What's your profession?

The HER Foundation presented a Congressional Briefing on Sept. 28, 2005.

Moderator: Kimber

Postby mandy » Aug 06, 2005 2:52 am

Beth -

As it was a Private School they start them young! Proper grey school uniforms, caps, satchels, everything at just 2! I was expected to teach them to read at this age and send home work home every day. Me, being a softy (and realist) managed to change the system for that class and make it more of a 'learn through play' experience rather than a sitting and learning year. Home work made an appearance once a week at week ends. Some of our private schools are pretty strict and parents want to see results in evidence of learning not in the child being happy and settled at that age. (A major achievement to me!) It was a great job and I felt I made a big difference although it's probably gone back to the old ways since I left ...........................

Mandy x
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby Proudmama » Aug 06, 2005 10:41 am

Hello Everyone,
There is definitely a variety of careers (I include SAHMs, that is a full time job in itself) listed here. Let me add one more...I am a Meteorologist. I have a BS in Meteorology. I also attended Graduate School for Atmospheric Physics. Most days I love my job but I would rather be a SAHM. Unfortunately, my family depends on a two person income.
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby HGx3 » Aug 06, 2005 4:35 pm

Well I have an Associates in Business, and stopped there because I was going to school and working full time at a bank. I had lots of petential and was promoted from a teller, to a head teller,very quickly.I finally was promoted again to being over the entire state as a branch administrator. I would go to each branch, and work very closely with the manager and head teller to maximize talent and schedule issues, as well as helping each branch on meeting quotas and so forth. Then I got hg, after trying to become pg was a few years. I never expecte to have to leave my job before my baby came. In fact, I wasn't sure if I would continue working or SAH when I first concieved. I was on leave for a year! I had to return when Matthew was 6 months old, due to some insurance issues(if I didn't go back and give them so much time, they could require me to payback claims :roll: ). I returned as a part time teller, worked 2 weeks, and found out I WAS PREGNANT WITH LAURYN!!!!!! :oops: :lol:

They were PISSED!!!! Needless to say, I was so sick yet again, and no longer recieved a full timers benefits, so I simply put in my notice.
I have been a SAHM ever since. I think I have said this here before, but if I were to list my official titles that I now hold here, I would run out of room!!! :D
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 07, 2005 12:08 am

I am a high school English teacher. I have degrees in Art and Language Arts secondary education, and in the 10 years I've been teaching I've taught 7th and 8th grade art, 7th, 9th, 11th, and 12th grade English, several literature, creative writing, and academic writing courses. I teach a writing class through a local university, too. I take graduate-level classes to update my licensure, but I'll wait until the kids are a little older to start a Master's program.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby carla » Sep 09, 2005 9:16 pm

It is so interesting to find out what everyone does for a living. I have 2 degrees from university. My first was a BA in psychology. I returned to uni. after working for a year with children and adolescents in residential treatment. I took an after degree in Education, and have been working as a teacher since 2000. Now I am on a medical leave and my hubby is supporting me. He is a firefighter. What does everyone elses husband's do?
Severe HG with DD (Gracee) 30/03/2006
Severe HG with DD (Amara) 01/04/2008
carla
HG Diva

Postby RebeccaM » Sep 10, 2005 12:15 am

Well, since you asked...I'm the wife of a firefighter too! :) Firefighter/paramedic I should say since over 80% of their calls are medicals. I'm not too happy with his job right now though. They are changing from 24 hour shifts to 48 hour shifts. It will be 2 days on, 4 days off. That will suck. Has you dh's department sent people to new orleans? They begged my dh to go but I said no way. He has been working WAY too much as it is and we have a 2 month old at home.

As for me, I was a graphic designer before I became a SAHM. I've also got experience in journalism. I'd LOVE to start my own magazine some day. I'm a magazine junky!
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby Natalie » Sep 10, 2005 6:38 pm

Hi

Well, I'm an Occupational Therapist and I work mainly on a Respiratory ward with patients who have Asbestosis, COPD (lung disease from smoking mainly) and Lung Ca. I have also been doing a lot of Oncology in the last year where all the patients are palliative care and almost all are at the end stage of their illnesses.

I don't know how I ended up as an OT because my first degree was in History lol

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby Guest » Sep 10, 2005 11:52 pm

I am currently majoring in pre-med/psychology. I want to be a child psychologist with the FBI or a major Law Enforcement Agency. It will take me longer than usual to finish because I am also juggling work and family. I work as a bartender and as a crisis counselor for a christian crisis pregnancy center. But, like most of you, being a mother is the best job I will ever have. The benefits are amazing and the pay is more than I ever imagined it would be!!

Postby k3tglazier » Sep 12, 2005 8:55 pm

It is so fun to read through what everyone else does, what a diverse group of women that we have. All with the same horriable disease.
I almost hate to admit what I do because I know some of you have had bad experiences with them. But some of you already know what I do.
I am an ultrasound technition. I LOVE MY JOB most days!!!!!!! However it is VERY stressful and there is a lot of pressure on you to get everything right.

I got out of school in 1997. I am and x-ray tech that specialized in ultrasound. I worked in a big hospital full time for 8 years and took call and did lots of ER work and I love that. I do ultrasounds for every and I mean EVERY part of the body that you can imagine. Some are quite humiliating but you get over that quick. I went into ultrasound because of doing babies (thats all I thought it was used for at the time) but ended up loving the other aspects of the job much more than just OB. I got a vast array of experience at this trauma one center in Utah and loved it. But we have since moved to Arizona and I had entended on staying home with my 2 boys but I missed my patients and working with Dr.s so much that I went back to work 2 days a week 6 months ago. I work at an OB/GYN office now and love the office and my patients but I really miss doing a variety of exams. Babies are so cute but I still miss ER work. Anyways blah-blah-blah!!!!!!! Thats me in a nut shell.
Keri
3 X HG Survivor...surviving #4
ds........Jan 26, 2000
ds........June 15, 2002
dd........Dec 27, 2005
ds.........due 1/21/09 PICC line X 2 TPN, Zofran, dexamethazone, scopolamine
7 wks-???
k3tglazier
Been There Done That

Postby mammaclare » Sep 15, 2005 11:23 pm

I am a hospital sales representative for a pharmaceutical company. My undergrad was Psych and Bio and I was pre-med but got a little de-railed by organic chem and ended up not going to med school.

DH is a SAH-daddy and also started a home business building custom golf clubs and repairing/reshafting/regripping clubs.

I would love to go back and get an MSN/NP and see patients like I originally intended since I was 9 years old...but with an NP it would cut the trainign time in half and less costly than med school (otherwise I would even consider that one). Of course as I am the money earner, instead I am sticking w/ pharma sales and am in the management development training....
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby shermsen3 » Sep 17, 2005 11:02 am

I am currently a SAHM but I volunteer for a couple of organizations such as Elizabeth Ministry and my son's Home School Association.

In my past life I received a Associate's Degree in Accounting and worked for a construction company traveling across the US setting up and working at jobsites handling all the documentation and accounting for that particular job. I loved it I got to see so much of the US!
shermsen3

Previous

Return to DC DELEGATION TO CAPITOL HILL