Does anyone take Zofran until the last trimester or longer?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Does anyone take Zofran until the last trimester or longer?

Postby madams » Feb 13, 2005 9:35 pm

I am 22 weeks pregnant and still have to take Zofran 8 mg/day. I tried to reduce the dosage but it didn't work. I am sick again. I am afraid that I have to take this much of Zofran until the delivery day. The doctor told me that it is safe but I am still concern about the baby. Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.
madams

Postby mammaclare » Feb 13, 2005 11:14 pm

Don't worry. Your doctor is right. There are many of us here who took Zofran until delivery, myself included. I never was able to get lower than 12mg a day and the last 6-8 weeks I was back up to 16mgs a day. My son is fine...a little hot-headed as he nears 18 months, but other than temper, he is a great and healthy guy.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby BlueEeyore » Feb 13, 2005 11:22 pm

Yep. Both pregnancies I took zofran well into the 3rd trimester. This time, I took it right up until the day I delivered AND I was on steroids for months. In fact, I'm just now weaning off the steroids and baby is 7 days old.

Both my dd's were healthy! :)

Oh, and I took 24mg zofran a day and 20mg of methylprednisolone.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby teddi » Feb 14, 2005 1:06 am

I too used Zofran from my early first tri until the end. Aside from terrible constipation, there were no longterm affects (or any affects at all) on my chidren.

If it helps you, pleeease take it. The third trimester is the most demanding on your body physically- this is the time when other complication (like Pre Eclampsia/Gestational Diabetes, etc) can show up. It's your last harrah at getting good nutrition/wt gain. The better of a last trimester you have, the more weight you baby will weigh (IMO) and the better recovery YOU will have.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby nomore » Feb 14, 2005 9:56 am

Hi,

I took zofran until delivery. I was able to get down to 4 mgs IV every other day, until the last 2 weeks before delivery when I took it daily. I wish I had been able to go to the 4md daily, but my DR was convinced I was addicted to it and was adament about the weaning! NExt time, I will not be so compliant at the end and keep taking it if I need it!!!!!!! My hubby was conivced (from the DR I was addicted too) and really pushed for me to wean. He couldnt believe I "went cold turkey" when I delivered! I said, I WASNT addicted!!!! I was sick and the zofran actually made me feel better!!! So... I took it from week 7 until the day my DD was born!

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby Marie » Feb 14, 2005 10:10 am

Hello,

I took Zofran until I delivered my first. My "baby" is now about to enter kindergarden and is perfectly healthy. I am now 18 weeks pregnant and on Zofran again. I don't have any plans to try to decrease my dose just yet, but will not attempt to stop the med completely until I deliver. I am currently on 16mg. a day.

Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby masondavis » Feb 21, 2005 10:26 am

I was really terrified about the same thing during my first pregnancy, 5 years ago. I desperately tried to "wean myself" off of it, but was unable to. I found myself to be very sick and miserable during that time.

There were no effects whatsoever on my daughter - she has been absolutely fine. Her pediatrician wasn't even interested in the fact that I had been on Zofran - he said it wasn't a big deal.

I'm at 36 weeks now with my second HG pregnancy, and I'm still taking 16 mg of Zofran a day (less than earlier in the pregnancy, but still very necessary). It has truly been a lifesaver for me and my family - and I feel very comfortable doing it! My doctor tells me that there are no reasons to be concerned about the continued use.

Don't worry, you're not alone! Best of luck to you!
Joyce
2 HG Pregnancies
edd: 5/21/05 - coming soon!
Mom of Julia 1/2000
masondavis

Postby sonie716 » Mar 11, 2005 5:22 pm

I took 8 mg zofran iv when i started then was using the iv less as the months went on but was on 16 mg zofran on the tongue, up untill the day i deliverd and quit cold turkey after that.
Casondra
Wife to Chris
Calvin 06/03 severe Hg
Angel in Glory 11/04
Catherine Moderate Hg 05/07
Carolynn Mild Hg 01/09
Chloe Mild Hg 03/10
Miscarriage 08/12
#5 due Aug 2013
sonie716
Been There Done That

Postby JulieinMN » Apr 23, 2005 6:48 pm

I have for my last 2 pregancies.

My 22 mo seems to be fine in all ways.

I still have those guilt thoughts and recurring "what - ifs" with this current baby.

I don't know why I was able to wean off earlier with my first 3 children, but my current toddler and baby to come I've had to continue. I am no longer sick as long as I take the Zofran, but if I miss it (4mg per day), I seem to be sick at the 24 hour mark and over. Believe me, I've tried, as I hate this medication, but I seem to need it.
JulieinMN

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies