Vistaril - how safe???

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Vistaril - how safe???

Postby sickmama » Jun 04, 2005 10:39 pm

Hi, I've been working on my protocol and was going to add Vistaril to my list of medications, but the research I've done on it says it is contraindicated for early pregnancy (first trimester), because of risk of congenital defects. What is your experience (those who have taken it)?
Karen - HG Survivor
Mother of Miya Laurenza, born June 5, 2003 - severe HG until 16 weeks, then mild HG until delivery
Siena Michaela - due July 16, 2010 - mild HG 5-16 weeks, medically fluffy since then.
Blog: http://hgkaren.blogspot.com

"Courage is not about being unafraid, it is being scared, and doing it anyway!"
sickmama
Been There Done That

Postby Marie » Jun 06, 2005 11:31 am

Hello. I know of two members who currently have on hand or are currently taking this med. Jenny who is in the second trimester has taken it for a while now, and has had it in previous pregnancies so I think she would be a good one for an answer to this question.

My doc would'nt let me try it :cry: , so I don't have any experience with this med. Sorry I am not much help.

Take Care,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby nomore » Jun 06, 2005 12:24 pm

It is a category C mediation in pregnancy (which the same as phenergan and compazine). I did my research too :)

I talked to my Peri about it and he was willing to give it a try. I got a script for it at my pregnancy confirmation visit (along with zofran). The Dr I saw didnt seem to convinced it could help (which I have heard otherwise..lol), but he didnt seem concerned about me taking it. :)

HTH,

Got my visitirl right here, in case I need it :)

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby HGx3 » Jun 06, 2005 11:34 pm

I took it, and it may have helped a little. It is often used as an antiemetic , primarily used to subside nausea after surgery. It is also used for sedation, and helps with anxiety, as it is also classified as an anthistamine. My ob felt it was safe, and allowed me to double my dose as needed!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby pippa » Jun 13, 2005 8:58 pm

Vistaril is Category C here, but A in Australia, which means that they have seen no indications of any birth defects when taken during 1st trimester. Every time I get paranoid about a med, I check other countries as well...sometimes a medication has been used more frequently there and has better studies. HTH!

~ pippa

^i^ Baby ^i^ 4.95
Beanie 1.10.00 - severe NVP
^i^ Sprout ^i^ 6.01
Buster 3.07.02 - normal NVP
Bug 8.10.03 - normal NVP
Tattoo (One determined baby... got past a tubal ligation!) due 9.23.05 - HG for something different
pippa
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies