Reglan

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Reglan

Postby IslandDreamer » Jul 29, 2004 2:41 am

Anyone else hallucinate on this one?

Had it in an IV at the ER and got very anxious, then heard a newborn crying, and ob/gyn is NOT near ER.

When I miscarried 2 weeks later :cry: , I wondered if it was MY baby crying. . . .My doctor quickly listed me as allergic to Reglan. . . :shock:
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

How awful...

Postby artbeware » Jul 29, 2004 10:53 am

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I did not hallucinate on reglan, but took it for about a week after my first ER visit (at almost 7 weeks) and promptly got much, much sicker. It made me vomit more often (though less violently) but did not help me keep anything down. I may have just been getting sicker anyway, but I swear the reglan made it worse. Zofran helped me enormously.

Best wishes to you in mourning your lost one and good luck trying again (if you do).
artbeware

just remembered

Postby artbeware » Jul 29, 2004 11:38 am

Reglan made me really, really anxious and jittery also. I remember reading that side effects can include hallucinating. This drug is just not for you or me!
artbeware

Reglan and anxiety

Postby IslandDreamer » Jul 29, 2004 12:47 pm

Yes, totally jittery. I was 6-7 weeks for the Reglan, too. I couldn't even handle sitting still, after the baby crying thing, for the second bag of fluids. Hope this one works for someone.

Thank you for your kind words about Hope. Did your sweet bub land safely? Sure hope so.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby HGx3 » Jul 29, 2004 11:29 pm

In hg terme, I am the reglan QUEEN. It was the ONLY drug that controlled my nausea in all three of my pgs. Yes, it made me VERY anxious, I wanted to jump out a window at times....but the longer I took it, the better it got. I had bouts of the jitters and suffered from panic attacks. I took 10 mg every 3.5 to 4 hours from week 5 thru delivery!!!

I have had it subq, iv,im and po!!!!! So if you ever have any questions, feel free to call on me!!!!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby emily » Jul 30, 2004 12:34 am

Wow, interesting hearing people's experiences. I took reglan in the third trimester. I didn't notice any effects from it (good, bad, or helpful for vomitting/nausea).
emily
Devoted to You

Postby carriedodson » Jul 30, 2004 9:47 am

Suzanne,

Bless your heart! I was on reglan infusion with #1 from 6 wks to 6 mos. and I don't think it did much. But it was my first pg and I didn't know better, I am now 7 wks pg and on 24 mg zofran and hoping to stay away from the reglan evil. In retrospect, it made me lethargic and unable to do simple chores. I also had recurring dreams and feelings I was choking on batteries. I would wake up and swear I had swallowed something like a battery or watch. I am otherwise normal : )
So yes, I think it does cause hallucinations. Can you try something else? Hugs and keep us posted, you can do it!
Carrie, edd 3-15-05
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

Re: Reglan

Postby danimomof2girls » Jul 30, 2004 11:21 am

I had reglan with the first pregnancy and it was like a spit in the ocean so we didn't even try it the 2nd pregnancy. I think it's safe to say that I've had any and every medication for HG including TPN infusion via a Hickman Cathetor in my chest. I never hallucianted with Reglan however I did with Thorazine. I believe that Reglan is a prescription that aids in digestion quicker so that you have less chance of reflux and throwing up. It didn't work for me though. Zofran worked the best, but even that lost its touch over time.
I am so sorry for your loss. I had an early miscarriage and I know that it is heartbreaking. I do have two beautiful daughters though. Take comfort in knowing that there was obviously something wrong in the pregnancy to cause your body to miscarry. Also, I think mothers have very strong intuitions. It may have not been the Reglan, but instead your intuition that caused you to hear a baby. My thoughts are with you in future pregnancies!
Dani
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

Postby mommyC3 » Aug 01, 2004 12:02 pm

Wow! Does this post ever make me feel a whole lot better! I am 11 weeks pregnant, suffering from HG for my fourth time. I finally gave in and went to the ER yesterday for IV fluids. I have been taking Phenergan for the vomiting, but they gave me Reglan in the IV yesterday. I have never had a problem in my previous pregnancies with having an IV, and I hate needles!!!!! In the past, they have opened the thing up and just let it run into me. Yesterday, they had it on a pump...three drops at a time. Within about ten minutes of receiving it, I started having hot flashes and felt very aggitated and wanted to get out of there. I sat on the edge of the bed trying to rationalize my flustered state. I finally decided that i was getting worked up from watching and listening to the IV pump and convinced a nurse to take it off the pump. I thought it was just me, but...maybe it was the Reglan?!?!? Whew!! :O)
mommyC3

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 03, 2004 6:43 pm

Reglan made me exhausted and severely depressed. When my husband would come home from work and ask me what I wanted, I usually replied, "a gun." We now list me as allergic to reglan.

Zofran has been the most effective for me. Particularly IV zofran. But it still isn't all that great.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby tigergirl2346 » Jun 08, 2005 6:51 pm

Wow! I am looking at switching to zophran from anzamet because I am just not getting better. I didn't know about reglan, but my nurse told me to avoid it because it can cause depression, and I have a history of depression from my last pregnancy. I thought I would get on here and check it out. I'm sorry you had to go through all that though... Hugs :)
Becca
tigergirl2346

Postby HGx3 » Jun 08, 2005 7:21 pm

tigergirl2346 wrote:Wow! I am looking at switching to zophran from anzamet because I am just not getting better. I didn't know about reglan, but my nurse told me to avoid it because it can cause depression, and I have a history of depression from my last pregnancy. I thought I would get on here and check it out. I'm sorry you had to go through all that though... Hugs :)

I strongly encourage you to at least try reglan before forming an opinion about it. Though it does not work for everyone, it was the only drug that offered me much relief at all. It would be worth a try, and I encourage you to consider it! I have talked about the side effects here before, so just read, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies