Update - diclectin and gravol

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Update - diclectin and gravol

Postby Brenda in Canada » Oct 01, 2004 8:17 am

I did call Motherisk and they put me through the whole deal with the counsellor - lots of background info, etc. They said the gravol is more just a short term thing to allow someone to keep their oral meds down and get sabalized. While it isn't necessarily going to be harmful to use the gravol - it isn't the best solution for what I'm looking for - which is relief from the nausea - the vomiting is under control. She said the best option is to up my Diclectin dose. I told her my doc said no so she said it would be good if I could get him to call them and they can fax him the info and studies on higher than standard doses of diclectin - which is perfectly safe. So I left a message at my docs and we'll see if he actually does that. Either way I've decided to go ahead and take 2 extra diclectin pills a day (every 4 hours or so) and my doc will just have to deal with that. I may just let my hubby deal with him for a bit - we need someone to be our advocate sometimes :)

Also on a brighter note - my mom has come from 9 hours away to help me - yahoo. Not only will that take the burden off me having to care for the 3 other kids - but I will have company and someone to take care of me. The days were pretty long all alone here with the kids and then dh was great about taking the kids to their activities and then off to the park, etc. but that meant I was home alone again.

I'm hoping I've already hit rock bottom (had a REALLY bad day the other day). All my pgs have had identical HG so I'm trying to remember. I know it's a VERY slow road back to normal - it will take months, but I can be hopeful if I'm past the absolute worst. The next week will tell me either way.

I love being able to come here ladies!
Homeschooling mom to 9 yr old boy, 7 yr old girl, 3 1/2 yr old boy, and 1 yr old boy. Due Mar. 8th with #5. HG pgs with all (gone by 20 weeks) - fortunately with the best husband (of 11 yrs) in the world by my side. www.homeschoolblogger.com/mumof5
Brenda in Canada
Been There Done That

Postby galit » Oct 01, 2004 5:53 pm

Hi Brenda,

I'm glad you called Motherisk. It's true that Gravol is only meant to get you through the worst, but sometimes that is enough to break the vomitting cycle. I found that if I was at the point where I could not stop the vomitting I would take it(100 mg) 1/2 hour before my diclectin time, it would knock me out for a while, and when I woke up and I was able to sip a little water and the cycle was broken temporarly.

Here is how I take diclectin, based on when my worse nausea hits.
1 pill - 8:00 am
2 pills - 1:00pm
2 pills - 5 pm
1 pill - 10:00 pm

My worst nausea hit at 4:00 pm and 8:00pm so that is when I doubled up. My schedule for diclectin has been different for each pregnancy because my nausea pattern was different. Remember to take the diclectin same time each day, and it works best when hydrated. When you first increase your dosage it will take a few days for your body to adjust. Also, the increase in diclectin might make you sleepier for a while until your body re-adjusts.

Please make sure that you are taking enough B6 as well. Another life saver for me was FOODMENT watermelon, it is high in water content. If you ever need to talk to someone I would be happy to talk to you

I'm glad your mother will be around, good luck with everything.

Galit
Last edited by galit on Oct 02, 2004 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
galit

Postby galit » Oct 01, 2004 6:19 pm

Hi Brenda,

I'm glad you called Motherisk. It's true that Gravol is only meant to get you through the worst, but sometimes that is enough to break the vomitting cycle. I found that if I was at the point where I could not stop the vomitting I would take it(100 mg) 1/2 hour before my diclectin time, it would knock me out for a while, and when I woke up and I was able to sip a little water and the cycle was broken temporarly.

Here is how I take diclectin, based on when my worse nausea hits.
1 pill - 8:00 am
2 pills - 1:00pm
2 pills - 5 pm
1 pill - 10:00 pm

My worst nausea hit at 4:00 pm and 9:00pm so that is when I doubled up. My schedule for diclectin has been different for each pregnancy because my nausea pattern was different. Remember to take the diclectin same time each day, and it works best when hydrated. When you first increase your dosage it will take a few days for your body to adjust. Also, the increase in diclectin might make you sleepier for a while until your body re-adjusts.

Please make sure that you are taking enough B6 as well. Another life saver for me was FOODMENT watermelon, it is high in water content. If you ever need to talk to someone I would be happy to talk to you

I'm glad your mother will be around, good luck with everything.

Galit
galit

Return to First Trimester HG