TV show on Australian TV this Tuesday

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in Australia and NZ to discuss HG and pregnancy.

Moderators: Trudy, Roni84, Moderators

TV show on Australian TV this Tuesday

Postby Kadinga » May 15, 2005 2:09 am

Hi all,

I've just heard that the ABC (Australia) is airing a program on "women who are very sick in pregnancy" on Tuesday night at 6:30. I haven't seen any advertising or previews, I just heard it from a friend. I thought it might be worth a look, and it will be interesting to see what people think of it.

:)

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby bibliojo » May 15, 2005 9:41 am

I'd be interested in seeing this! I wonder if they will show any video clips on their website??? Do you have the website address for this tv station?

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Kadinga » May 15, 2005 8:59 pm

Done some searching and this site...

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/netw/200 ... 183000.htm

....seems to show as much about the program in advance as any other. I'll have another look after it airs to see if there's anything more interesting then.

:)

Amanda
Kadinga
Devoted to You

excellent

Postby IslandDreamer » May 15, 2005 11:04 pm

That's exciting. Can't wait to hear how the show is.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Kadinga » May 18, 2005 6:08 am

Darn it! :x

I missed it! The house got busy before I programmed the video and then I didn't think of it until 6:55 and it had finished! :x (frustration)

Anyway, there is a brief transcript at this address:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/secondopinion/txt/s1359916.htm
and it looks interesting, especially the bit about kinesiology. Had anyone else heard of this?

I'm disappointed though that the word hyperemesis doesn't get a mention. I've written to them on their contact link to tell them this, and I think everyone esle should, too. The more letters they get the more likely that they'll get the message. It's a dreadful shame that the topic has been touched on but the name not mentioned, as the women out there who have this but don't know what it's called have no hope of finding any useful information.

In case anyone is interested, this is what I've written to them:
I was disappointed to miss the story on pregnancy as I vomitted for my whole 9 months too. Are you re-airing it on free-to-air in Australia?
More importantly, I was very disappointed that you apparently didn't use the appropriate terminology. Hyperemesis is not just bad morning sickness. More information is easily accessible at www.helpher.org . Women have died from this recently in the US for lack of understanding. Television programmes such as yours could change that by making the public more aware.

Hopefully I wasn't too harsh. I've had a bad day, and maybe I shouldn't have written to them straight away.......

Cheers to all

Amanda
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby Traci in Japan » May 18, 2005 9:09 am

I aksed my sister and my parents to tape it. Sister is in NZ on business so she didn't get it. My Mum was working so Dad was in charge!! If he managed to get it taped you are welcome to see it. I will talk to them this weekend and let you know.
Traci in Japan
Australian, three boys (hg pregnancies and births in Japan)
Traci in Japan
Welcomed Friend

Postby Kadinga » May 18, 2005 9:24 pm

Thanks Traci. You're a star

:D

Amanda
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby Traci in Japan » May 22, 2005 1:49 am

Hi Amanda

Sorry to have to tell you that Dad did not manage to get the video player to work. I hope ABC reruns the show.
Sorry!!!
Traci in Japan
Australian, three boys (hg pregnancies and births in Japan)
Traci in Japan
Welcomed Friend

Postby Kadinga » May 22, 2005 10:07 pm

Thanks for trying Traci. :) They are re-running it on ABC 2, which we can't get because we don't have cable, but I'm going to ask around as some of our friends do.

They sent me a pat reply to my email, with a "fact sheet" that had no more information than was on the website.

I'm putting a copy here for discussion if anyone is interested in the kinesiology thing. As you can see, "Francesca" looks like an HG girl. I find it really frustrating that they couldn't use the word "Hyperemesis" in their program.

Amanda

"What is Kinesiology?Kinesiology works by releasing blockages and dysfunctions from the body to let the body’s natural healing process function more effectively and thus aid in the healing process. Kinesiology is a ‘wellness’ model that encompasses holistic health disciplines which incorporate gentle manual muscle monitoring to monitor feedback about the person. The therapy involves physical, emotional, mental and spiritual wellbeing. Structural, biochemical, emotional and electrical – the body has all those systems and kinesiology works on a number of different levels at once. Helps prepare the body so that they can heal themselves.

Kinesiology uses flower essences, nutritional supplements, neuro-lymphatic treatment, acupressure, herbal medicine and counseling.

Lisa Bolton has a diploma of Health Services specializing in Holistic Kinesiology from the Kinesiology College for Energetic Sciences in Melbourne. She is an accredited member of the Australian Traditional Medicine Society.

Patient profile: Francesca Gray
Francesca, 31, had a rough time during her first pregnancy and took steps to ease her through her second. During her first pregnancy with Willem she experienced constant sickness 24 hours a day, towards end of the pregnancy developed gestational diabetes. She went through a difficult labour that resulted in an emergency caesarean, and thought the whole time during that that she was going to die.
On falling pregnant the second time, Francesca started to feel ill again. She found kinesiologist Lisa Bolton who helped get Francesca on the right path. On first consultation, Lisa takes the full history of a person - personal, nutritional, family health history, and the reason why the person walks into her clinic.
Lisa calms Francesca and the help she has given her made her feel so much better. She knows she is on the right path with Lisa.
"
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Return to Aussie/NZ Mothers