Update - trip to ER

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Update - trip to ER

Postby Brenda in Canada » Oct 03, 2004 7:10 am

After having such a good day on Friday I wasn't expecting Saturday to be another bad day. I tried to eat during the morning but my stomach just would not settle. The meds conked me out for a couple hours around lunch time and when I woke up my stomach was really empty. Everything I tried - mostly just fluids - would not stay down. By night time I was losing it. I couldn't stop shaking or get my breathing under control. I kept trying to drink but it would just come back up. My lips were getting chapped and I couldn't stop crying. I was so desperate! I just couldn't take it anymore. So I told dh I was ready to go to the hospital. My parents had taken the kids out to eat so we left them a note. I've heard some horror stories about how some medical people treat people with hyperemesis gravidarum (it's in your head - your not trying hard enough - just have some crackers ...) so I just prayed I wouldn't get anyone like that. And fortunately I didn't. They were all very nice - I got an IV which I was thankful for and didn't mind at all. It was a bit chilly so they would bring me warmed up blankets. Later they gave me some gravol through my IV. Around 1am the doc said I could stay overnight or go home - it was up to me. I decided to go home because I didn't think I'd be able to sleep well there at all and I was really tired. I was hoping my tummy would feel better than it did by the time I left but it was just so empty. He said I could take my diclectin as well. I was able to sleep - fortunately and here I am Sunday morning trying to face another day of this. So far so good - I've held down a bit of cereal and now I'm eating cucumbers. I really hope I have a good day.
Homeschooling mom to 9 yr old boy, 7 yr old girl, 3 1/2 yr old boy, and 1 yr old boy. Due Mar. 8th with #5. HG pgs with all (gone by 20 weeks) - fortunately with the best husband (of 11 yrs) in the world by my side. www.homeschoolblogger.com/mumof5
Brenda in Canada
Been There Done That

Postby Brenda in Canada » Oct 03, 2004 7:18 am

Oh - and the doc said that if things don't settle down that I should come back in a couple days. That was nice to hear - like they took us seriously and we weren't just an inconvenience.
Homeschooling mom to 9 yr old boy, 7 yr old girl, 3 1/2 yr old boy, and 1 yr old boy. Due Mar. 8th with #5. HG pgs with all (gone by 20 weeks) - fortunately with the best husband (of 11 yrs) in the world by my side. www.homeschoolblogger.com/mumof5
Brenda in Canada
Been There Done That

Postby dwtegli » Oct 03, 2004 10:34 am

I am glad you had a good experience in the ER. I two have heard the horror stories about medical people not taking HG seriously. Thankfully, when I had to make trips to the ER they were very helpful and that is actually where I put two and two together and figured out I had HG. They sent me home with an instruction sheet on how to treat Hyperemesis and I thought "oh, there is a name for this". So I did some searching on the web and found this sight. This was actually after I had been admitted to the hospital for hyperemesis, it just never really registered that the condition had a name even though I heard the nurses and the doc mention it. I was pretty out of it at the time. It took seeing it in print to register. Anyway, my point is, thank god for ERs and other medical personnel who do take us seriously. Where would we be without them?
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Hi Brenda

Postby CathC » Oct 03, 2004 5:53 pm

I am fairly new to this forum - my intro is over on the newly pregnant forum. You and I actually have a bit in common! I am also pregnant with my fourth and am a homeschooling mom! We are also only a day apart in our EDDs. I am due May 19th.

I just thought I'd share a little tip with you about the ER. Unfortunately I've had to go there too many times. We have found the best approach is to call your doctor's emergency number and talk with the doc on call first. That doctor can then call ahead to the ER and order everything for you in advance. This was such a blessing for us because the doctor (even one on call that is not your regular caregiver) knows more about HG than the ER staff will. It makes such a difference to show up at the ER and say, "Dr. So-and-So sent me here and has called in orders."

I hope today was better for you! Yesterday was a real rough one for me, too (not as bad as your day, though.) Today went much smoother.

Blessings,
Cathy
CathC
Been There Done That

Postby RebeccaM » Oct 04, 2004 12:16 pm

When I went to the ER for the first time with HG (I didn't even know what it was until then) my nurse was a previous HG sufferer. She was very sympathetic. She said she threw up all the way until delivery. I remember thinking how horrible that would be and thank goodness it probably wouldn't happen to me....Well, it did. Kind of ironic. But it makes such a difference to have understanding health professionals.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby Natalie » Oct 04, 2004 2:14 pm

Hi Brenda

I just wanted to post and encourage you along. You, being on your 4th pg, know you are right in the thick of it now. It is so easy to lose heart at this time because each day feels like an eternity of misery. Ugh.

I think that even though you probably don't feel like it right now, you are a very strong lady to take the risk of going 12 rounds with HG again. It must be because you know the little cuties are worth it at the end!

Btw, where did you get the little strip with the due date calculator on - I LOVE it :D

Best wishes

Natalie
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby Brenda in Canada » Oct 05, 2004 5:38 am

It's at lilypie.com
Brenda in Canada
Been There Done That

Postby Ivydragon » Oct 05, 2004 11:54 am

CathC,

I, too, homeschool! :) Welcome to our forum, and congratulations on your pregnancy.

Brenda,

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go to the ER, but I'm glad that you went to get treatment. Those warm blankets were so wonderful in the hospital for me, too. You probably reallize that getting so hungry only helps HG, and sometimes that just cannot be helped. Are you trying to eat something first thing before getting out of bed? That was the way it worked best for me.

Huge hugs, and I hope that you have had some better days since, but also relieved that you feel comfortable going back into the ER if need be.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to First Trimester HG