compazine suppositories

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

compazine suppositories

Postby mkrup » Mar 28, 2005 11:14 am

Hi , my daughter is currently on a PICC line and continues to be weak and nauseated. She is 23wks. and has been sick since 13wks. Has been in and out of hospitals for hydration about 10 xs. She also has a 22 mo. to take care of. She has been using compazine supp. for nausea but dosen"tseem to be helping Has anyone else used this? She is also on reglan and has used zofran and vitb6 but nothing seems to control the nausea. any suggestions? She is getting 2400 cal.in the Picc TPN is this the normal amt . since she is not getting in any other fluid?? Nervous mom
mkrup

Compazine :(

Postby Christi » Mar 28, 2005 12:44 pm

I didn't get any success from Compazine or Phenergan. The Phenergan suppositories actually made my rectum bleed... :(
I havent had the PICC line, so I cant help there.

Good luck to your daughter. Keep her focused on the baby that is growing, to help her stay as positive as she can.
Mom of 4 HG babies
daughter: 12-97
son: 8-01
son: 10-05
son 3-08
>o< mc:01-07
Christi
Opinionated HGer

Postby teddi » Mar 28, 2005 6:03 pm

There is steroid therapy also available. I would suggest trying that next. Usually you are started on a moderately high dose and then taper over the course of 4 - 6 weeks.

I don't know what dosage she tried of the Zofran, but up to 32mgs a day can be safely used. She could also try Tigan suppositories, or a combo therapy frequently helps (IE Reglan/Zofran used alternately together or also used w/B6/Unisom). She could also try OTC Meclizine (it's similar to Dramamine).

As far as the calories- 2400 sounds like a very good caloric intake. Does she also do IV fluids? As in Normal Saline bags or D5LR or Lactated Ringers? If not, she should discuss that w/her doctor if she still shows keytones and/or high specific gravity in her urine.

I was given compazine once, via IV, not as a suppository. I never found any of the suppositories (phenergan or Tigan) very helpful. The MOST effective was medication given directly through my PICC line or IV. I've heard a lot of women say the same thing.

Finding the right drug or combo AND figure out how best to take it (IV, suppository, or orally) is difficult but you have to keep trying. Please check into the steroid route.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby shearn01 » Mar 29, 2005 8:58 am

I am on TPN and 2400 cal intake is what I believe is pretty much the norm for TPN. That leaves a little cushion in case we can ever eat anything. I do know that some meds can be mixed with the TPN solution, that is something worth looking into instead of the stinking suppositories. I personally could never keep them in for more than 2 minuites so, they did me no good!! :roll: That was about the same time I was started on my TPN and I am still on it, decreased to every other night. I wish her the best. :)

Sabrina
shearn01
Been There Done That

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment