Upping Zofran?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Upping Zofran?

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Jul 13, 2005 5:09 am

Hi all,

Any advice? I'm taking 4mg of Zofran 2 times a day. It's starting to lose its effect, and I'm debating whether to take more or not. My doctor gave me an 8mg prescription 2 days ago, but I'm holding out. I want to take as little as possible, but I'd better not be too much of a hero either. I've been taking it for about 3-4 weeks. First it was only 1 pill of 4mg a day, now its 2 since about 10 days ago. Can it be time to up it so soon again?

Hugs
Sarah in Oslo

13 1/2 weeks preg with number 1. HG since week 4.
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby Beth B » Jul 13, 2005 7:54 am

It can, and I would. Many of us take/took 8mg 3x a day, so you still have a lot of increasing you could do if needed. Don't be afraid to take more if you need it - you want to stay ahead of the nausea and vomiting, if you can.
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

Postby Trudy » Jul 14, 2005 4:34 pm

I say, if you need to take more then do so. It will only help. I take 1 a day at the moment but some days take 2 as I need.

Take care
Trudy
Trudy

3x HG Pregnancies
Abby and Laura went to heaven Oct 2002
Beth born 21 May 2004
Adam born 7th Feb 2006

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".
Trudy
Forum Moderator

Thanks!

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Jul 15, 2005 4:25 am

Thanks, both of you! It is so scary to figure it out on my own!
:) Sarah
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby AmberWest » Jul 15, 2005 10:36 am

Sara,

I am also on 8 mgs a day every 8 hours. So as suggested if you want to take it slow on increasing your medication you still have a long way to go. Personally I know that when I ran out the other week, when I knew it was going to happen I started to taper down because I was warned how horrible cold turkey was, well I have to say, even just 4mgs every 8 hours was horrible for me.
Good luck and I hope you start to feel better real soon.

Amber
AmberWest
Master of HG

Postby IslandDreamer » Jul 16, 2005 3:28 pm

I currently taking 8 mg three times/day. I was at 2 and just found myself feeling crappier and crappier and called and told the doc I was going up... :lol: ...definitely earned my "Opinionated HGer" title that day. If you find yourself moving backwards in terms of fluid and foodment intake, then I'd say it's time to go up.

Good luck. Oh, ya, and if you go up on the Zofran, remember to consider going up on the anti-constipation med (whatever you're using) to counteract that particular side effect.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby k3tglazier » Jul 16, 2005 6:37 pm

yeah I can testify to that. I have been on the Zofran pump for 3 weeks now and have not taken anything for consitpation. I wasn't sure if I needed it. I didn't know if I wasn't pooping because I am not eating, because it was feeling uncomfortable. Well today I think I am going to explode!!!!!! I am so constipated. :oops: (TMI) I am wondering if colace is over the counter since that seems to be the laxitive of choice or if there is something else I could try for the weekend?
Keri
3 X HG Survivor...surviving #4
ds........Jan 26, 2000
ds........June 15, 2002
dd........Dec 27, 2005
ds.........due 1/21/09 PICC line X 2 TPN, Zofran, dexamethazone, scopolamine
7 wks-???
k3tglazier
Been There Done That

Postby IslandDreamer » Jul 16, 2005 6:40 pm

Colace is over the counter. If you're backed up completely :shock: (been there) then the green bottle of magnesium citrate (yucky drink) will give you relief in about 24 hrs. Well, that's how long it was for me to get relief. With magnesium citrate (I spoke with my doc), no more than say 2 g a day. Women with PreEclampsia get a lot more, so the typical less than 2 g dose is okay. But check with your doc if you have concerns.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby k3tglazier » Jul 16, 2005 6:47 pm

ok thanks so much. I will send my dh out right now to get some. As soon as he finishes cleaning the bathrooms!!!! :wink: I feel so bad. I mess up the toilets and he has to go in there and clean them up.
Keri
3 X HG Survivor...surviving #4
ds........Jan 26, 2000
ds........June 15, 2002
dd........Dec 27, 2005
ds.........due 1/21/09 PICC line X 2 TPN, Zofran, dexamethazone, scopolamine
7 wks-???
k3tglazier
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies