What is max dosage of benadryl? Someone answer quickly!

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

What is max dosage of benadryl? Someone answer quickly!

Postby tilly2321 » Mar 17, 2005 11:12 pm

i am thinking of staring benadryl since movement is really an issue and I think I should address the motion sickness part of it with an antihistamine. Is there a certain kind of benadryl? How much and how often can I take it? Please hurry and read and post....
elaine
tilly2321

Postby mammaclare » Mar 18, 2005 10:03 am

I believe you can take one 25mg tab every 4-6 hours. I also think I recall that there are children's (12.5mg) fast melt tabs which would melt in your mouth--of course then you'd take 2 of those.

Have you tried meclizine? It is more indicated for motion sickness than benadryl.

Hope that helps--call your OB and see what the daily max would be...you may be able to take 50mg at a time.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Thanks~

Postby tilly2321 » Mar 18, 2005 12:48 pm

I tried meclizine, but unfortuantely threw up right after taking it. It was just coincidence, but I can still taste the pill in the mouth after vomiting so I haven't been able to touch it since. It was a flavored tablet so it had a definite taste. Uck...
I am praying for a miracle with the benadryl.
Thanks,
Elaine
tilly2321

Postby nomore » Mar 18, 2005 1:51 pm

Elaine,

I just wanted to add that dramaine might also be anoehr option for you for the dizziness. I know the dosing amount is on this website under medications.

Lots of people have also had good luck with that (although I never tried it myself). I did try meclizine (which didnt really help me much... and it took FOREVER for me to feel any relief from it- about 45 min after I took it, I finally had some relief, but this was before HG fit in full force, more like regualr m/s at that point.

I did take bendryl, but only in the IV version. The 1st time I took it it actually helped me somewhat, but subquent doses really didnt do anything but make me tired... but didnt put me to sleep.

Good luck!

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies