Another remarkable steroid experience

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Postby meg » Feb 06, 2005 4:23 pm

I'm am so happy that things have improved a bit for you. :) I know that I am always learning from the other ladies around here so don't hesitate when you have a question -- someone is bound to be knowledgeable on just about every angle!
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

another remarkable steroid experience - comes to an end :(

Postby elizgay » Feb 07, 2005 11:58 pm

Hi there,
Just an update. I tapered down to 5 mg with the plan being I was to sty at that level for 4 more weeks (until I got to there I was better in my last pg). I relapsed on the first day at 5mg and was hospitalized for 4 days. They couldn't get me stabilized -- migraine and vomiting. They brought in an acupuncturist -- after 1+ hours of acupuncture I vomited green bile! I felt like a science experiment with all the drugs they tried. AT any rate I am home and headache, vomiting, nausea free for the last 24 hours. No they are trying beta blockers for the migraines and Vistaril at night. We'll see....

AEK, sorry you've joined us (with hg)! Although, this site is a lifesaver. It is the rare husb. who can be truly empathetic. I was taking 8 mg of Zofran 3x/day (but Zofran didn't help me). Let me know if you try the cocktail and if that works.

I seem to be out of options. Perhaps I should start over with the drugs I've tried!

Hang in there everyone! We found out we're having a girl, which is fun since we have a boy.

Take care!
Elizabeth
Mom to Elias, 2
EDD 6-14-04
elizgay

Struggled with steroids

Postby rachy » Mar 14, 2005 8:49 am

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, and have just been reading about your experiences with steroids. When my doctor put me on them (I'm from Australia) all other doctors I spoke to had no idea why he was doing it. They had never heard of using steroids for HG. JUst shows how much people don't know.
I think the steroids worked. I was still continually nauseous through the entire 9 months - but it did control the vomiting I guess (down to once or twice a day). But the thing I hated was...... the fat face (swollen and podgy) the severe acne break out and the depression when coming off them. I came off really slowly but I was so depressed - crying all the time and losing focus. Actually, even when I was on them, I couldn't concentrate on anything - couldn't even read a book. Majorly sucked. Wonder if anyone else has had the same experience?
I'm just about to start trying for my second - so any advice would be great.
Love Rach
rachy

Steroids...here I go again!

Postby Carcully » May 02, 2005 8:38 pm

Hi everyone...

My name is Bethany, and this is my 2nd pregnancy. I had HG with my first, and after trials of Reglan, Phenegran, Zofran, Compazine, and others...I was put on Prednisone at around 12-13 weeks. It worked wonders for me. I actually felt semi-normal again. When I tapered off, I relapsed a bit, but was managed by Zofran and Phenegran.

Currently, I'm 6 weeks along, and was hospitalized already for dehydration and severe nausea and vomitting. I saw my doctor today, and BEGGED him to do something else...I had horrible thoughts of termination, because I just can't bear the thought of this for months on end. (They tried everything at the hospital...Zofran, Phenegran, Anzamet, Compazine...but all were unsuccessful). SO...we started Prednisone again today. Yes, I'm nervous about taking it early....but at this rate, I wasn't going to survive it anyway. Oddly enough, my mother was caring for our 3 year old son while I was hospitalized, and met a lady at the park yesterday. She told my mom that she took Prednisone for her entire pregnancy, as she has Graves Disease, and both of her little ones are just fine...one is even in the gifted program at schoool. So, that gave me some relief.

Anyway...I hope this works. Sounds like many of you have had good results, too. Thinking of all of you, and wishing everyone all the very best!!
Take good care,
Bethany
Bethany
Mommy to Carson Anthony (8-17-01) and...
Cullen Michael (12-18-05)Image
Carcully
Been There Done That

Postby Marie » May 03, 2005 1:18 pm

Bethany,

Although many doctors like to hold off on the steriods till the end of the first trimester it is not unheard of to start them in the beginning and take them until delivery. My experience with steriods was also before 12 weeks, and the only reason I was not continued on them is because my peri did'nt think I could successfully handle the pill form of it once I was released from the hospital. My peri also mentioned the cleft lip/palate thing but said the occurrence rate was so low it was not something that concerned her.

I am glad you have found something to make HG a bit easier.

Take Care,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby Carcully » May 03, 2005 3:37 pm

Hi Marie,

Thanks for writing. It helps to hear that from someone else who has been there!

May I ask how long you were on the steroids? I am so afraid, because the last time I took them, I was already about 12-13 weeks, and after I came dowm off the Prednisone, I relapsed, and my doctor wouldn't do another round because he felt it wasn't safe. But, I hear of a lot of women who have to be maintained on it, even some throughout their entire pregnancies. I hope he doesn't pull the rug out from under me, just when I asm beginning to have some relief!

BTW..did you take any other drugs with the Prednisone, or after? I am also on Anzamet.

Thanks so much for writing!
Bethany
Bethany
Carcully
Been There Done That

Postby Marie » May 04, 2005 9:57 pm

Bethany,

I was only on the steriods while in the hospital (week 6) because my peri did'nt think I could swallow the pill form without getting sick from the taste. I was also at the time on Zofran, Pepcid, Phengren, Tigan, Unisom, and colace to battle the Zofran side effect. Now I am on Zofran, Unisom, and meds for PTL.
Kelly (Kaysdee) is currently on steriod maintence therapy, and I believe she has also had steriods prior to 12 weeks in a previous pregnancy.

When I first started posting here there was an Hger in her third trimester that had been on steriods her entire pregnancy, and the docs said that they would slowly wean her post partum. In her update she said her and baby were great and there were no complications from the long term steriod therapy.

Take Care,
Marie
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby Carcully » May 04, 2005 10:45 pm

Hi Marie,

Thanks for writing me back. That was encouraging news to hear. Are you feeling fairly well at this point in your pregnancy (with the meds, of course), or is it as bad as it was in the earlier stages?

Here's to happier times, and feeling better!
Bethany :)
Bethany
Carcully
Been There Done That

Postby Marie » May 05, 2005 11:36 am

Bethany,

I am doing better in the HG department. I am often nauseated, but I only vomit about once a week now. I am unfortunately having other pregnancy issues that are forcing me to take meds that are increasing the heartburn and nausea.

You can PM me or find me in the third trimester folder if you should ever need to talk. Don't hesitate to jump into the chats on any of the forums.
Looking forward to posting with you,
Take Care,
Marie
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby 3kids » May 06, 2005 7:05 am

Hi Bethany,

I have been on Prednisolone (not sure if that's the same as Prednisone) since 16 weeks. I started off on I think 30mg a day, but weaned down to 5mg after a few weeks. When I tried to come off them altogether I relapsed badly (around 22 weeks) so my doc has kept me on 5mg. I saw him again yesterday and he's happy for me to stay on that dose until the end. He said this dose is only marginally above what the body produces naturally, but obviously this must just be enough for me to keep HG at bay. I vomited every day with Jack until he was born (wasn't on steroids, didn't know anything about them). I'm still sick once or twice a week, but that is nothing compared to the hell before and I'm fortunate that the steroids also help my nausea.

I do still have many days when I don't "feel well", but I'm also anaemic, and the important thing is it doesn't stop me functioning. I can eat and drink, it's just I don't want to much as still dealing with aversions, no appetite etc.

I'm not on any meds in conjunction with the steroids, so this is all I need. I have previously tried Phenergan, Cyclizine and Stemetil (companzine?) with no effect so discontinued. The only thing that has worked is the Prednisolone, and it worked overnight literally. From throwing up 6 times on the Thursday to absolutely nothing on the Friday :D

Like I said, I didn't start until 16 weeks, but to be honest if I'd known about them I would have started sooner as the relief is night and day. I know there are risks associated, but they are pretty minor. I'd be more worried if I was on a larger dose, but as I managed to get to such a low maintenance level quite quickly, that gives me some reassurance.

My HG this time compared to Jack started 4 weeks earlier and hit A LOT harder. I've definitely been sicker this time, more weight loss etc, but it has been managed far far sooner (since it didn't go until he was born, lol, so 16 weeks compared to 33 when he was born). I believe if I wasn't on the steroids I'd still be the same, so I don't think it's because HG has ended earlier for me, just it is better treated.
Kelly, 30

3 m/c's

Jack, 3. HG 10w-birth
Katie, 2. HG 7w-birth
Ben, 7.5mo. HG 6w-birth

3kids
Been There Done That

Previous

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies