Zofran in the UK

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Zofran in the UK

Postby Natalie » Apr 01, 2005 8:28 am

Hi All.

Today I spoke to an Ob. at the hospital which I'll be under when I next get pg. I aked him about the availability of Zofran or Ondansetron as it is called over here.

He said it IS given over here but only in IV form and in his Trust, only after at least 4 other medications have been tried and have been unsuccessful in changing the status quo. He wasn't aware of any other forms of Zofran so I educated him - lol.

Hope this is of help for someone

Natalie, xx
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby HelenA » Apr 01, 2005 8:55 am

I mentioned to my doctor about zofran and it is available, even in tablet form, but I was told that it is not prescribed as it costs £25 a tablet. Not sure if she was winding me up or not :shock:
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby Natalie » Apr 01, 2005 9:03 am

Hi Hellon

I don't think she was winding you up - it is really really expensive. I think that's why they're so reticent about handing it over.

Also, the Ob. was trotting out the line that not enough tests have been done on Zofran blah blah and that is why they prefer to go down the other meds route first - they are more tried and tested or have been used for decades with no ill effects etc...

Well, my understanding is that of all drugs taken during pgy, Zofran is one of the safest and on which most research has been done. Much more than Stemitil, Cyclizine et al. After all, the Amercian FDA bumped it up from a Class C drug (like Stemitil) to a Class B. in the past year. I was thinking that maybe his info. is a bit out of date :?

Good to see you're almost at the finish line :)

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Apr 01, 2005 6:22 pm

You know, Natalie, I had to educate my dr here in Canada as well -- he was convinced that it only came in IV form too! Hmmm....what is with these drs that their patients have to enlighten them??? :?

So does the UK actually have 4 medications that they will prescribe to you while pregnant before you get to try Ondansetron??? Do IV's count as medicine??? :wink:

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Beccy » Apr 02, 2005 10:30 am

I am in the UK and just over 8 weeks, nothing was helping me so I printed off the meds page from this site and my GP gave me a prescription for zofran.

It is very expensive (around 110 pounds for thirty tablets) and I am on the max dose at the moment of 2 every six hours. It has helped alot and I am worried that it's going to stopped because of the cost.

I think the only reason i had no problems with getting it is I work for my GP as a health care assistant and because I am staff they'll try anything to help (plus it might get me back to work and they are short staffed!!)

She was reluctant anyway to begin with and it was only because I went in and said I can't take it anymore and I wanted a termination that it was suggested.

I do know how money works for GP's and dr's and it is a big issue with the prescribing budget, I suppose they see Zofran as an unecessary expense as we can live through HG, Ha Ha!

I digress, it is available in tablet form and I got it from my local boots, but if you want to try it on a private prescription it costs a bomb for a month supply if you are on the full dose. it is only used in the UK for the treatment of nausea/sickness during chemotherapy/radiotherapy.

I feel like apolagising to all you ladies in the UK (and elsewhere) who have been denied it because it seems to be helping and money shouldn't be the reason we are a denied a medication that can really help.

If there are any questions I can ask my GP for you then post to me and I'll try and get them answered for you.

Good Luck in getting your Zofran!

Beccy, Georgia aged 7, NVP, Cara aged 5 mild HG, Olivia aged 3, severe HG, no 4 EDD 8.nov.05 Hg controlled at present with zofran
Beccy
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies