Long Term Disability

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Long Term Disability

Postby Jolene » Jul 20, 2005 4:10 pm

I have been out of work since the end of February and I finally applied for Long Term Disability after I realized I was able to. I didn't apply until last month and they just sent in a request for medical records, etc. I just got off the phone with the company, UNUM, that could approve it, and I got the third degree. I understand some people try to file false claims, but HG is a real condition! I was at a loss for words with some of the questions she asked me. You all know how HG is, some days are good and you can do things, like errands and grocery shopping, other days you are laid up in bed and can't barely get up. Will they understand this and approve me? I have a feeling not. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I never quite know how to explain what HG is exactly, especially when I am on the spot like that. I usually say it is somewhat like morning sickness, only a million times worse that lasts for months and months. I guess that sums it up, but then most people will say, all pregnant women get morning sickness. I feel so discouraged, almost like she thought I was faking it. Does anyone get long term disablity?

I also have to send in my intent to employ for the fall school year and I am so reluctant. How do I know if I will feel up to working when I am almost nine months pregnant? If I send it in and can't work, I put them in a spot not having anyone to work for me. If I don't send it in, I will lose my position with the school department unless I continue getting LTD coverage. It is that nasty catch 22 that I have come across so often lately.

I just needed to unload....thank ladies!

Jolene
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby nomore » Jul 20, 2005 8:23 pm

Jolene,

When prego with Madison I was on Long Term Disability (after my short ran out).

It was rather easy to get approved for me as I was on IVs still 24 hours a day and could barely leave the house. They didnt give me a problem in the 3rd trimester, when I could get out every once in a while, as my DR continued to say I was not physically capable of handling a high stress job.... and I wasnt.... I lost SO very much muscle tone and was still very weak until after delviery. I even had SEROIUS concerns about being able to have a vaginal birth. (But, adreline kicked in and ALL I could think about was this huge ordeal would finally be done if I could just push her out....... and I did it!!!)

Anyways, can your DR work with the LTD company to keep you out? What are his/her feelings? Wishing you brighter days.

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby Christi » Jul 20, 2005 8:29 pm

Jolene,
I dont recall what you do for the school system, but I do think you should put in an intent and then go directly to your boss (principal) and et her know that you will plan on wrking after the baby is born. You will be so close to delivery that they should understand that. You are entitled to up to 12 weeks of leave for child birth...so you can just take a few before the baby is born. Many women without complications take time before the birth...Good Luck!
christi
Mom of 4 HG babies
daughter: 12-97
son: 8-01
son: 10-05
son 3-08
>o< mc:01-07
Christi
Opinionated HGer

Postby JennyK » Jul 20, 2005 11:07 pm

Have you looked at your LTD policy? Most that I have seen require that you are unable to do a certain number of "activities of daily living" to get benefits. The activities are defined in the policy and include things like toileting and feeding. If this is the case for your policy I think it would be up to what your doctor signs off on and their independent review of your records.

As far as explaining it to the insurance company, maybe you could prepare a list of things to tell them ahead of time. For example, it's a serious condition that women can die from if not treated; it involves losing 5-10% or more of body weight at a time when you are supposed to be *gaining* weight; most women are unable to take care of themselves and their families.

I hope they pay out for you!!! Let us know.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby Jolene » Jul 21, 2005 10:18 am

Thanks for your support ladies!

Jolene
Jolene
HG Diva

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment