question about zantac

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

question about zantac

Postby mommy_bug2 » May 07, 2005 1:33 pm

Can anyone tell me how this worked for them or if it has effects either on yourself or on your baby? I looked in the medication list but it had no notes saying either of these two questions.

Phenergan is not working and my insurance will not pay for Zofran.

Thanks much,
Marjie
mommy_bug2
Been There Done That

Postby teddi » May 07, 2005 2:43 pm

Zantac is a class B drug, meaning that while it hasn't been proven safe, it is believed to be safe. Zantac is only for heartburn though- while it can relieve NV from that- Zofran works completely differently, so I'd be a little leary of using JUST Zantac instead of Zofran. I used Zantac during two pregnancies, no harm to my 3 babies. However I will say, during my last pregnancy it stopped being very effective in my 3rd trimester, and I wish I would have tried an PPI instead.

Other things you can try is Unisom/B6 combo (Bendectin). Perhaps they will cover Anzemet or Kytril? Those are "sister" drugs to Zofran, they are also both still pretty expensive. There is also Tigan, Compazine, or Meclizine or Dramamine. I actually did find Meclizine helpful- I took it mainly at night. Helped me get a better night's sleep & on those days I felt less nauseated & vomited less & ate/drank more. There's also Reglan too.

Check out the list of medications page for more info.http://www.helpher.org/hyperemesis-grav ... ations.php
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby oparc » Jun 10, 2005 7:50 pm

I had the same ? because my dr. just switched me from Zofran (which I thought was helping) to Zantac. I'm 14 weeks. She said to try it and still have me the Zofran script to fill if the Zantac doesn't work. So, I'm giving it a try this weekend. If it makes things worse, I'm going back on the Zofran.
oparc

Postby IslandDreamer » Jun 10, 2005 8:50 pm

Zantac is working for me for reflux, but I don't know about how well it does with other HG symptoms. Unisom/b6 would be the cheapest option available...check the Unisom/b6 pinned thread in first or second trimester for more information.

Also, if Zofran isn't possible, Phenegran doesn't work, then there are other options. When I was pg with Hope, I had trouble with my doc prescribing anything other than Zofran (didn't work), Reglan (I'm allergic), and Phenegran (which caused me lots of cramping worse than the HG). Basically, she was uneducated and needed to be informed on the option. Maybe your doc just needs a little help getting up to speed.

Good luck,
Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby oparc » Jun 13, 2005 7:42 pm

just to update, the Zantac didn't work and I'm back on the Zofran. What a huge difference, the Zofran is working well for me.
oparc

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies