 11:33 pm

A few months ago a woman posted about her friend who lost her baby and her own life to HG. And I am pretty sure she was from the U.S. She didn't seek treatment until she had severe and irresversible organ damage.

About a year ago, while contemplating getting pregnant again and of course fearing HG again, the thought popped into my head- I am so fortunate that I was born in this day and age. Had I been born 100 years ago...maybe even 75 or so...my HG was so severe that I probably would have been one of those fatalities. That thought is scary- but I've used it to remind myself that *I* will educate myself about this disease. *I* will be the one to manage it and understand it and will USE my doctors and modern day medicine as tools. It's made a big impact on getting through this pregnancy a little better. It's still hell and I still am sick and I still hate it, but I am not the skin and bones I was the last time around. *I* have to keep me and my babies well. Me. I'm the mom, and it's my first duty I can do for my babies.

Thanks for posting those stats. I'm going to print them out for my family.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Return to First Trimester HG