Anzemet substitute for Zofran?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Anzemet substitute for Zofran?

Postby madams » Mar 11, 2005 12:40 pm

I just got a call today from my doctor that due to my insurance drop Zofran from the drug list, they can't prescribe Zofran for me anymore. They are switching me to Anzemet. Has anyone heard about this drug? Is it safe for the baby? I am very frustrated because I can't afford to pay $900 for 30 days supply of Zofran. Zofran works well for me. I am currently 24 weeks pregnant and still sick.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Meena
madams

Postby Beth B » Mar 11, 2005 3:56 pm

I was given IV Anzemet in the hospital, and was told it was very similar to Zofran. I'm paying out of pocket for Zofran - I feel your pain there! :-)
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

anzemet

Postby IslandDreamer » Mar 11, 2005 10:02 pm

Hi,

I had IV anzemet in the ER, but I don't know how it worked as they also plugged in an antibiotic that started me throwing up again...sooooo in combination with an antibiotic and fluids, it did nothing for me...BUT I am allergic to or highly reactive to almost all antibiotics, so that may be why I got sick.

Good luck with the change.

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby amoberly » Mar 12, 2005 10:18 pm

I was on Anzemet in the hospital for my first pg, and it seemed to work for me in the early stages of HG. As my HG got worse, the Anzemet was no longer enough. As far as I know its equally as safe as Zofran for the baby. It may work for you if you are starting to feel a little better than previously. I hope it works for you! I'm so blessed my dr has been able to convince my ins company to cover Zofran for me, but boy is it a battle every month!
Andrea <><
Mother of 2 HG babies

amoberly
Welcomed Friend

Postby teddi » Mar 13, 2005 11:44 pm

Hi,

I took Anzemet in my last pregnancy, both IV and pill form. The IV form barely helped, in fact, I can't say it was the Anzemet or just getting fluids. I took the pills, got zero relief. I too used it because my HMO supposedly didn't cover Zofran anymore (they did no longer use the IV form), however eventually my Dr. was able to get me pill Zofran.

I knew someone else who was using the Anzemet for chemo nausea, she said it helped her a lot. It can't hurt to try. As far as safety, it doesn't have the track record that Zofran does. I am pretty sure it's a Class C, BUT it is in the same family of drugs as Zofran , so I think it's pretty safe. HOWEVER, maybe your doctor can use the safety class to get it covered? Have you tried that route?
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Anzemet worked for me

Postby *** » Mar 30, 2005 10:29 am

Hi
I took anzetmet with my first pg and it did help. At the time I was only given antiemetics while in the hospital (poor hg treatment, I guress they had to see me ill :twisted: ) I had both anzemet and zofran, I think it depended on which doc was the admitting doc. They both worked reasonably well. I can't say thet I love either of them but that may be because I had to be soooo sick to get them.
We are ttc again and have a peri on board who after our consultation sent me home with 100 vistaril and said to take 1 a day after I think I've ovulated until I know either way. If I am pg to up it to one every 6 hours and hopefully that will slow the progression of hg. He also has me set up with the resp/infusion nurses (home care) and just has to say the word and they'll come to do the PICC or one of the pumps.
Sorry for the ramble....
anyway I did have decent luck with anzemet
Forum Moderator

Anzemet worked for me

Postby bps821 » Mar 30, 2005 4:49 pm

Hi there. I am intending to get pregnant with my second starting about a month from now after having severe HG with my daughter, now almost 17 months. I literally have post-traumatic stress issues from the first and only pregnancy I have had.

I posted about Anzemet a while back (last August) and now see there have been people taking it with limited success. I took Reglan with Anzemet (like Benedryl to calm the jitters and leg shaking) last pregnancy - IV in the hospital, pill form when it would stay down through delivery. I am allergic to Zofran and Kytril and cannot be prescribed those. Through week 25, I vomited non-stop, but suffered only nausea 26-39. Its as if my body just got tired of throwing up.

I would love to stay in the loop on Anzemet as it seems to be the only one of that "class" of chemo/nausea drugs available to me.

Anything else new on the horizon?

I did read about progesterone being given as an allery-type treatment as I know many medical professionals believe HG is the body's reaction to progesterone increases.

My doctor had not heard of Anzemet when I saw him last October, so I gave him literature. Hopefully he will prescribe (I was told not to be optimistic about not having HG).

Big question, and sorry if wrong post for this, but has anyone had or heard of people who had HG with one or more pregnancies and then enjoyed a somewhat "normal" pregnancy subsequent with limited vomiting and nausea (what others would call normal morning sickness?) My fingers are crossed, but just getting my ducks in order.

Thanks!

BA
bps821

Postby tigergirl2346 » Jun 18, 2005 12:45 pm

Amoberly
I was on Anzemet in the hospital for my first pg, and it seemed to work for me in the early stages of HG. As my HG got worse, the Anzemet was no longer enough.

That's me. It was great for a while, especially since it worked so quickly through the IV. But I just switched to zophran because insurance wouldn't cover anzemet anymore... and it works better. The anzemet doesn't harm baby though.
Becca
tigergirl2346

Postby tigergirl2346 » Jun 18, 2005 12:46 pm

never quoted before... obviously messed that up! :lol:
Becca
tigergirl2346

Postby Beth B » Jul 18, 2005 7:33 am

(bump)
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05