Anyone tried Vistaril?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Anyone tried Vistaril?

Postby Libbee » Jun 23, 2004 11:23 pm

I tried it for the first time last night and WOW! I went to the hospital for rehydration (again :?, four bags of fluid, ugh! ) and my nurse suggested the Vistaril. It does make me a little sleepy, but as long as I keep busy, its not too bad.

I am scared to get my hopes up too much, but I took my second dose before I got up this morning and guess what?.......NO ICKIES! I have not thrown up ALL DAY! I have gotten a little nausea a few times, but nothing I can't tolerate. All this when just two days ago I was throwing up a minumum of 5 times a day and constant nausea! This is the first time in a looooong time I didn't throw up in the morning.

I am hoping it is "the one" and not just me having a good day and being well hydrated. I can hope, can't I? :)
Libbee

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 24, 2004 8:08 am

That's wonderful, Libbee! Isn't it a grand feeling? That's how meclizine worked for me--like a switch had been turned off on the vomiting. It lasted, too, though I still had to run my daily liter of fluids. Made me wish I had found it 3 pregnancies ago. :) Enjoy your new vomit-free self!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

vistaril worked

Postby beachgirl » Jun 24, 2004 11:25 am

for me it was good
Last edited by beachgirl on Aug 24, 2004 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
beachgirl

Postby Libbee » Jun 24, 2004 2:00 pm

Lauri,
I did have the shot at the hospital, but at home I have the pill form. It is the generic for Vistaril, but it has worked just the same as the shot.

I am on 50mg every 4-6 hours but I have found that I only need to take it twice a day, first thing in the morning before I get up and late evening. These are my worst times and it gets me through it.

It does make me quite drowsy for an hour or two and I feel a little dopey, but it sure beats the alternative!!!

Libbee
Libbee

Vistaril was a false hope for me...boo hoo

Postby mokibeth » Jul 03, 2004 12:31 am

I was given vistaril in pill form first and it worked like a charm for weeks 6-12 but then no matter how I tried to take it or when it never worked again. :( I had to move on to stinkin' expensive Zofran but so far so good. I do miss the sleepy haze caused by Vistaril, it was nice to be able to just fall asleep. Sorry if this rains on anyones Vistaril high I hope and pray it works for all of you...if it doesn't let me know then I won't feel like such a party pooper.
15 weeks and counting-
Casey
mokibeth

Postby Libbee » Jul 10, 2004 8:00 pm

:( Well, it didn't last...after about a week and a half, it just quit working, this horrible nausea has returned with a vengence! :oops:

On the bright side, I did enjoy the break, it was so nice to feel somewhat normal again and it sure helped me sleep good at night.

Oh well, only 2 1/2 months left till this babe is born and it will all be over.
Libbee

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies