Anyone familiar with Diclectin or Dendectin

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Anyone familiar with Diclectin or Dendectin

Postby jamijo » Apr 14, 2005 8:01 am

I just had my pre-consult with a new doctor. I am ttc and looking at my options.
He mentioned that his #1 choice of meds (Bendectin) is no longer available in the US but is still sold in Canada under the name Declectin. He mentioned that we could "mix" it up on our own by combining a few things (mainly Unisom and B6), but I was wondering if anyone had used it successfully.
Thanks for your input,
Jami :?
jamijo

Postby bibliojo » Apr 14, 2005 3:40 pm

Hi Jami,

I took Diclectin with my first pregnancy and found that it only worked for the first couple of days. I really don't think it is effective enough on it's own for HG. For regular morning sickness, yes but for HG, no. That said though, I am planning to take it again with this next pregnancy I am planning. Since I initally took it in 2002, I have found out that it is safe to take up to 8 tablets a day (I was only taking four) and it can be taken in conjunction with meds such as Dramamine, Reglan, Ranitidine, and Zofran. With my first pregnancy, I had tried taking Diclectin just on its own and then my dr had me drop it when we added other medications. Diclectin is probably the safest drug out there for use during pregnancy. There have been more studies done on Diclectin being used during pregnancy then Tylenol! If your doctor is willing, try and get a prescription for Diclectin (there are some internet pharmacies in Canada that will fill the prescription -- I think there is a link to one on this site. I shall try and find it for you) I only suggest this because Diclectin has a time release component that the Unisom and B6 combo is unable to imitate.

Best of luck ttc!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Apr 14, 2005 5:55 pm

Here is the link to the Canadian pharamacy that will fill a US prescription for Diclectin: http://www.mshorepharmacy.com/

Hth,
Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby jamijo » Apr 15, 2005 8:02 am

Thank you!!!
Jami
m/c Feb 2000
my angel "Kenzie" born 12-6-00
ttc NOW
jamijo

Postby rjdecker » Apr 16, 2005 4:44 pm

Jami,

with my first pg, my doctor gave me a script that helped a lot. When I found out what was in it, it was bendictin. the pharmacist mixed it up with b6 and it worked for me the whole pg. (It was supposed to be a secret because they were actually not supposed to be mixing that med here in the US). Every time I tried to go off it, I ended up in the hospital for a couple days with IV's. So, it did work well for me. I was told to keep taking it for the whole pg. Let us know how it works for you.

Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby HGx3 » Apr 18, 2005 9:29 pm

The b6/unisom combo that you will read about on this site is actually very similar to diclectin. So, if you want to take it, you can actually get it over the counter by purchasing unisom TABLETS, not the gelcaps, cutting them in half, and taking them in conjunction with b6. I can remember the actually mgs of each, so you will have to read the post by ivydragon that I believe is in the 1st trimester folder. Good Luck ttc!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby bunniet » Apr 23, 2005 10:24 am

I just take 1/2 a unisom with a preemesis my Dr. gave me...IT HELPS!
Cheri
bunniet
Opinionated HGer

Postby Jenny Lynne » Apr 27, 2005 2:56 pm

Me again here - I'm taking one Unisom and 50mg of B6 every night. I have not taken it two nights because I wanted to see if it really did help and I was worried that I would get addicted to it. Turns out, it really does help. A lot. Both of the times that I didn't take it, I was much, much sicker the next day. Absolutely miserable. So definitely give it a try.
Jenny
EDD 10/15/05
dx heG at 5.5 weeks
Jenny Lynne

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies