disability & hospital insurance

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

disability & hospital insurance

Postby JennyK » Jun 28, 2005 10:30 pm

I see there are recent posts about AFLAC, but I thought I'd add this. I posted this in the "preparation" folder, so I'll just cut and paste it here:
- - - - - - -
In preparation for my next pregnancy, I have been doing research regarding disability and hospital insurance. The disability policy pays about 2/3 of my net income if I cannot work due to disability or injury. Hospital insurance pays a fixed amount for each day in the hospital.

In case anyone else is interested, here is what I've found:

AFLAC will write policies so long as you haven't had HG within the past 12 months. I have talked to other HGers who have gotten claims paid by AFLAC for subsequent HG pregnancies, so I am hopeful they won't give me any grief over it. I was blatant with my agent about why I need the policy and she helped me figure out the best options based on my needs.

The premiums are high, but well worth it if I am not able to work and/or need to be hospitalized. (Nothing would make me happier than to pay the premiums and then have a healthy pregnancy!) Below are the premiums quoted for me along with a summary the benefits I think I am likely to take advantage of. They are based on my age, occupation and income, so your premiums may be different, but at least it will give you a ballpark.

AFLAC – Voluntary Indemnity Plan (hospital insurance)
premium $27.90/mo
benefits:
$100/day for days 1-7; day means 14 hours
$100/short stay; short stay means 6 hours
includes hospital stay for childbirth
can purchase initial hospitalization rider for $500 benefit

AFLAC – Personal Sickness Indemnity Plan (hospital insurance)
premium (including $1000 initial hospitalization rider)
$62.25/mo
benefits:
$100/day for 1-15 days; day means 14 hours
$250 initial hospitalization; can purchase rider for total of $1000 for initial hospitalization
$300 for delivery
includes hospital stay for childbirth

AFLAC – Personal Disability Income Protector
premium (paid with post-tax dollars): $105.20/mo
benefits:
approx. 2/3 of my net income
covers 6 weeks post partum
7-day waiting period for benefits for sickness
pays 100% of benefit so long as I earn less than 80% of my base salary due to disability

There is also hospital insurance available to me through my profession, which may be a better deal than AFLAC's policy because it pays more per day and covers home health expenses. Check to see if you are a member of a professional organization that offers insurance.

It gives me peace of mind knowing that this insurance will help me financially. I can't control the fact that I am likely to get hyperemesis again, but I can be prepared. I hope this information will be helpful to someone else out there who is planning to do it again!
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment