Questions

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Questions

Postby jstenerson » Oct 05, 2004 12:49 pm

A couple of questions:

I am relatively early into my second pregnancy. I am about 6 1/2 weeks, and I know the HG started hot and heavy with my daughter at around 7 weeks.

The extreme projectile vomiting has not begun yet, but the overwhelming waves of nauseau and dizziness have. I absolutely cannot think of one food item that I would be able to tolerate (the smell of everything is so awful), but as of right now - very small amounts of ice chips are actually staying down fairly well. So, my question is - do I just continue to have a diet of ice chips only, or do I experiment with food - knowing that an experiment may or may not lead to major vomiting. Is it better to try and get in a few calories and live with the misery of sleeping next to the toilet, or should I just stick with the ice chips?

Also, I have not had to go to the bathroom (urinate) in well over 8 hours - is that a sign of dehydration?

Any assistance and/or input would be most appreciated!

Jen
jstenerson

Postby erin » Oct 05, 2004 1:28 pm

Jen,

Ice chips don't get a whole lot of fluid in you, but of course are better than nothing. 8 hours is a long time. Do you have any, or can some run to the pharmacy and get you, some Ketostik's (sp?)? It wouldn't be a bad idea to check your ketones and see where you are. Anything over trace probably means it is time for an IV and some more agressive treatment. The sticky about B6/Unisom/Zofran at the top of this forum is great, I have also read other women who are dizzy have good luck with meclizine, which is over the counter as well as Unisom. I don't get dizzy unless I am above moderate on ketones, so that is not a consant problem for me. B6/Unisom probably kept me off of Zofran for an extra week or so, but I eventually ended up with Zofran, Reglan, and home IV treatment for a bit to get everything under control.

When I am not eating, I personally have to keep down much more liquid to stay hydrated than when I am eating, so I personally would go the route of getting some meds to help keep some food down, if possible.

This group of people are great at helping out and they have great advice, please take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing.

Erin
Alex 8/16/03
bean 3/18/05 (Zofran, sub-q Reglan pump for 3 weeks then oral Reglan)
erin

Return to First Trimester HG