yoga relieved my nausea

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

yoga relieved my nausea

Postby JennyK » Jul 01, 2005 1:11 pm

Wanted to post this in case anyone wants to try it.

After I got my PICC out I joined a weekly prenatal yoga class. (More than once I had to excuse myself from class to vomit though!) One position gave me more relief from nausea than did zofran.

I don't know what the position is called, but lie on your back with your legs running up the wall. Elevate your butt slightly on a bolster or pillow. Keep your feet hip distance apart.

My yoga instructor said this position relieves nausea, although I can't remember the explanation. Boy was she right!

Another note, just in case a reader doesn't already know this, not all yoga positions are safe when pregnant, so make sure you are following a prenatal yoga program. Certain positions can stop blood flow to the fetus.

If this yoga position works for anyone else I'd be interested to hear about it. I stayed in this position for long periods of time, even after my feet went completely numb--but it was worth it because I wasn't nauseated!!
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby Jolene » Jul 01, 2005 9:02 pm

I ordered a prenatal yoga dvd from Barnes & Noble. I just got it today, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I will let you know how it goes.

Jolene
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 01, 2005 10:22 pm

LOL - That sounds like the position I used to try to get Reilly to flip the last month of pregnancy! :wink: I'd "sit" like that and watch TV upside down for awhile every night. I can't comment on nausea relief, though I did have to be careful about heartburn if I'd just eaten my usual cereal supper. Very interesting point about yoga--I think we'd all like a little natural relief from HG!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby HGx3 » Jul 02, 2005 11:31 pm

Very interesting!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby JennyK » Jul 04, 2005 5:37 pm

Pamela,

Yep, that's the same yoga position the women in my class with breach babies were supposed to do as much as possible!
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies