dreading HG for secong pregnancy

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

dreading HG for secong pregnancy

Postby Ginsyn » Sep 29, 2004 8:18 pm

Here we go again...

Im new to this site, I came across it one night working..(Im a Peds/LDRP nurse).
My first pregnancy with Alex, who will be 3 in December was quite eventful, the N/V started right away, luckily my OBGYN is experienced with HG, and quickly prescribed Zofran, which helped keep things at bay, as long as I woke up regulary to take it, if I missed a dose, I would pay for it..
I also had to keep snacks next to the bed, to keep something regularly in my stomach..I ended up losing 20 pounds until finally the N/V died down around my 5th month..just in time for the Preterm labor to kick in..so i was back in the hospital, for what I think was my 6th admit, not including my numerous ER visits...Once admitted for Preterm I was administered Magnesium Sulfate..and several betamethasone injections over the days..a Fetal Fibrenonectin (sp) test was done an confirmed that I would deliver early...luckily although the contractions never did stop, I never dilated..so I was sent home on strict bed rest with Brethine that I continued to take for the next 2 months until Alex was born at 33 weeks..
he was a healthy weight and ended up fine..

We are now pregnant with our second, Im 6 weeks to date, and have no signs of HG yet..although in the back of my mind I know it will rear its head eventually...
I was wondering at what week did the N/V start for others...

Thanks again to all that host this fabulous site..

KatherineI
Mother of Alex (3) and soon to be baby #2
Ginsyn

Postby teddi » Sep 30, 2004 12:12 am

With my first the HG started @ week 6. With this one (ironically twins, so this defies the usual pattern of multiples and earlier onset of HG) it was about 7 1/2 week. The first week to week and half was more "normal" morning sickness.

Start taking your Zofran NOW!! For some women it has helped A) prevent the HG from starting so soon or B) reduced the severity. But think positive!
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby Brenda in Canada » Sep 30, 2004 5:58 am

Mine hit at just before 6 weeks and I am at just over 7 weeks now. It's been a really rough week. It started out not too bad and every day or two it has just gotten worse and worse. I had my meltdown last night and my mom is coming from 9 hours away to help care for us for a week or two (I have 3 other children and I homeschool). My dh thinks (from my other pgs which have all been idenctical as far as HG) that these few days are the bottom of the barrel and that things will ever so slowly start getting better (usually I'm somewhat normal by 4 or 5 months). I hope he's right. It's hard to see out the end of the tunnel when you're in it - but hang in there and come visit here where at least we understand what you're going through.
Homeschooling mom to 9 yr old boy, 7 yr old girl, 3 1/2 yr old boy, and 1 yr old boy. Due Mar. 8th with #5. HG pgs with all (gone by 20 weeks) - fortunately with the best husband (of 11 yrs) in the world by my side. www.homeschoolblogger.com/mumof5
Brenda in Canada
Been There Done That

Postby J&Jmom » Sep 30, 2004 7:02 am

With my first pregnancy, NV started the day I missed my period. With my 2nd, it started around 6 wks. I'm now 6 1/2 wks pregnant with my 3rd, and it started last week. I got on Zophran immediately, and even though I still have waves of nausea, I'm still able to go to work everyday. Good luck with your 2nd pregnancy. Just remember that it's all worth it.

Danielle
3 HG pregnancies:
* EDD 05/23/05
* Jordan Fay 10/26/98
* Jessica Lucie 04/10/01
J&Jmom

Postby Ivydragon » Oct 01, 2004 12:40 am

Hi Katherine! Welcome to the board and congratulations on your pg!

HG usually kicks in about 6 wks. That's an average, w/ some women feeling nauseas at that missed period, and others holding off into the 7th week. I was in the hospital for an IV by 6 wks w/ my first, and my 2nd was a bit later, but I presumed I could get sick again, and was already taking B6/Unisom to help reduce HG. Proactive means can certainly push back that onset of HG.

Please read the B6/Unisom/Zofran sticky at the top of the forum for some good information there and feel free to ask lots of questions!

Is your Dr. willing to treat your HG proactively? Proactive action always works better than reactive treatment for HGers. If you feel you need an IV, go in earlier than later.

Huge hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to First Trimester HG